Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > August 2014 Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to Karen White's The Time Between. It's not really a romance but it does have a thread of romance which is motivating me. But I'm not crazy about the narration. I'm reading more than listening.

message 2: by Wwnise (new)

Wwnise | 58 comments Listening to a

message 3: by Wwnise (new)

Wwnise | 58 comments Accidentally Dead, Again (Accidentals, #6) by Dakota Cassidy hooked on series and i love Nina , Wanda and Marty ........binge listening is what I do :)

message 4: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale.

Can I add to this throughout the month? I listen or re-listen to as many as 25 books in a month. Though right now I'm binge-watching past seasons of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Because I love Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of... any character. Fell in love with him when he played The Bug in Men in Black. :)

message 5: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Finished Loving Rose: The Redemption of Malcolm Sinclair. I enjoyed it more than many of Stephanie Laurens most recent books. I felt the writing style was a little different and more enjoyable. I know she is going to self-publish her e-books and has a deal with a publisher for the physical books now so maybe the tone of her books might change a little since she won't have to write as much to what publishers want.

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kym wrote: "Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale.

Can I add to this throughout the month? I listen or re-listen to as many as 25 books in a month. Though right now I'm binge-watching past seasons of Law & Order..."

Comment as many times as you want. If you listen to 25 romances a month, tell us each if you feel like it.

message 7: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 130 comments Kym wrote: "Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale.

Can I add to this throughout the month? I listen or re-listen to as many as 25 books in a month. Though right now I'm binge-watching past seasons of Law & Order..."

When watching Law&Order CI, we always call Vincent's character Edgar! LOL!

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to Marie Force's I Want to Hold Your Hand, narration is quite good.

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Listening to New Adult audio Five Ways to Fall, fourth in a series. So far, interesting. Enjoy the Florida setting.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyvioletke) | 317 comments I'm listening to Wake to Darkness by Maggie Shayne . I love this series, but the narration took me a while to get used to. The narrator has a sing-song-y way of talking and it can be a little distracting. However, I really like the way she delivers the inner dialog of the characters.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissafransaw) | 10 comments Halfway through Extreme Measures by Elisabeth Naughton, Skin Deep by Pamela Clare and Breaking Danger by Lisa Marie Rice. I've been switching between them depending on my mood when I start work for the day. Driving up to Vegas this weekend, planning to listen to Lead by Kylie Scott on the way there.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Kelly wrote: "I'm listening to Wake to Darkness by Maggie Shayne. I love this series, but the narration took me a while to get used to. The narrator has a sing-song-y way of talking and it can be a little ..."

I really enjoyed the first book in this series but couldn't get used to the narrator so I ended up reading it.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "I'm listening to Karen White's The Time Between. It's not really a romance but it does have a thread of romance which is motivating me. But I'm not crazy about the narration. I'm re..."

i really liked this one, but I read it - I always get Karen White author mixed up with Karen White narrator (and have tweeted them that way before)

message 14: by Sue (last edited Aug 06, 2014 06:15PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Just finished Suzanne Brockman's Hearttrob, loved it. Narration was excellent, has a great Southern flavor. No laughs like SEP's Honey Moon, but the story depth is similar.

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Finished Colleen Hoover's Ugly Love. Narration was fine, always love Grace Grant. However, the story was disappointing.

message 16: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments Just started WEDDING NIGHT by Sophie Kinsella.

message 17: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments The Corinthian is out at Audible, for those waiting for the Georgette Heyer release! Woot!

message 18: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Listening to The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride by Victoria Alexander. It's the third in a series revolving around the events leading to a wedding. I'm enjoying the series very much.

message 19: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments I'm having such a difficult time this month! I started on Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale, and I absolutely love Nicholas Boulton, but I haven't been able to finish it. Don't get me wrong! It isn't the book, it isn't the narrator, it's me.
I go through periods when I'm on a sub-genre binge, and I can tell I'm not "finished" with it because I get restless reading/listening to something else. I can't listen to contemporary until I'm over historical, can't listen to that 'til I'm done with rom-com... You see what I mean, right?
So, I've been listening to paranormal romance, mostly in the humorous vein, and I'm not quite ready to be ready to leave it. Would paranormal rom-com be sub-sub-genre? I love Molly Harper, but I've listened to all of hers, and I listened to all the Shelly Laurenston Pride Series, which made me laugh out loud. Aside from the funny ones, I finished Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, and I found and enjoyed Suzanne Wright's Phoenix Pack series.
Now, I'm looking for something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe something without shape-shifters, but still paranormal? Recommendations, anyone?

I feel so needy... I'm always begging to be pointed in the right direction. :) It's pretty darn sad I can't find a listen when I've got so many books!

message 20: by Jewlzy (last edited Aug 08, 2014 09:52PM) (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments I stopped and restarted Lessons in French several times. I wasn't feeling the cattle angle. I'm glad I finished it but it was not my favorite Kinsale.
I just completed the entire Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries series starting with the In the Bleak Midwinter through book 8. I thought the narration was good and the books have plenty of suspense with a bit romance. Audible does not have all the books ( I wish I knew why), but the books are easily read out of order.

message 21: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Kym wrote: "Now, I'm looking for something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe something without shape-shifters, but still paranormal? Recommendations, anyone?
"

They're shapeshifter, but if you haven't listened to Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series or Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series you really ought to give them a try. Also great is Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. They are all particularly good in audio because of their narrators. They're UF, but have strong romances in them throughout the series, though the first book in each is just the setup for those romances.

message 22: by Jewlzy (last edited Aug 09, 2014 10:52AM) (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments JaneA wrote: "Kym wrote: "Now, I'm looking for something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe something without shape-shifters, but still paranormal? Recommendations, anyone?
"

They're shapeshifter, but if you h..."

I agree, JaneA. I'm not into the whole shape-shifter thing, but I think Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series and her Alpha and Omega series are both really good.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to The Present - i'm not a fan of the narrator, but i need a book published in 1998 for a challenge and the audiobook is only 4 hours long...

message 24: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments I started the first Mercy Thompson book and I'm loving it! Thanks, y'all!

message 25: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kym wrote: "I started the first Mercy Thompson book and I'm loving it! Thanks, y'all!"
Love that series in audio! I started listening about a year ago and found myself listening to one after another - definitely not my usual style.

message 26: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments Kym wrote: "I started the first Mercy Thompson book and I'm loving it! Thanks, y'all!"
Yeah!!!

message 27: by Sue (last edited Aug 10, 2014 05:13AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to The Gamble, voicing is fine but not exceptional. Fortunately the delivery "emotions" is quite good. I had a great July so something less than exceptional is a little disappointing.

message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Recently finished Caroline Linden's 'Truth About The Duke' series, One Night in London, Blame It on Bath, and The Way to a Duke's Heart. Male narrator was great, giving each hero a distinct voice.

message 29: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Suzanne wrote: "Recently finished Caroline Linden's 'Truth About The Duke' series, One Night in London, Blame It on Bath, and The Way to a Duke's Heart. Male narrato..."

I've listened to the first two and am saving The Way to a Duke's Heart. I thought the narrator did a great job.

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Moriah wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Recently finished Caroline Linden's 'Truth About The Duke' series, One Night in London, Blame It on Bath, and [book:The Way to a Duke's Heart|1354923..."

Yes, great narrator and fun to listen to the series in one long sitting. Felt like one continuing story, with new insights about the characters in each successive book.

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Trying very hard to stick with Kate Noble's Revealed, but am having a hard time with the narrator, Alison Larkin. I know she is the HR narrator du jour, but her overly sweet coy voice is very distracting. Loved reading this book, but listening not so much!

message 32: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments Suzanne wrote: "Trying very hard to stick with Kate Noble's Revealed, but am having a hard time with the narrator, Alison Larkin. I know she is the HR narrator du jour, but her overly sweet coy voic..."
I SO agree with you, Suzanne! I avoid her completely.

message 33: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to Ilona Andrews' Clean Sweep. Love Renee Raudman's narration.

message 34: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments Listening to Julie James - Something About You. I've never listened to anything narrated by Karen White, but I'm enjoying it so far.

message 35: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kym wrote: "Listening to Julie James - Something About You. I've never listened to anything narrated by Karen White, but I'm enjoying it so far."

Julie James and Karen White - an ideal author/narrator team to my way of thinking.

message 36: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "I'm listening to Ilona Andrews' Clean Sweep. Love Renee Raudman's narration."

I can't imagine anyone but Renee Raudman narrating Ilona Andrews. I just finished Magic Breaks and OMG I loved it! I have a book hangover and don't know what to listen to now.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to Magic Slays right now

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments The Gamble, definitely high on descriptive writing. It was well read but I found the writing got under my skin because I don't skim while listening but I do when I read.

message 39: by Sue (last edited Aug 15, 2014 10:08AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Starting Dragonfly in Amber, looking forward to it. BUT it is really long nearly 40 hours, so I expect this to take weeks to finish. I'll probably break it up a bit with a few old favorites. I usually get the shakes with audios over 15 hours, still trying to get a strategy to handle those and I hate abridged audios (to chancy, I've done them a few times and have always been disappointed) so that's not an option.

Okay couldn't resist, STARZ has picked up outlander for season 2, this is the book that will be featured.

message 40: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Starting Pure and Simple, a new author (Ryan) and narrator (Dove) for me.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4107 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Starting Dragonfly in Amber, looking forward to it. BUT it is really long nearly 40 hours, so I expect this to take weeks to finish. I'll probably break it up a bit with a few old fav..."

I broke this up over two months. That worked for me.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

I'm listening to Kissing in the Dark by Wendy Lindstrom.
Kissing in the Dark (Grayson Brothers, #4) by Wendy Lindstrom

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissafransaw) | 10 comments For the past week and a half I've been on a paranormal romance binge, went through the first two of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series and Once Burned from another of her series, the first two of Thea Harrison's Elder Races series, and all three of the Phoenix Pack series by Suzanne Wright. The binge shows no signs of slowing down, haha, so I'll either keep going with the Elder Races or branch over to Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. Gotta love working from home so I can listen all day, lol! :)

message 44: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments Melissa wrote: "For the past week and a half I've been on a paranormal romance binge, went through the first two of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series and Once Burned from another of her series, the first two ..."

If you continue with the Night Huntress series, Vlad from Once Burned shows up for the first time in book 3, At Grave's End.

message 45: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Just started Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Heroes Are My Weakness. I have high hopes for narrator Erin Bennett. It doesn't release until the 26th - I have an early copy for an upcoming event.

message 46: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnpa) | 4 comments Can't wait to hear how you like it!

message 47: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments Lea, I have that, and Hot Zone by Jayne Castle on pre-order, releasing the same day. I'm not sure to listen to first! I'm not familiar with Erin Bennett, and I love Barbara Rosenblat. Let me know how the SEP turned out...

message 48: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments I have been listening to Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, my first non-fiction, non-romance listen in years. Enjoying it even more than the original read but need a break. Got to chapter 51 of 56 and decided to go to something short and light- The Cinderella Deal. Jennifer Crusie is always a comfort read/listen for me.

message 49: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments Where has Jennifer Crusie been? I've seen nothing from her since '10 - Maybe This Time, which I gave an average (3 star) rating for overall. Anyone know if she has any plans?

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

I researched a few weeks ago and she's working on a mystery series (has been since 2010). Her August 5 blog post said she's scrapped the book she's worked on, Lavender's Blues, and is starting all over again.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.