Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Death of Kings (Emperor, #2)
This topic is about The Death of Kings
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Death of Kings [Sept 24, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko (chokog) | 7717 comments Spot!

Bill | 2150 comments I just abandoned this series last week so of course you all decided to buddy read it. I will probably jump back into it if I manage to knock out some other series before this one starts.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Starting tonight.

Choko (chokog) | 7717 comments I might start tomorrow...

Choko (chokog) | 7717 comments So, I am up to Ch 16... It is reading fast, but I am still having no luck connecting with any of the characters. His old trainer and what he (view spoiler)

I have to say, the more I read any historical fiction or just history, the more I thank the g-ds for living in this time! We still have a ton of things to fix in order to get over the ingrained sexism in our society, but man, we have come a long way! I can't think of any time before the last century that has been even close to being as good to women as in the last 30 years... We are blessed!

Choko (chokog) | 7717 comments I could have done without the end of Ch 25... That traumatized me and I hope I could actually fall asleep now... ⊙_⊙

Shaitarn | 1964 comments Marking my spot - I might just read this along with Academ's Fury or I'll be starting late.

message 9: by Bill (last edited Sep 23, 2018 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I’m starting tomorrow morning.

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments So I listened to the whole book yesterday and while I would love to say i got the whole thing done because I loved it that would be an overstatement. I understand this is historical fiction but since I’ve actual read a fair bit on this era of a Rome the inaccuracies really bother me. Ignoring that I think the book was ok. I really like his battle scenes and Julius’s story arc in this book.

Think the non-historical characters are some of my favorites with Tubrok, Alexandria and Renius.

Issue with the “bad guys” (view spoiler)

Choko, what happened at chapter 25? I listened to the audiobook and have no chapter indicator.

Choko (chokog) | 7717 comments Bill wrote: "So I listened to the whole book yesterday and while I would love to say i got the whole thing done because I loved it that would be an overstatement. I understand this is historical fiction but sin..."

Ch.25...(view spoiler)

message 12: by Bill (last edited Sep 25, 2018 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Choko wrote: "Bill wrote: "So I listened to the whole book yesterday and while I would love to say i got the whole thing done because I loved it that would be an overstatement. I understand this is historical fi..."

(view spoiler)

Brutus(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 7717 comments Exactly! The real history in this case is much more dramatic!!! The same goes about his wife. There was no historical evidence that he (view spoiler)

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments That’s true too. I was kind of baffled by that.

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

I liked this better than book 1 but it was still just meh. I agree with the historical inaccuracies. This is fairly disappointing coming off the Conqueror series which was phenomenal.

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I think I would enjoy Conqueror more just from an ignorance of the history.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill wrote: "I think I would enjoy Conqueror more just from an ignorance of the history."

He doesn't change nearly as much in those.

message 18: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Sep 28, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I've decided to abandon this series but am planning on reading his new book, The Falcon of Sparta, soon. Sounds like it's pretty good. Have any of you read it? Or interested in reading it?

Shaitarn | 1964 comments Twenty chapters in and the liberties the author is taking with historical fact is starting to seriously bother me.

Octavian: (view spoiler)

I think Mr. Iggulden needs the back of his wrists slapped. I'm reading on with growing impatience.

message 20: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Twenty chapters in and the liberties the author is taking with historical fact is starting to seriously bother me.

Octavian: [spoilers removed]

I think Mr. Iggulden needs the back of his wrists ..."

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Bill (last edited Oct 01, 2018 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I've decided to abandon this series but am planning on reading his new book, The Falcon of Sparta, soon. Sounds like it's pretty good. Have any of you read it? Or interested in reading it?"

I don’t like reading 2 series by the same author at same time. I’m probably going to try his Genghis Khan series once I finish this one.

Shaitarn | 1964 comments Finally finished. I'm very disappointed with this and am probably going to rant a bit here. if you don't want to see that, feel free to skip it.

The historical inaccuracies: I don't understand them. I don't understand the point of them. They aren't making the story more interesting (quite the opposite, in my opinion), and they're horribly distorting. I'm half-thinking the author's going to go all out BS at the end and have our boy Julius kill all his would-be assassins and walk away into the sunset covered in blood.

I also find the writer's style incredibly basic and pedestrian, and I feel detached from the story as a result. I just don't really care about any of these characters, and that's sad - this is Julius freaking Caesar, for crying out loud! I should be appalled or fascinated or intrigued - I shouldn't be sitting here thinking 'meh'!

Sorry for ranting, but this series is a 'should have been great but really isn't' for me. I'll probably finish the series as I already have all the books, but afer that they can go to ebay or a charity shop.

message 23: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ctgt | 134 comments Feeling the same way.....meh. There were a few interesting parts but mostly just powering through.