Play Book Tag discussion

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
This topic is about The Sixth Extinction
Archive: Other Books > The Sixth Extinction / Elizabeth Kolbert. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9085 comments The Sixth Extinction / Elizabeth Kolbert
4 stars

There have been five major extinctions. We may be headed (primarily due to humans) toward a 6th. This book is a mix of archaeology, paleontology, geology, anthropology, zoology, biology, history… The author looks at some species that have already gone extinct and others that appear to be heading that way. The book is filled with mastodons and mammoths, dinosaurs, rhinos, bats, neanderthals and humans (though we’re the only ones in this scenario that are expanding!).

I quite liked this, but I have to admit (and maybe it’s – at least in part – due to listening to it rather than reading it), I’m afraid I won’t remember most of it before too long. The information was not really surprising to me, but I did find it very interesting while I listened, even if I’m not sure how much I will remember..

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I liked this book too. I followed it up with a good companion book so much of it has stuck with me.

Sushicat | 805 comments What companion book?

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Collapse: How Socities Choose to Fail or Suceede

Sushicat | 805 comments Ah - this one is still sitting on the shelf...

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Jason wrote: "Collapse: How Socities Choose to Fail or Suceede"

Thanks, Jason! I'll check it out!

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Oh, that's the Jerod Diamond one! I feel like I've already read it, but if I have, it missed the import from shelfari. Will cross-check over at LT...

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Hmmm, maybe not. I've read "Guns, Germs, and Steel", but "Collapse" isn't coming up for me! Maybe I should add it.