Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Gates of Rome [Aug 24, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I might try this. This author has been on my radar for awhile.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments I will try this. this has been gathering dust on my tbr from last two years.

message 4: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Jun 21, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'll try to join. I've read his War of the Roses series, some of his Genghis Khan books and Dunstan. But haven't read much about Rome...

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I love the Genghis series he wrote.

message 6: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments This series is really good. I read them just after book 4 came out.

I enjoyed book 5 a bit less but I think that was because so much time had passed between the release of book 4 and 5 and I had forgotten a lot. It was just supposed to be four books in the series so it was a bit annoying to me when he changed his mind seven years later and brought out book 5.

I hope you all enjoy it. I have his War of the Roses series on my shelf that I need to get to.

message 7: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments Since I got all five for Christmas it'd be rude not to join in!

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Awesome that this is so well received.

message 9: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Spot!

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Will join for book 2 and on.

message 11: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Scott wrote: "I love the Genghis series he wrote."

I'm stalled at the third one, Bones of the Hills, but I'd like to keep going. The first one, Wolf of the Plains, was over the top good!

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Laura wrote: "Scott wrote: "I love the Genghis series he wrote."

I'm stalled at the third one, Bones of the Hills, but I'd like to keep going. The first one, Wolf of the Plains, w..."

I've read the first three and gave them all 5*'s. Loved them from start to finish.

message 13: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Scott wrote: "Laura wrote: "Scott wrote: "I love the Genghis series he wrote."

I'm stalled at the third one, Bones of the Hills, but I'd like to keep going. The first one, [book:Wolf of the Plain..."

Cool, I'll keep going!

message 15: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments Starting a few hours early.

message 16: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments I will be here tomorrow for sure 😀

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Me too.

message 18: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments I will be few days late. 😶

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'll be late :-( I very severely overbooked myself for August.

message 20: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments Starting tomorrow

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Through chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Guias is not really good at the more physical stuff, is he? And I feel a bit sorry for Marcus, feeling kind of unwanted...

message 23: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments I've been enjoying some of small everyday details the author has added in to the story.

message 24: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Yeah, me too. I feel so bad for the mother. She is obviously very ill, but he being a kid is taking it personally and his father never sticks around to explain it better to him... It is a very sad situation...

message 25: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments I have noticed from before, I never enjoy written descriptions of gladiator fights. I am not sure why, since I like watching that type of activities...

The tension between free men and freed men is palpable...

message 26: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Toburk, Cabera and Ranius are my favorite characters so far. I am up to Ch. 12 and (view spoiler)

message 27: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments Choko wrote: "Toburk, Cabera and Ranius are my favorite characters so far. I am up to Ch. 12 and [spoilers removed]"
As to your spoiler, I was surprised as well.

message 28: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Up to Ch. 19... I do like the more mundane things described of the life at the time, but I am having some issues with the history itself. Predominantly with the person of his uncle, Marius... He just said he had been a Consul of the Republic 3 times, when they are usually chosen just for a year... He also seems to be a young-ish man here... If I am getting this right, at this point Guias is around 17 years old... In real life, by the time he was 17 Marius should have been 74 years old and already had been a Consul 6 times and not at the time we are talking about... He should have been just a regular senator then... Sunce Guias was born in 100 b.c. , he would have been 17 in 83, at which time Marius, as I said, would have been 74... In 83 Scipio is the consul... All I am saying is that the timeline historically doesn't fit with the book, but it is fiction after all, and as long as we don't take it seriously, it is all good:):):)

message 29: by Choko (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:30PM) (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments I like Ranius much more than Marcus so far... Marcus kind of bugs me, actually... Ooo, I like Pepes too:):):)

message 30: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Ch. 24... (view spoiler)

message 31: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 19... I do like the more mundane things described of the life at the time, but I am having some issues with the history itself. Predominantly with the person of his uncle, Marius... He ju..."

My grasp of the history if pretty sketchy at best.....I have a decent grasp of the overarching timeline but that's about it.

message 32: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Ctgt wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 19... I do like the more mundane things described of the life at the time, but I am having some issues with the history itself. Predominantly with the person of his uncle, M..."

I understand... It is just that the time that they are actually talking about is 86 b. c., when Marius had just gotten his seventh consulship and at that time Guias was only 14... I get a bit wird about stuff like that, but as I said, this is fiction first and foremost:):):)

I actually finished and another glaring dramatic invention is the (view spoiler)

I say it was a fun book for a historical Fiction:):):)

message 33: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Ctgt wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 19... I do like the more mundane things described of the life at the time, but I am having some issues with the history itself. Predominantly with the person of his uncle, M..."

I think even knowledge that is not detailed is still cool when it comes to that time. In my personal opinion, most of the big Epic Fantasy has been written based on the history and legends of Rome and how it affected and changed all the cultures it encountered and the way they resisted or were taken over and changed for good... This is why I am all in for this type of easier to read retelling of the period. I am not being judgmental, just trying to say what I know from the years I have been delving into that period:)

message 34: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Most of my historical fiction reading friends gave this low ratings because of the historical rearrangements... and because of the YA feel. I don't know enough about the history to be bothered by that I don't think, but hope the YA feel doesn't come through.
I'm through chapter 3. I'm not sure what the point of the (view spoiler) scene was?? Otherwise OK so far although it hasn't gripped me like his later writing. But hey, this was his first novel wasn't it?

message 35: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Yeah, I am not getting any YA vibes, so that was good. And honestly, even the author points out at the end his reasons and the places he made changes, so I can live with them:) The overall story is much more important, if you ask me. Once I know it is mostly changed for the story, I am totally cool with it:):):)

I have no idea about the raven... Maybe it was trying to teach them that wild things can't or shouldn't be chained?

message 36: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments Finished. I liked it and found it a quick read, although I must admit that out of the two main characters I probably preferred Marcus; I just got the impression we never really got to know Gaius that well. On the whole I think Tubruk and Renius were my favourite characters.

It was enjoyable and I look forward to the next one.

message 37: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments @Choko, I got to the Consul statement and found it interesting he talked about an "exception" that allowed him to serve as Consul again. As I said earlier, my knowledge is pretty basic, does that sound legit or is that another example of stretching the truth?

@Laura, I didn't get a YA vibe at all. As to your spoiler (view spoiler)

@Shaitarn, I really liked Tubruck and Renius too.

message 38: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments About the exception - completely true! They were elected consuls for only a year, exactly because the Republic was trying to never have a dictator again. However, Marius was "elected" a consul 7 times, the most in the history, if I am not mistaken... Sulla ends all that, pretty much, once he takes over, despite trying to keep the appearance of still having a Senate.... The history of the period is more full of intrigue, battles, assassinations, and backstabbing from multiple angles than the most of the Epic Fantasy ever have had! This is why I am very happy we are reading this series 😀😀😀

message 39: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Shaitarn, I am so glad you enjoyed it! Those two were my favorite as well, but I have a very strong dislike for Markus and have no idea why really... He just seem like a person with a beta personality who is trying too hard to be an alpha... Just something is not right with him...

message 40: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments @ Choko I quite like the Roman period even though I don't know as much about it as I should/would like (the books about Roman Britain by Rosemary Sutcliffe were among my favourites as a kid).

Maybe the author write totally fictional characters better than fictional representations of real people because there are fewer restrictions on what they can do/say owing to history, although we all know the author took a few 'liberties' in this book!

I sincerely hope Marcus (view spoiler)

message 41: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments I hope not as well... But it will be interesting to see. The author might make him the man himself...

message 42: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments I assumed he was the man.......guess we'll see.

I enjoyed the end notes, he mentions a book Caesar: A Biography, which I have on my shelf and read probably 15 years ago. May need to revisit that.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Through chapter 15. I'm enjoying the legioner part more than their youth. To this point I think it's solid historical fiction but I'm not in love with it the way I have been with the Genghis series.

message 44: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments @ Choko & Ctgt (view spoiler)

BTW, I'd like to read more about the period (like I said, I would like to know more about ancient Rome (republic or early Empire)) so if anyone wants to read any more novels set in the same period let me know; I'd be up for something like I, Claudius or The First Man in Rome.

message 45: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7674 comments Shaitarn, I am all for it! We can do it after we finish this series 😊

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Finally just started it. Will be reading your comments and spoilers soon.

message 47: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 134 comments Shaitarn wrote: "@ Choko & Ctgt [spoilers removed]

BTW, I'd like to read more about the period (like I said, I would like to know more about ancient Rome (republic or early Empire)) so if anyone wants to read any ..."

Thanks for the follow up Shaitarn....l'm with you concerning the spoiler.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I love historical fiction and I don't know if it's the time period or just the author but this book is boring me. I keep finding myself zoning out and having to go back.

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

So from the start I knew who Gaius was in terms of historical significance but it wasn't until they were headed out of country that I realized Marcus was probably going to be Mark Anthony.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Scott wrote: "So from the start I knew who Gaius was in terms of historical significance but it wasn't until they were headed out of country that I realized Marcus was probably going to be Mark Anthony."

I kind of assumed that based on the name lol ;-) I'm still reading. I'm only half through.

« previous 1