You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Book Resources & Recommendations > Horror Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments I'm really wanting to get into horror books but I don't know where to start. I'm reading The Shining by Stephen King to see if I can handle it, but other than that I don't know where to go next if I like The Shining.

I would like to read horror books that have ghosts and demons in them. When I look up horror, I get a lot of zombie books really not interested in those. Thank you to everyone in advance.

message 2: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10535 comments In my opinion, you could not have been better than to start with the horror master, Stephen King. Be aware though that he does write more than just horror, so you may be surprised by books such as The Green Mile series or Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption: A Story from Different Seasons.

Others which I consider classic are :

Rosemary's Babyy
The Exorcist,
The Other
Ghost Story
The Haunting of Hill House
Heart-Shaped Box
Red Dragon
Swan Song
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Let the Right One In
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
The Stepford Wives
I Am Legend
Relic
Interview with the Vampire

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 21, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51926 comments I just finished The Broken Girls. It has a menacing ghost and has some chilling moments. This might be a good introduction in that it's not over the top scary.

You seem to like YA books from your profile. You might like:

Anna Dressed in Blood
Amber House
NOS4A2
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

message 4: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments All good recommendations! My personal favorite are:

Interview with the Vampire
It
The Stand
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Horns
The Woman in Black

Oh hell - I'm doing my to think of non-King horror but there isn't much that I've read that's in the same league! Oh, I would recommend Dolores Claiborne but it's not horror :-)

message 5: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments Thank you guys ^_^. Will definitely look at these books.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Some great recommendations here.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jun 23, 2018 05:33AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments One of the best I have read is Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. Her second ghost story, Thin Air, is excellent too.

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Jun 23, 2018 05:33AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Another book which I recommend is This House is Haunted by John Boyne. I found it quite creepy and I think it's very underrated.

message 9: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments Will definitely check them out Lisa, thank you.

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments That one is on my wishlist Lisa ☺