Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 25: 6/14 - 6/21

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:06AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 7272 comments Mod
Today is finally the last day of school for my kids! I took the day off from work and we will go have a picnic in the park to celebrate. Looks like we will have perfect picnic weather! (I apologize for the late start here - I was so distracted by our Last Day of School that I forgot it's THURSDAY!)

Admin stuff!!!

Voting ends tomorrow, Friday 6/22 at midnight, Eastern US time zone (aka 9 PM Pacific Time), for the last three monthly reads of this year: Halloween (October), Death or grief (November), Published in 2018 (December).

To make your vote count, you need to click on one of the choices in the poll (the titles in the tan colored bars at the top). Comments will not register as votes.

May the odds be ever in your favor!!

This week I finished four books, NONE of them for this Challenge (!) so I remain at 43/50.

Accidentally on Purpose by Jill Shalvis - Shalvis's contemporary romances are always fun, although this one wasn't my favorite.

Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick written by Matt Fraction - this graphic novel was on my personal challenge (a list of books I MUST read in 2018). It was even weirder than I expected.

The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor - ugh, just skip this one, I have nothing good to say.*

*(Okay, I have ONE good thing to say: it's really cute that the author posed holding a piece of chalk for her author photo. I really like her for that. But I still probably won't read any more books by her.)

Memory of Water by Emmi Itäranta - also on my "must read in 2028" list, also very disappointing.

Question of the Week:
Do you (or do you plan to) participate in our Monthly Group Reads?

Since we are one day away from finishing voting on the last three monthly reads of this year, I thought this would be topical!

I have only participated in a monthly read a few times so far - I want to! But it never works out right for me.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 187 comments Hi All,

Completed: 52/52 (yay!)

I've been enjoying the rain for the past few days. It has been such a relief to have the cool rain in the midst of all the heat we have been having lately. It also made a wonderful excuse to stay inside and read. I'm happy to report that I've finished the last 3 prompts I've been struggling through and have officially finished the challenge! I hope it's ok if I keep checking in weekly with you all. These weekly updates have started to be one of the highlights of my week.

So the book that I finally finished after slogging through it for nearly 2 weeks was
Death of an Expert Witness. I'm really not sure why I struggled for so long with this one. I think it might be that I didn't realize until I had already started that it's actually book 6 of a series so maybe it was expected that you'd already be familiar and charmed by the reoccuring characters. I just didn't find any of them overly interesting. This one fulfilled a book that was borrowed or given to you as a gift.

I followed that up with Death Comes to Pemberley which is actually also by P.D James, the same author as Death of an Expert Witness. That was an unplanned accident. This one was also just kind of Meh. It's supposed to take place 6 years after the events of Pride & Prejudice when there is a murder that occurs on the grounds of Pemberley. I was really expecting more of a mystery/detective novel but it really just dealt with the reactions of all the characters to the drama of the death.

Next I read Garden Spells, which I found out about through the 'What Should I Read Next' podcast and have seen mentioned recently by several people on the weekly check ins. I really enjoyed this one. It was such a pleasant change of pace from the books that I've been reading lately. I loved the premise of the magic properties being infused in meals based on the specific plants that Claire uses. I enjoyed it so much I've already tracked down the sequel from my library and am planning on reading that next.

To continue, I read Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow which to be honest I loved. It's a middle-grade book about a girl who has grown up cursed and is doomed to die the evening of her 11th birthday. Naturally, she gets whisked off to a hidden magical city by an eccentric stranger where she gets the opportunity to try out for membership to a prestigious magical society. Parts of it definitely were similar to plot points in other books (like Harry Potter) but I just found the entire tale so charming and wonderful. I really think this is a very promising start to what hopefully will be a fun and adventurous series. I honestly haven't been as charmed and entertained since the Harry Potter series.

And finally I finished Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud: The Rise and Reign of the Unruly Woman. I thought this was a good book, it certainly was thought provoking and made me consider a few points that I hadn't really ever considered before. I especially liked the chapters on Lena Dunham and Jennifer Weiner. The part with Lena Dunham and her body image made me reconsider a few of my own body image issues in ways I haven't considered before.

QOTW:

I actually read the book for one of the months...but then didn't post in the I completed section. I'd like to do more though so I might do that now that I've completed the challenge.

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 801 comments I'm at 26/40. Only doing the main list.

This week I read The Snowman by Jo Nesbo for my Nordic Noir book. Was worried it would be too gruesome, and it was in a few places, but overall it was great.

Now I've started Richard III: England's Most Controversial King by Chris Skidmore for my book published in 2018.

QOTW:

I probably will not participate in any of the group discussions. Everybody seems to be reading different books than me for the most part. I like to do my own thing I guess. Or I'm weird. Or a combination of the two.

Congrats on finishing the challenge Brittany.

message 4: by Johanna (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 234 comments 34/52

Happy Summer everyone!

Completed Prompts

I finished one book this week.

A book about mental health: I finally finished reading Elizabeth Is Missing. God, this was such a hard book to read for me. My mother passed away from Alzheimer's and Maude's comments about how her daughter is frustrated with her, hit me really hard. Looking back, there are times I wish I had been more understanding. My mom would read all the signs while we were driving down the road and I would often tell her to stop. Now I understand, that it was something real and concrete in front of her that she could understand in the here and now. That being said, it was a great book, with a twist at the end that makes me want to go back and read it again so I can catch more of the clues.

On my nightstand:
Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything. This was under a librarian pick at the library. It is so funny and unbelievable. I keep laughing and reading parts out loud to my family.

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey

QOTW: I occasionally participate in the monthly read. It depends if it lines up with what else I'm reading. There has been more than one occasion where I read the book previously in the year but still participate.

message 5: by Chinook (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Oh, yay! I was sad when this wasn’t up earlier - my youngest sat up abruptly demanding Goldfish several hours before we normally get up and I’m now very awake whilst she’s gone back to sleep.

It wasn’t a great reading week for me because I don’t think I read a word over the three days of Comic Con, but I got a ton of signed books, lots of ARCs, saw a few interesting authors panels and John Barrowman touched my arm.

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House - I learned nothing new but it was a decent retelling of the early days of the Trump Presidency. I used it as ugly cover for Book Riot, since I had already filled that one for PS (and totally forgot I’d done so!)

Little Town on the Prairie - this one was equally interesting because Laura’s older and doing interesting social things and also squirmy because it’s the one with the Minstrel show and also wow, she’s young to be dating.

El Deafo - I also read this thinking it would be for a category I’d already filled (own voices for ATY). It’s quite good - beyond the look into the life of a child with hearing loss, it’s also an interesting (and in my opinion true to life) look at the friendships of young children.

The Imitation Game - I wasn’t a huge fan of this - I expected to find the math confusing but I thought the story was also done in a way that was a bit confusing. That said, I found the parts about Bletchley Park and the trial quite interesting.

Presently I’m trying to finish off Vile Bodies but it’s not great and I’m listening to The Tempest and also Hit because I really need to focus on The Tempest and needed a lighter audio for chores. I also have a bunch of half read books I need to get back to - they aren’t meant to be DNF, I think it’s just that I’ve been a bit scattered in my reading between Con and my brother visiting.

QOTW:

I joined in on Beartown and I have good intentions but I am pretty focused on the monthly reads in my 1001 group and those are 7 books a month - and I seldom get through all of those either.

message 6: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 758 comments Whoo... crazy week this week. After being on vacation last week I forgot just how crazy the library gets during the summer. Thank goodness Friday -- my day off, since I work Saturdays -- is coming...

Finished four books this week:

When Halloween Was Green -- "book set on or based around Halloween." A fascinating look at how Irish mythology has influenced Halloween as well as a rip-roaring horror story, though I do think the page length could have been trimmed -- some passages felt rather padded.

The Dragon Behind the Glass: A True Story of Power, Obsession, and the World's Most Coveted Fish -- not for the challenge. Ostensibly a journalist's research of one of the most prized and valuable aquarium fish in the world, the arowana, though it also serves as a look at how efforts to protect a threatened species can backfire by making said species even more valuable.

The Wishing Coin -- not for the challenge. Ugh... badly written, and reads more like a pitch for a sappy Hallmark movie than anything interesting. Thank goodness it was short...

The Turtle Boy -- not for the challenge. A short but surprisingly compelling horror novella, one that Stephen King fans will appreciate.

Currently Reading:

The Beast Master -- for "book by a female author with a male pseudonym
SLAY -- not for the challenge
Lord of Light -- not for the challenge
And almost halfway through the Lovecraft collection!

QOTW:

The only monthly read I participated in was the first one, for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (though I did lead the discussion for The Handmaid's Tale). What I choose for a prompt rarely matches what the monthly read is...

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian (iansreads) This was a great week for my reading. I got through 3 books this week for the challenge. These are 27 - 29 for me this year.

1. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - This is not a recommend for me. Joe Hill is Stephen King's son, and this was his debut novel. The writing was good, but the characters and pacing were awful.
Prompt: A Book with Song Lyrics in the Title
2. Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero - This was so good. It's adult "Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island" (a Scooby-Doo case that ends up being real). This would have been a 5-star book if not for some weird syntax choices.
Prompt: A Book Set in the Decade You Were Born (90's)
3. Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump by Dan Pfeiffer - Some may recognize Dan Pfeiffer from Pod Save America (a liberal politics podcast). Dan was White House Communications Director for Obama, and this book is a memoir about his experience and a manifesto for Democrats to win back Washington.
Prompt: A Book with an Ugly Cover

My upcoming reads include:
*The Ensemble
*Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
*Nutshell
*The Art of Fielding

Question of the Week:
Do you (or do you plan to) participate in our Monthly Group Reads?

I came in late to this group and had already covered several of the prompts that were picked to cover. I have also read another couple of the choices that have been picked.

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 309 comments Hello from a hot and humid Columbus! Last Thursday I got my first ever sunburn when we went boating and too the beach. I know I sound dramatic as hell when I say I’ve been too uncomfortable to focus on reading. Typical me, go big or go home; I blistered and did you know if you get burnt bad enough it’ll effect your muscles? Jeez. I’m just not getting to the point where I can wear a bra again. Woe is me, I know. Pity party over lol.

P.s. Did anyone else see Hereditary? I’m legit traumatized.

The Hundred-Foot Journey this was a local cafe book club pick, and I also worked into the goodreads summer challenge. It was fun, and sad, but ultimately happy and made me want to eat all the delicious food. I guess the movie version has Helen Mirren in it so I need to watch that. I liked the premise of a Muslim boy from India fleeing persecution becoming a classically trained French chef.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn another read for the goodreads challenge. One of the prompts was a book I was supposed to read in school but didn’t. My bookworm self didn’t not read assigned materials though so I went with a book I didn’t really remember. I finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer last week and I’m pretty sure I liked this one more. It made me laugh a lot, I guess little boys haven’t really changed all that much over the last few hundred years. Some of the antics I could totally see the neighborhood boys getting into, and I was particularly tickled by them going *so* far out of their way to do the jail break “the right way”.

Penpal this was the scary story pick from the goodreads challenge. I forgot I had bought this ebook when it came out and I’m glad I remembered. I’d love to hear some suggestions for books that actually scared you, because the ones I read don’t really do it for me outside of The Woman in Black. Anywho, Penpal is a reddit post turned into a book so if that NoSleep style isn’t your thing, you might not like the style of this book. The writing seems a bit amateur but I hardly noticed because I was too busy fighting back extreme anxiety and discomfort from the story. It’s essentially a creepy story about a kid being stalked for most of his childhood by a sinister man who I guess got obsessed with this kid. Idk, the topic just raises all my red flags and sends me to a bad a place.

I think I’m still at 34/40; 2/10 for popsugar
I read 7/11 books for the June category of the expert goodreads challenge, and 4/13 of the any month category

QOTW: no, I haven’t yet.

message 9: by Anne (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 204 comments Tough reading week for me. I only got three books read and I think that might be the norm over the next few weeks as I am going on vacation.

This week I read:
Resilience: Two Sisters and a Story of Mental Illness- and didn't like it at all. The whole way through I just kept thinking, yup she has bipolar. The autobiography wasn't very well written and as someone who also has bipolar I just kept thinking, "My autobiography (if I chose to write one) would be published too if I had a movie star sister to write a couple of vague memories for me." It is probably a lot more interesting to the people who have been invested in Jessie Close's journey.
The Orphan Mother- which I loved. I also loved The Widow of the South so obviously I am going to read Robert Hicks's other book (only three by him so far).
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- this was a movie I've seen, but it has been a while. Now I want to re-watch the movie. I did enjoy the book, but I remember enjoying the movie better.

QOTW: I have not participated in the group reads. I have read a few of the books chosen (not in the month they were the group read) but I have never commented.

Happy Reading!

message 10: by Nadine in NY (new)

Brittany wrote: "I hope it's ok if I keep checking in weekly with you all. These weekly updates have started to be one of the highlights of my week. ..."

yes! The weekly check in is something I look forward to each week! I always check in even after I've finished the challenge!

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1365 comments I mostly spent the weekend reading A Reaper at the Gates not for any challenges. I love this series so much but now I am desperate for the final book.

I finished Turtles All the Way Down for the mental health prompt and I liked it better than some of the other John Green books I've read. I liked that it focused mostly on Aza living with OCD and her friendship with Daisy than on the missing person hunt.

Also finished The Surface Breaks which I'm going to slot into the previous year's prompt of fairytale (it's a Little Mermaid retelling). The ending saved this book for me, although I think I need to remind myself in future that Louise O'Neill's books are just not to my taste because I keep getting drawn in.

I listened to Lily and the Octopus which was one of the saddest stories ever. Can't believe I chose to listen to this on my commute as I had to hold back tears on several occasions. I did have it on my Popsugar list but I've filled all the prompts it fits already. It is based on the author's real dog, but that's a bit of a stretch for based on a real person...

Currently reading The Changeling, which is a review copy. I was thinking it could be used for involves a library or bookshop but the main character just sells books online, so it doesn't quite work.

I started listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz this morning for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). I've kinda wanted to read this since Francesca Haig said it was a big inspiration for The Fire Sermon, although it hasn't had that strong a start.

29/50 | 55/100

QOTW:

I'm not very good at reading to schedule, so I haven't been taking part. I did read Turtles All the Way Down but not in the right month! If there was something I wanted to read anyway, I'd try to take part but I already have too many unread books on my shelves to make myself read things I feel unenthusiastic about.

message 12: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments I finished 4 books this week but none of them fit the challenge.

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket - aloud to kid
Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas
The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket - audio with son
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - audio

QOTW:
It is not a priority as I do all the group reads, monthly, quarterly, and many yearly challenges in the 2018 Reading Challenge group. If a book in this group is one I'm planning on reading this year and I don't have too many other things planned that month, I'll join. So far, the only one I've participated in was Beartown.

message 13: by Nadine in NY (new)

Chinook wrote: "but I got a ton of signed books, lots of ARCs, saw a few interesting authors panels and John Barrowman touched my arm ..."

LOL! squeee!!!

(And sorry I was so late today!)

message 14: by Nadine in NY (new)

Ellie wrote: "I started listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz this morning for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). I've kinda wanted to read this since Francesca Haig said it was a big inspiration for The Fire Sermon, although it hasn't had that strong a start...."

I started this book back in high school. Which was thirty five years ago. I still haven't finished it. People have told me to give it another try but it was sooooo slooooowwww. So, anyway, I'm interested in seeing how you like it. Maybe I SHOULD give it another try! (or not)

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
I am not getting notifications!!! My last notification is from six hours ago! And I know there have been replies and posts since then, since look ^^^ all these posts! no notification. Is it just me?

message 15: by El (new)

El | 197 comments Nadine wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I started listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz this morning for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). I've kinda wanted to read this since Francesca Haig said it was a big..."

I'm not getting any notifications either!

message 16: by Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) (last edited Jun 21, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Wow, I hadn't realized what a slow reading week this was for me, but I only finished two books and one of those was a comic book! (Though that's partly because I once again have too many books that I'm currently reading. Next week I'll probably finish a bunch of them at once.)

I'm much more focused on finishing the challenge now, instead of just reading random books. It's fun, and reminding me why I started the challenge in the first place, which is also making me a little sad that I'm going to finish pretty soon at this rate. I need a break though, to work on some of those 'owned but not read' books I really want to get to.

Finished Reading:
Share Your Universe Ultimate Spider-Man Premiere I found a comic I enjoyed pretty well! It suffered a little bit from mostly being an ad for a tv show, but other than that, it was funny and had plot I could follow, so four stars!

Warcross This was my first Marie Lu book, and I (mostly) loved it. I'm not sure I love the ending, but it does make sense, and I'm impatiently waiting for the sequel now. I especially loved the world building--I want to live in a world that has a cross between Pokemon Go and the Oasis from Ready Player One! I read this for my cyberpunk book.

Currently Reading:
Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math Making decent progress on this book the was languishing on the bottom of my reading pile for an embarrassingly long time. I'm enjoying it, so I'm really not sure why I just forgot to pick it up for so long.

NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity My current audiobook. I've managed to slowly increase the speed up to 1.5x normal, so I'm making much faster progress on this long book now. I'm in another rough part, talking about some of the research/experiments they did on kids, but overall the book is fascinating. After reading the chapter on the link between the origin of sci-fi fandom and autistic people I bought the e-book for my father so he could read that one chapter. (The kindle book is on sale for $1.99 last I checked, by the way.) This would qualify for a book on mental health, but I've already filled that category more than once.

Cooking with Scraps: Turn Your Peels, Cores, Rinds, and Stems into Delicious MealsAnother NetGalley cookbook. I like the conversational tone in the recipes, and her practical approach to doing what you can do to minimize food waste without stressing about what you can't do.

Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with ChristMy Sunday afternoon read this week, and my pick for 'LBGTQ protaganist'. Her previous book The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith would have fit the prompt slightly better, but I really wanted to read this one more than I wanted to re-read that one.

Captains Courageous Reading this for my book set at sea because it's a favorite of one of my husband's younger brothers. So far it seems like a typical boy's adventure story, which I can understand why a teen boy would love, but I'm only moderately enjoying it. Really glad I'm reading it on Kindle though, because there are plenty of obscure and dialect words that make it hard to follow without getting definitions.

QOTW:
I've joined in on a couple of the monthly reads, but trying to tie myself down to all of them would just get stressful. I'd like to do more of them though!

Edited to add: Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've managed to read any of the specific books for the monthly reads, I've only joined in the general discussion of other books for the monthly theme.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Nadine wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I started listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz this morning for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). I've kinda wanted to read this since Francesca Haig said it was a big..."

I read this one while I had the flu and was slightly feverish. Not a good call. Maybe the book is better than I remember if you *don't* have a fever, but I found the experience just weird and depressing.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Dani wrote: "Hello from a hot and humid Columbus! Last Thursday I got my first ever sunburn when we went boating and too the beach. I know I sound dramatic as hell when I say I’ve been too uncomfortable to focu..."

Do you use aloe vera on your sunburns? Makes a huge difference for me. (Make sure you get as close to straight aloe vera as possible--the weird 'cooling relief' gels sometimes just make it hurt worse.)

I think the book I've read that scared me the most was This Present Darkness. But, to be fair, I was twelve and sleeping on a mattress in the hallway area of my sister's house when I read it (before bed, of course), so it might not be AS scary as I remember. :-)

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments I went OFF this week, guys! Finished a bunch of stuff, a couple for various challenges.

Finished:
When Beauty Tamed the Beast because Eloisa James is a treasure.

Girl Logic: The Genius and the Absurdity, which I'm using for a book about feminism. Did the audiobook, which was fun!

The Lost for Words Bookshop, obviously a "set in a bookstore" option if anyone hasn't done that! And a lot of books are mentioned, so options for book mentioned in another book.

Tell the Machine Goodnight, slightly disappointing and didn't live up to its start... but not bad.

Currently reading:
Vision in White, the first in a Nora Robert quartet I loved years ago and wanted to revisit. She's my local author!

QOTW: I don't sadly. Sometimes the selections just don't line up for what I have in mind of a challenge item or I've already done that one... one of these days.

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1365 comments Raquel wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I started listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz this morning for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). I've kinda wanted to read this since Francesca Haig sa..."

My boyfriend gave up on it after a few chapters (I think it was probably the Latin) but I got an audiobook from the library so I will be a captive audience on my commute! I did read a short story of Miller's recently which I kinda liked, so hopefully I will get something from it...

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol Roote | 117 comments Good morning. This was not a very productive week for reading (or anything really). We got a 7 week old puppy and he has been taking up a significant amount of my time.

Finished:
Regular: 28/40
Advanced: 3/10

12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
I enjoyed the musical so much but was a little disappointed in the book. 3/5

Advanced 5. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
Cherry It wasn't at the very top of my list, but I did like it. 3/5

Currently Reading:

37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to
Dog Whisperer (still). It's okay, but it's hard to get into when there are so many other books I want to read.

2. True Crime
Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake This was my least favorite prompt, but someone recommended this and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would

3. The next book in a series you started
The Hangman
Always enjoy a good Louise Penny book.

QOTW:
I keep intending to, but other books get in the way. I think the only one where I read the correct book during the correct month was Turtles All the Way Down. This month I did the book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist but not Middlesex. The thing is that I really want to read the books that we voted on, but just not right now.

message 22: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Just a quickie, because I'm taking my son to see the new Jurrassic Park film tonight! But I finished one book this week, taking me to 27/50 (I think!). My book this week was for prompt #40 favourite prompt from previous years. I went for 2016, book based on a fairy tale - The Book of Lost Things

I loved the concept of this book, and the story flowed so effortlessly that it didn't feel as long a book as it is. I thought the reimagined myths and fairy tales were really smart, a darker and more sinister retelling of even the darkest and most sinister of them. I am not usually a fantasy reader, because I don't like something I can't relate to. But this isn't really a fantasy story despite how it comes across. This is a coming of age story of boy adjusting to a life he didn't ask for or expect, the story of someone who finds his refuge in books...and I can relate to that. However, I have to be honest and say at times the writing was a bit bland, and things felt a bit flat. The ending was a bit rushed too, and while I can see why, it's a pet hate of mine when the wrap-up feels a bit shoehorned.

Urgh, need to go - I'll come back for QOTW later!

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol Roote | 117 comments Oh yeah... I also participated in the Beartown read.

message 24: by Christine (last edited Jun 21, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Christine McCann | 493 comments Brittany: congrats! I agree, keep checking in!

Chinook: another squee! I have a picture on my desk of John Barrowman and I hugging each other: totally worth the money and an hour standing in line!

Ian: I loved Meddling Kids, and for me the weird syntax choices were a feature, not a bug. But I can see it going the other way, too. It's very quirky.

So many books since I missed a checkin or two, and I've had wicked insomnia - at least it's good for getting reading in!

Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom - loved them, great characters, lots of fun. Used for a heist and an LGBTQ+ protagonist.

84, Charing Cross Road - lovely, easy, quick read for a book set in a bookstore (didn't know it was a true story till I started reading!)

Dawn and the Impossible Three - the least of all evils for books seen being read in public. Cute little story about tweens dealing with divorce in their families and challenges of babysitting.

Little Fuzzy - John Scalzi said to read this and I finally did. Charming and has some amazing ideas. Scalzi gave it a better, more modern riff, but this is worth checking out!

Tales of Terror from the Black Ship - awesome short story collection with plenty of creepiness, especially considering it's a kid's book! Read past the first story to see if you like it - that is definitely one of the weakest in the book. Not bad, but pretty predictable for a savvy reader. This is a book set at sea, of course!

A Study in Scarlet - got started with Stephen Fry's reading (by the way, that's probably the best deal on Audible if you buy credits) and got hooked when I realized I'd never read it all the way through! So I used it for "my favorite prompt" which was a book started but never finished.

QOTW: I try, but I'm rarely synched up with the group. I usually have a particular idea for what I want for a prompt, and my tastes can be abstruse. :)

message 25: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Good morning, everyone! It's June gloom here in San Francisco, but it looks like we have some sunny days coming soon.

Currently I'm at 32/50, or will be by this afternoon. Since my last check-in, I've completed:

The Butterfly Mosque: A Young American Woman's Journey to Love and Islam (previously unread book by an author I love) - A fascinating account of what it was like to be living in Egypt as an American convert to Muslim. She didn't say nearly enough about her reasons for converting to Islam (she was raised an atheist), but her comments on how Americans and Egyptians view each other were really insightful.

A Cold Day For Murder (weather element in the title) This won an Edgar in the 1990s. I loved that the protagonist is an Aleutian female detective and the rural Alaskan setting was terrific. The author is from Alaska.

11/22/63 (time travel) I've been avoiding Stephen King for years because I hate horror novels, but this one seemed like it might be less, well, horrific. I thought it was great! Way too long, but still it maintained my interest once I got into it (which took a little while). And no horror!

Women Who Become Men: Albanian Sworn Virgins (not for this challenge) I saw the title of this book on a list of books about Albania and was so intrigued I had to read it. Fascinating! It's a short anthropological monograph about the women who fill a man's role in the society. They dress like men, have all the responsibilities and privileges of men, and are completely accepted as men, but they can never marry. Albania has been called "the most patriarchal society on earth" and so it was amazing to read about this. Couldn't fit it in a slot I hadn't already filled for this challenge, though.

The Essex Serpent (alliteration in the title) I like the way the author writes, very Victorian, but I'm not enjoying the book because I don't understand how everyone is smitten with the unlikable protagonist. Just a few pages left! I probably wouldn't have finished it but I suddenly realized it fits the alliteration prompt (starting with the 's' sound but not the letter 's' made me overlook it at first) as well as a prompt for another challenge (ATY52 - based on a real event) and I had read enough that it was worth it to plow on.

Question of the Week
I have participated a few times in this and/or other groups, but never as often as I've meant to. Coordinating my reading schedule with the group's timeline can be difficult.

message 26: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Raquel wrote: "NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity My current audiobook. ..."

The author lives in my neighborhood and has to be the sweetest guy you'll ever meet! He's the admin on the local FB group and he's great to everyone, even when he's telling someone to shape up. Irrelevant to the book, of course, but I always enjoy little author tidbits.

message 27: by Johanne (last edited Jun 21, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Hi all

I had a really busy week at work. Someone here mentioned the summer reading programmes at the libraries - well we have those as well - and we´ve been invaded by school classes and kids in their free time. It´s the last week of school next week so they´re all loading up on summer reading. I love it, but I have so many deadlines around the corner, before I have a long vacation.

I read The Darkest Minds for a review. Thought the writing was a bit clumsy, but the story sucked me in anyway so the plot was good.

I also finished Knivens stemme (The Knife of Never Letting Go). I cannot believe i haven´t read this before it is SO GOOD!!!! If you´ve ever had a thing for sci-fi, dystopias and/ or brillant writing - READ IT! I may switch things around and use it for "set on another planet".

And then I fell into the romance reading rabbit hole. I realise I tend to do that when I´ve got a lot on my mind. It´s so completely effortless for the brain. On top of being super busy at work, my husband had a bad week (he suffers from anxiety), and, yeah well, that puts pressure on me of course. Feeling bad for him and taking a bigger load with everything else. On the other hand, I´m really proud of my 3 sons and how they handle their father being ill, being able to live their lives in their ways and growing as persons, and at the same time taking responsibility of things that I think is reasonable for their ages: My oldest is 17 and he´s off school, because his exams are over, and he´s really stepped up with helping out at home: Doing some of the grocery shopping, cooking and so on. Yesterday he and my middle son (15) went to watch a football match my youngest (9) played: I couldn´t make it because of work, and my husband felt too bad to be able to go.
EDIT: what I wanted to say was just: I love to see the love they share and how all three of them are really empathic human beings, and at the same time their own persons. I think love and a strong sense of self are the two most important things I ever wanted my children to feel.

Sorry for the sob story, but it´s kind of cathartic to tell someone else who´s not involved in it.

I´ve also watched a lot of World Cup football, which is something we can all do together :)

QOTW:
I will read a couple of the monthly reads. I read Mr Penumbras, and am planning to read the halloween book, because I don´t have anything else I feel like reading for that.

message 28: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 758 comments Nadine wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I started listening to A Canticle For Leibowitz this morning for a book mentioned in another book (Among Others). I've kinda wanted to read this since Francesca Haig said it was a big..."

I'm not getting any notifications either... weird...

message 29: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1924 comments Brittany wrote: "Hi All,

Completed: 52/52 (yay!)

I've been enjoying the rain for the past few days. It has been such a relief to have the cool rain in the midst of all the heat we have been having lately. It also..."

Keep posting Brittany! Sharing your thoughts on what you are reading is a huge part of this experience. Congratulations on finishing!

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 493 comments Dani wrote: "I’d love to hear some suggestions for books that actually scared you, because the ones I read don’t really do it for me outside of The Woman in Black."

I realized that I read a lot of horror, but most of it doesn't actually SCARE me. But here's a list of stuff that I found scary or at least was creepy/disturbing enough to stick with me:

Skeleton Crew
Night Shift
Dark Matter
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror
My Favorite Horror Story
House of Leaves
Slade House
John Dies at the End (it's super weird and goofy, but also has some really scary/disturbing stuff - strange mix but it worked for me!)

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara Happy check-in Thursday!

It's been a crazy busy week here too as I've played chauffeur to the kid taking her to and from volleyball camp at a local college. This has necessitated me getting up super early to work from home for a couple hours before taking her to camp AND trying to do a little more afterwards (camp is from 9-3 - not exactly convenient for working parents). Today is the last day though so tomorrow I can go back to normal.

I finished three books this week:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - So many people raved about this book that it actually made me not want to read it. I'm very glad I did as I quite enjoyed it. HIGHLY recommend the audio version! I'm using this for a book with a vegetable in the title.

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang - this is a steamy little romance, but I loved the characters and wanted all the happy things for them! Also, it's awesome that while the author was researching high functioning autism for her main female character she ended up discovering and getting diagnosed with it herself! Not currently using for the challenge.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas. This one was a slow starter for me, but once it picked up I really enjoyed it. I'm not using this one for the challenge, but I'm waiting on the next one in the series to come in from the library and will use it for next in a series.

Currently reading:

Us Against You by Frederik Backman. I doubt I will finish it before it's due at the library unless I really power through it this weekend.

A Storied Life by Leigh Kramer. The author has bean a guest on a couple of my favorite podcasts so I'm excited to read her first novel!

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. This is a reread for me for my book club. I read it last year and really enjoyed it.

QOTW

I have participated in a few of the monthly reads. Mostly the group picks books I'm not inclined to read! lol :)

message 32: by Sara (last edited Jun 21, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Sara Notification issues seem to be related to a bug. It's been posted in the Goodreads Feedback group so I expect they are well aware and are working on it.

message 33: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 758 comments Sara wrote: "Notification issues seem to be related to a bug. It's been posted in the Goodreads Feedback group so I expect they are well aware and are working on it."

Thank you, Sara. :)

message 34: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Raquel wrote: "I've managed to slowly increase the speed up to 1.5x normal, so I'm making much faster progress on this long book now. "
LOL I do the same with audiobooks. Depending on the narrator, I usually start at around 1.2 and keep increasing by increments of .05 every chapter until it's not comfortable to listen to anymore. I got up to 1.7 on The Likeness and my boyfriend was baffled as to how I was following it at that speed!

I've been checking my notifications all afternoon to see if this had been posted yet, didn't realise it was a Goodreads bug! I'm ot sure why I was so eager to check in because I've made no real progress this week still working away on:

Middlesex - Book with an LGBT+ protaganist
The Cartel - Book about a villian or antihero

QOTW

I've enjoyed following the themes of the month and have only missed one so far (the mental health theme from last month where I was already reading a super long book) but this month is the first time where the chosen book has interested me and hence my first time participating in the discussion.

I have really enjoyed the discussion questions and thinking a bit more about the book. I also like the fact that we are discussing one 'book' within the novel at a time because this is a fairly long novel and spreading it over the month is making it less intimidating and keeping me engaged.

I keep nominating and voting in the polls but the ones I want to read never win :(

message 35: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 805 comments Hello from Michigan!

Weather keeps oscillating between sweltering, rainy, and pleasantly summer. Today is pleasantly summer, so I'm enjoying it!

I didn't have a great reading week this week. It took me a whole week to finish Too Like the Lightning and then it ended with a "And that's the end of part 1!" to be continued in the next book -.- And my library doesn't even have the second book so I can't go put it on my hold so I can just figure out where it's going. ANd I don't even know if I liked it enough to read another book, because I was trying to form my opinion based on how it ended! But it didn't end! Argh! And it didn't even count for any of my challenges, so it feels like kind of a wasted effort haha. (And yes I realize plenty of people spend way over a week finishing books. I'm a fast reader, so this is just very slow for me)

So then I started We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy, which is another super slow read. It's SO HARD to read. But I think very necessary. Especially with what is going on in America right now, it's both really important, and really difficult to read. I'm just under halfway through. It'll be my read harder social science book.

To lighten all that up I'm currently listening to Grave Peril. I've read the books, but it's nice going and listening to them, since James Marsters is so good. I also got my big fancy set of The Complete Girls with Slingshots so I'm paging through that when I need a break. It's two enormous hard covers so it'll be a while! Again I've read her whole comic online, but this is a really nice set, and she added in some bonus comics where she felt the story could have used some additional transitions.

QOTW:

I haven't participated in any of the group reads. I've read some of the books, I just usually don't read them when the group is reading them. Also a lot of times the books selected I've already read, or I just want to read something else for the prompt.

message 36: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 805 comments Nadine wrote: "Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick written by Matt Fraction - this graphic novel was on my personal challenge (a list of books I MUST read in 2018). It was even weirder than I expected. "

I really love Sex Criminals! I think it gets even better in later volumes. While it still remains weird, and full of sex humor, it really does delve into more serious issues. It looks at mental illness and birth control and how those affect sex drives in relationships, different kinds of sexuality, the taboos around sex and talking about it, etc.

message 37: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hi everyone!

I didn’t get any books read for Popsugar this week, so I’m still at 37/52 for this challenge. I’m at 34/52 for Around the Year, so far without using a book for multiple challenges.

Books I finished:
Killman Creek by Rachel Caine. This was the continuation of Stillhouse Lake, which I read a few months ago. Another fast-paced thriller, although this was told in multiple POV. This was almost too much for me, so I won’t continue with the series when #3 comes out.

Who Asked You? by Terry McMillan. A glimpse into the life of a family matriarch, her kids & grandkids, her sisters and her neighbors. I could see this as a Tyler Perry movie, as all his stereotypical characters have a place in this story. The daughter of the matriarch goes on another drug bender, so she takes in and raises her 2 grandkids. Her oldest son left “the hood” and established a chiropractic practice in Northern California and refuses to acknowledge any of his past. Her youngest son is in prison and tells the court he plans to live with his mother while on probation without clearing it with her or contributing anything to the household. I liked this.

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X. R. Pan. I absolutely loved this book. Her writing is beautiful lyrical without being pretentious. I loved the color theme, with the MC describing every emotion or scene with a very specific color. The relationship between the MC and her male friend was cute, believable and realistic for teenagers. The overall theme of depression and suicide was thought provoking and timely. I also really enjoyed learning more about Taiwanese culture.

I am currently reading:
Lit by Mary Karr for 52 books in 52 weeks. I should finish this later today.
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo. I started this last night because I wanted a lighter read after one about grief, suicide and depression.

QOTW: I haven't participated in any monthly reads that I can recall. Most of the time I have either already read that book or filled that prompt, and occasionally I just can't squeeze the read in on time and read it a month or two late.

message 38: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Happy Thursday from rainy Chicago! My family and I are on vacation visiting a friend from college and having a fabulous time. We're taking it easy today though, which gives me to time to post an update. My reading has slowed down significantly in the last couple weeks. Last week I was volunteering at our church's high school camp and had absolutely no time or energy to read. I've read a little more here on vacation, but spending most of my time with family and friends. I finished one book this week, not for the challenge. I'm taking a short break from challenge books as I read some new summer releases and a book that I've had on hold for awhile that finally came in.

Finished
Us Against You This is Fredrik Backman's sequel to Beartown and I really enjoyed it. It was a bit slow in parts, but I found the story really heartbreaking and beautiful. The book picks up immediately following the events of Beartown, and follows many of the same characters and adds a handful of new ones. If you liked Beartown, I think you'll appreciate this sequel.

Currently Reading
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine I'm about half way through and I'm enjoying it. I like the tone and the narrator's personality quirks, and I'm anxious to find out what actually happened in her past.

The Cloister Walk (bestseller from year I graduated high school - 1996)

City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York (book tied to my ancestry)

QOTW
I participated in the February group read - Beartown - but that's it. However, this is my first time doing the PopSugar challenge, and my first time being a part of a Goodreads group, so I'm still finding my footing. If I'm interested in any of the upcoming group reads, I'll probably participate.

message 39: by Tania (new)

Tania | 606 comments I finished 4 books this week, 1 fit the challenge so I'm at 36/50:

The Lady by Conrad Richter (finished 6/15) - it is not necessarily an uplifting story, but it is beautiful in its authenticity, the story of an orphaned boy navigating the harsh realities of the Old West

Utopia by Thomas More (finished 6/16) - I've always wanted to read this book (like many of reviewers, my interest was stoked by the movie Ever After); though most of what is presented clash with my own beliefs, I found it fascinating and my copy had a lot of bonus material as well (i.e. earlier stories that first floated some of the ideas More latched on to)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (finished 6/20) - used for Recommended by another PopSUGAR participant, when I started reading the book I was sure I would struggle to finish it but I was hooked about 1/3 in - the writing style wasn't my favorite but the book was amazing

Horse Called Mystery by Marjorie Reynolds (finished 6/20) - after quite a few heavy/depressing reads, I went with something light and nostalgic to close out the week, one of my childhood favorites

QOTW: I keep meaning to do one of the group reads, but I also haven't been able to make the timing work yet. I am still hoping to do it before the end of the year.

message 40: by Nadine in NY (new)

Carol wrote: "Good morning. This was not a very productive week for reading (or anything really). We got a 7 week old puppy and he has been taking up a significant amount of my time...."

But that's such an excellent way to pass the time!! :-)

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Oertel | 764 comments This week I finished Autoboyography after seeing it mentioned here a few times. I enjoyed it and learned some things (mainly about LDS folks) which is always good.

I also finished The Four Tendencies which was good, but probably not ideal for audio, since I felt like my tendency (upholder) was mentioned briefly in the beginning, but then the rest of the book was about the other tendencies. I think a cheat sheet of the basic ideas would be more useful than reading the whole book, but I do love Gretchen Rubin.

I also listened to Britt-Marie Was Here since I love Fredrik Backman so much now. It was very similar to A Man Called Ove, and very cute, but the overuse of the term "bicarbonate of soda" knocked it from five stars to four. ;)

I'm now reading a bunch of things at once for work, pleasure, and book clubs: Caught: The Prison State and the Lockdown of American Politics, Locked In: The True Causes of Mass Incarceration and How to Achieve Real Reform, When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir, The Accidental Tourist, Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction, and The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups.

QOTW: I've participated in most of the monthly reads and plan to do a few more. Some books are easier to have good discussions for than others though...

message 42: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (baronessekat) | 112 comments Two books this week bringing me to 41/52

A Quilt Is Meant To Keep You Warm Humor, Love and Misadventure in the Age of AIDS by M.J. Hobbs A Quilt Is Meant To Keep You Warm: Humor, Love and Misadventure in the Age of AIDS was written by a friend of mine and works for the Book with a LGBTQ+ protagonist. I highly recommend this book to any and everyone

and Brief Cases (The Dresden Files, #15.1) by Jim Butcher Brief Cases for "book published in 2018" loved it, and happy for a new Harry Dresden book.

QOTW:

I do not participate but I often use the nominations and final selection to help me pick a book for a category if I'm struggling for one.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Cheri wrote: "Raquel wrote: "NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity My current audiobook. ..."

The author lives in my neighborhood and has to be the sweetest guy you'll ever meet! He..."

Oh, that is neat! It gives a little context to the narrative.

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 737 comments I'm knee deep in my annual closet clean-out so I haven't done much reading this week. I always keep my apartment tidy and somewhat minimalist, but there is clutter lurking behind those closet and cabinet doors. It's a big job.

I didn't finish any books this week.

Reading
Middlesex - I'll get back to reading this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to finish. This is kind of a slog. If this wasn't a group read, I might DNF it. Which brings me to the ...

QOTW
I decided to do all of the group reads this year, as long as the books aren't YA or re-reads. I wanted to read more broadly this year, so I thought letting other people pick some of my books would be a good way to do that. The results have been really interesting. I pretty much know what I like, but a couple have really surprised me.

message 45: by Julie (last edited Jun 21, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

Julie | 172 comments Hello everyone!

Two finishes for me this week, which I'm actually surprised about. We had to move my mom this week, who has numerous health issues and a LOT of stuff that has been accumulated over the years, so it's been a busy week. She was living with us, and left a lot of stuff behind, so we're still sorting through things and getting our house back in order. We're now entering a week of renovations, so we've got another busy week ahead.

I'm sitting at 41/50 (or maybe 52 - haven't decided yet) for the challenge.

I finished How to Walk Away. This was a totally out of character pick for me. I don't usually gravitate toward trendy new releases BUT it was given a glowing review by Jenny Lawson, many friends gave it five stars, and I felt I could actually relate to the subject matter in a way, so I slotted it in for "released in 2018".

Unfortunately I was disappointed. While I completely appreciate what the author tried to do with this book, and appreciate all the research that went into it, I expected something more along the lines of Me Before You (which I surprised myself by really liking). Instead, this turned out to be everything I usually avoid: very fluffy romance with simple writing & dialogue, perfect timing, lots of optimism, and picture perfect happy endings. Not that cute, happy, fluffy novels are a bad thing, but I didn't feel like it fit with the gravity of the subject that was so central to the novel (the loss of life as you know it due to a tragic accident). I can see where it would appeal to some - it's cute, for sure. But it just didn't work for me.

I also finished Paper Girls, Vol. 4, although not for the challenge. As with the other 3, I loved this one too.

Currently reading:

Neuromancer which has been slow going, but I'm determined to finish.

Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch love it but am taking forever to finish. Should finish this week!

QOTW: I've intended to do several of the monthly reads, then I haven't, for one reason or another. I might try for July, because I still haven't really settled on a book for that prompt yet.

message 46: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Hi yo!! Still struggling to get through a few books. No improvement on the 27/52 that I reported last time.

QOTW: I made a vow to myself to read the group read selection every month unless it's something that I've already read. I find that its a good way to read something that may be out of my comfort zone. For example, I would have never picked up Middlesex on my own, but I'm enjoying it very much. It's taking me forever to get through, but not because I don't like it.

message 47: by Anabell (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Anabell | 355 comments This week I completed 2 books as I finally had time to read again Yay!

I am currently at 36/52 (30/42) and (6/10)

I finished:
A book from a villians point of view: The School for Good and Evil I liked the plot idea but not so sure about the execution of it.
Nordic Noir: Flagermusmanden (The Bat by Jo Nesbø) It was fine.

I am currently reading:
Ready Player One Really liking this and is about 40 % in the book. Especially loving the 'Down the 80´s memory lane' that I am getting.
A Fortune-Teller Told Me: Earthbound Travels in the Far East Good for several countries for my around teh world challenge - I do it on where the book takes place. It is quite interesting aswell.

These are put on hold at the moment (either due to library books I am currently reading that has a deadline or I have them on reserve at the library as I had to return it before I finished it)
Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

QOTW:
I really want to participate but it is never the book I choose for the challenge that is choosen. Maybe I will take up the idea of just reading what is picked for the group read also so I am forced to try something different. Maybe next year...

message 48: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1924 comments Heather wrote: "
Currently reading:
Vision in White, the first in a Nora Robert quartet I loved years ago and wanted to revisit. She's my local author!

..."

I LOVED that series! Actually brought me back to reading Nora's books after years of not. Although I'm 'off' Nora again, LOL. I was thinking of re-reading it too. Enjoy!

message 49: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1924 comments Johanne wrote: "Hi all

message 27: by Cheri 3 hours, 12 min ago
Cheri (Jovali2) | 216 commentsRaquel wrote: "NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity My current audiobook. ..."

The author lives in my neighborhood and has to be the sweetest guy you'll ever meet! He's the admin on the local FB group and he's great to everyone, even when he's telling someone to shape up. Irrelevant to the book, of course, but I always enjoy little author tidbits.

reply | flag *
message 28: by Johanne (last edited 2 hours, 43 min ago) 3 hours, 0 min ago
Johanne | 398 comments Hi all

I had a really busy week at work. Someone here mentioned the summer reading programmes at the libraries - well we have those as well - and we´ve been invaded by school classes and kids in their free time. It´s the last week of school next week so they´re all loading up on summer reading. I love it, but I have so many deadlines around the corner, before I have a long vacation.

I read The Darkest Minds for a review. Thought the writing was a bit clumsy, but the story sucked me in anyway so the plot was good.

I also finished Knivens stemme (The Knife of Never Letting Go). I cannot believe i haven´t read this before it is SO GOOD!!!! If you´ve ever had a thing for sci-fi, dystopias and/ or brillant writing - READ IT! I may switch things around and use it for "set on another planet".

And then I fell into the romance reading rabbit hole. I realise I tend to do that when I´ve got a lot on my mind. It´s so completely effortless for the brain. ..."

I do that too - especially regency historicals. I also add cozy mysteries in that mix as well, especially the 'crafty' ones. You know, we all need a break, sometimes for long stretches of time! There is absolutely nothing wrong with dropping into that rabbit hole once in a while.

Good luck with everything on your plate right now ... both work, home, family. Take it one day -- and one romance read -- at a time. You've got this.

message 50: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1924 comments Unauthorized Cinnamon wrote: "Dani wrote: "I’d love to hear some suggestions for books that actually scared you, because the ones I read don’t really do it for me outside of The Woman in Black."

I realized that I read a lot of..."

Yeah, that's a category that would give me trouble as I don't really let myself be scared by what I read. There are things I avoid because they disturb me in some way, but that's not the same. But then on thinking about it, I think I would pick some thinly disguised political propaganda from the POV I do not share, and it would likely scare me to death. That's what I would look at.

« previous 1 3 4