Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Your mid-year top 5-10 INTERNATIONAL books 2018

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally906 (last edited Jun 21, 2018 01:50AM) (new)

Sally906 | 7 comments

With July fast approaching it means that here in Aussie Readers it's time to reflect on all the books you have read so far the year and try and come up with your top 5 - 10 International books for the 2018 halfway point.

The books don't have to be released this year but only to be read. We will have another thread at the end of the year so we can see how many from this list have stood the test of time.

To get things started - here is my list:

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
The Last Train by Sue Lawrence The Last Train by Sue Lawrence
The Witness by Nora Roberts The Witness by Nora Roberts
The Pastor's Wife by Jennifer AlLee The Pastor's Wife by Jennifer AlLee
The Summer of New Beginnings (Magnolia Grove #1) by Bette Lee Crosby The Summer of New Beginnings by Bette Lee Crosby
Murder in Vail by Judy Moore Murder in Vail by Judy Moore
The Reaper Rescues The Genie (Nocturne Falls, #9) by Kristen Painter The Reaper Rescues The Genie by Kristen Painter
Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Devil in Spring by Lisa Kleypas
Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett

message 3: by L A i N E Y (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:38PM) (new)

L A i N E Y (ohlainey) | 122 comments What a great thread Sally! I’ll be adding bookSSS to my tbr shelf for sure, looking at everyone’s bests ^_^

Mine:

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers
Faking Normal (Faking Normal, #1) by Courtney C. Stevens Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens
Addicted to You (Addicted, #1) by Krista Ritchie Addicted to You by Krista Ritchie
The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

❤️

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1758 comments Unusually for me, I've read far more Australian authors so far this year, but I've still got a handful of really good international reads to choose from.

Happiness - top read of 2018 so far
The Seamstress of Ourfa
Ghosts of the Tsunami: Death and Life in Japan’s Disaster Zone
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
The Water Rat of Wanchai

Happiness by Aminatta Forna The Seamstress of Ourfa (#1) by Victoria Harwood Butler-Sloss Ghosts of the Tsunami Death and Life in Japan’s Disaster Zone by Richard Lloyd Parry Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal The Water Rat of Wanchai (Ava Lee, #1) by Ian Hamilton

message 7: by Trish L (new)

Trish L | 123 comments Here are my 5 star reads so far this year:

An Officer and a Spy An Officer and a Spy An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris

A Paris Affair A Paris Affair A Paris Affair by Tatiana de Rosnay

Serenity House Serenity House Serenity House by Christopher Hope

The Rest of their lives The Rest of Their Lives Bike Builder Math by Doug Mitchel East Wind West Wind by Pearl S. Buck

A Gentleman in Moscow A Gentleman in Moscow A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

the President's Hat The President's Hat The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain

the Gift of Rain The Gift of Rain The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng

message 8: by Trish L (new)

Trish L | 123 comments Whoops....seems I had finger trouble ! Here is the correct cover.

The Rest of their Lives The Rest of Their Lives The Rest of Their Lives by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent

and another one:

Anatomy of a Scandal Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan

message 9: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 383 comments My list of international favourites so far:
Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman by André Aciman
I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara by Michelle McNamara
A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss by Jill Twiss
They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera by Adam Silvera
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli by Becky Albertalli
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green by John Green

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments Odette wrote: "My 5 favourite books by international authors so far this years are:

Pieces of Happiness: A Novel of Friendship, Hope and Chocolate by Anne Østby
..."

I read All the Light We Cannot See last year, Odette, thinking it wouldn't live up to all the hype, but it so did, didn't it?!!

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments After some deliberation, my favourite non-Aussie reads from this year so far are:

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - 5★
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - 5★
Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall - 5★
Everything You Told Me by Lucy Dawson - 4.5★
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline - 4★
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley - 4★

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall Everything You Told Me by Lucy Dawson Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

message 13: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) | 943 comments Kathryn wrote: "Odette wrote: "My 5 favourite books by international authors so far this years are:

Pieces of Happiness: A Novel of Friendship, Hope and Chocolate by Anne Østby
...."

Though it took me a little while to get into it, I really liked All the Light We Cannot See. I appreciated the book more as I read on, and found it to be a very memorable story.

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 72350 comments Mod
I loved that one too! A most memorable and 5 star read for me :)

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Loved your last one Marlin!

message 19: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 413 comments Brenda wrote: "Loved your last one Marlin!"
That was one of my book club reads, would have missed it otherwise!

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Funny how that happens isn't it. I was sent my copy to review and would never have requested it. So was thrilled when I read it with how much I enjoyed it :)

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You have international and Aussie mixed here Mary - this one is for the International if you want to edit and put the others in the Aussie top thread :)

message 24: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kyliemaree) | 878 comments I'm a little late getting this up this year! Oh well!

My favourite International Reads so far for 2018 are below (up to the end of June), and in no particular order...

The Summer Guest by Emma Hannigan
Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly
Water Gypsies by Annie Murray
Heartaches and Christmas Cakes by Amy Miller
Death of Riley by Rhys Bowen
The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell
A Little Learning by Anne Bennett
A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick
Ross Poldark by Winston Graham
The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda

The Summer Guest by Emma Hannigan Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly Water Gypsies by Annie Murray Heartaches and Christmas Cakes by Amy Miller Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2) by Rhys Bowen The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) by Patricia Cornwell A Little Learning by Anne Bennett A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick Ross Poldark by Winston Graham The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda