Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Lost Stars (Star Wars)
This topic is about Lost Stars
Book Discussions > Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

This is our contemporary SF novel discussion of...

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray Lost Stars by Claudia Gray
(2015)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I started today. I wasn't aware this book is set during the timeline of the original film trilogy. It's a little YA for my taste but according to all the reviews I've read it's supposed to be good regardless.

Who else is reading this one or is in for the discussion?

Silvana (silvaubrey) I read this book earlier this year. It is too YA for my taste too - thhe female main character annoyed me - but has some good background/worldbuilding if you're into SW (the new canon).

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2811 comments I was tempted to skip this one, but I recall having fond memories of reading Star Trek books with my cousin, but we never read a Star Wars one (though we'd watch the movies together). Library had it so figured I'd give it a go, the YA aspect made me hopeful it would actually be a fast read even though its 500 pages long. Just started it this morning.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I just read Guardians of the Whill by Greg Rucka and it is very good for a YA Star Wars novel.

message 6: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2811 comments Ok, about 70% through and while I enjoy the inside POV of the Imperial Fleet (and the occasional encounter with Vader) I find myself not caring too much about the characters. Star Wars is not really my thing anyway, I've seen most of the movies (I missed one when I was sick and haven't seen the Han Solo one yet) but I can't even keep the movie titles straight :) Thus it took some time before I even figured out where in the timeline this book took place (the destruction of the Death Star was kind of a big hint though, hehe)

message 7: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2811 comments Finished it. I was expecting to find out Thane and Ciena were the parents of the main character in the new movies (what's her name, Ray?) since we don't know who her parents actually are. But if that's the case we don't find out in this book.

Must admit I wouldn't mind finding out where Nash's story goes and if it leads to something in the new movies. Definitely had a "to be continued" feeling at the end.

message 8: by David (last edited Jun 26, 2018 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David (davidmullin) | 7 comments I've read this in the last year. I agree that it is a bit too much of a YA novel for my taste but I thought it was fun to go inside the Imperial fleet and learn about the inner politics, etc. I thought she did a good job of weaving the story in and around the original trilogy. I liked the tie-in to The Force Awakens at the end as well. Overall, an enjoyable read for me. Perhaps I liked it better than I remember?

message 9: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2811 comments David wrote: "I've read this in the last year. I agree that it is a bit too much of a YA novel for my taste but I thought it was fun to go inside the Imperial fleet and learn about the inner politics, etc. I tho..."

I did like seeing how the Imperial soldiers are actually people. In the movies they are all so stiff and few have speaking roles or even personalities, but here we see them doing things that normal people do, at least when off duty (though still limited in what they can do without getting in trouble). You don't often get to see things from the "villain's" point of view. I put quotes because we still don't see the real villains (Emperor, Vader, etc) but still those who are considered villains from a movie-goer's view point. Also seeing the point of view of the "little people", the ensigns and such as opposed to the captains which usually drive stories.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I agree with a lot of the thoughts above from Andrea and David.

Seeing the events from the original Star Wars movie trilogy from a different perspective was fun and interesting, and it was also nice to know a little more about the Battle of Jakku (which led to the scavenging in the more recent Force Awakens film). There were some great insights into how the Empire recruits and operates on a daily basis, and also some of how the Rebellion operates, and how both are perceived by the civilians not actively involved in the war, and there's even some thoughts on what life was like before the Empire existed.

But unfortunately the book is just too YA, especially the relationship between the protagonists. The first 200 pages can be pretty much summed up as: "He likes her! Does she like him! They like each other!!! OMG!!!" Blech. The interesting ideas never go too deep for fear of alienating the target audience I assume. And the ending seems more like the setup for a sequel and feels very unsatisfying.

Overall I'm glad I read it, but just barely.

message 11: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2811 comments Randy wrote: "And the ending seems more like the setup for a sequel and feels very unsatisfying. "

And from what I could find, there was no such sequel so we're left hanging. Unless it gets picked up in the movies?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Andrea wrote: "And from what I could find, there was no such sequel so we're left hanging. Unless it gets picked up in the movies? "

Right. And I don't read enough SW books, canon or non-, to know if these characters ever surfaced anywhere else.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lost Stars (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Claudia Gray (other topics)