Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Authors > Need Beta Readers (unpaid) - Fantasy Novella (with unicorns and dwarves)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth Wagner (new)

Beth Wagner | 5 comments Book's genre: Fantasy
Word count: 59,040
POV details: third-person but focusing on one character
Kinds of sex scenes: none
Level of violence: situations around violence but not graphically depicted
Any possible triggers readers should be aware of: none that I am aware of
Number of betareaders you want: 10 - 20

Excerpt:
"Four. I have a young ward around here whom I feel it best to take along with us. Carla!"

Carla came out from where she had been lurking at the corner of the house. Wissagebreht addressed her as though he did not know that she had been listening to almost every word that had been said over the past two days.
#
"Carla, we are going to seek the unicorns, You, I, the King, and the Chamberlain. Get yourself ready quickly."

"Yes sir!"

She was turning to go when Brehtand came forward. "Your Highness, where do you go?"

"Why, off into the Great Wild to seek the unicorns."

"And you go alone?"

"No, the Wizard, his ward, and the Chamberlain go with me."

"Milord, you must take a guard!"

"The Wizard has explained that only a small group may go to seek the unicorn, lest they take fright and not allow us near."

"Milord, the dangers of the Great Wild are too well known. Even adding a few more to the party will be a little safer, and probably not that much more frightening to the unicorns."

"Brehtand, I know you speak out of love for me, nevertheless I must say that this is my final word. No, you shall not go."

"Very well, your Highness." But it was clear that Brehtand was far from pleased.

There was a little more delay while they made preparations. Wissagebreht insisted that while it might be easy on their backs to allow the packhorse to carry everything, it was also the height of folly. "If we lose the horse, we lose everything. No, let us rather each carry a bit of food, a bit of clothing and so on, leaving most of it for the horse, but with us carrying enough that we will not be naked and starving without the horse."

The King scowled, but saw the wisdom of this. Carla, who had been used to doing as Wissagebreht bid without question, simply shrugged and set about making her pack as light as was feasible. She was wondering why the wizard was determined to take her along. It wasn't as though he had not gone away several times and left her to fend for herself for days, even weeks.

She thought to ask him, but with all the people around knew she would get no useful answer out of him. She shrugged. Well, once they were out in the Great Wild she would try to find a chance for the question.

After they had gotten packed up they left. Leaving the men-at-arms sitting and standing uncomfortably around Wissagebreht's hut.

message 2: by Beth Wagner (new)

Beth Wagner | 5 comments Beth Wagner wrote: "Book's genre: Fantasy
Level of violence: situations around violence but not graphically depicted..."

I am still looking for beta readers. Please contact me.

message 3: by Beth Wagner (new)

Beth Wagner | 5 comments Beth Wagner wrote: "Book's genre: Fantasy
Level of violence: situations around violence but not graphically depicted..."

I am still looking for beta readers. Please contact me.