Audiobooks discussion

Audiobooks in the News > Audiobooks outdo films in emotional engagement

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments As much as I'd like to believe, I'm not sure I agree with this. Even after watching the video...I'd have to see the full report. Were the video and audio presented randomly? If everyone listened first or saw the video first, that would impact the findings. What were respondents doing immediately prior to listening? If some just finished eating while other just finished working out, I would think those factors would impact these measured responses. There are too many confounding factors. I need to see the methodology.

What do you guys think?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3790 comments I may have a naïve faith in university studies conducted under an experimental psychologist, but, given that it was conducted with the intention of publication in a peer-reviewed journal, I'm assuming that standard methodologies were followed and variables such as presentation order were controlled for. I would like to read the full study to see what additional information was gleaned and, yeah, the specifics regarding the design of the experiment.

I suppose the most obvious question for the results of the study is whether it can be said that they measured "emotional engagement" as opposed to physiological response. The increased heart rate and body temperature could merely reflect the "work" required when actively listening rather than passively watching. If so, does that mean I can count time listening to my audiobooks as working out? ;P

message 3: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Jeanie wrote: "I may have a naïve faith in university studies conducted under an experimental psychologist, but, given that it was conducted with the intention of publication in a peer-reviewed journal, I'm assum..."

: - )

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) | 519 comments I find it suspect that the major sponsor of the study was Audible, so of course they are going to find results that favor audiobooks.

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3790 comments Barron wrote: "I find it suspect that the major sponsor of the study was Audible, so of course they are going to find results that favor audiobooks."

Experimenter bias is always a possibility... but what other organization would have both the funds and interest in commissioning such a study? I suspect Audible actually wants to know the truth about listening to audiobooks so as to target their customers more effectively. They'll probably provide grants for even more studies in the future... or probably already have and these are just the first of the results.

I'll be interested to know if the subjects in the study were audiobook nubies or if they were already listeners. Many people have some difficulty at first with listening to a book--especially for long stretches--and essentially have to train their ears to listen. Hey, someone should tell those researchers that there's a good grant proposal in studying that! ;)

message 6: by Specs (last edited Jun 22, 2018 01:40AM) (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 445 comments I don't have any opinions about this study (but Barron makes a good point).

I can only speak for myself. I really am more involved in audiobooks, emotionally.

But any physical response like heart beat going up, that would go to movies.

I value the emotion more, though. So my vote remains with the audiobooks. My heart has to be content with all my cycling, walking, swimming, and working out.

message 7: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1221 comments I think there is something to the fact that we have to conjure up the scene. I would be curious to know how reading physical books compares. I have often had physical reactions to emotional scenes in printed books. Of course, as an auditory learner, I always experienced books as hearing it in my head. But professional narrators do it much better!

message 8: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3790 comments Robin, that was one thing I wondered about... why compare audiobooks to movies when the real comparison should be to the print version?