PewDiePie's Literature Club discussion

No Longer Human
This topic is about No Longer Human
April 2018 > No Longer Human - Osamu Dazai

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relaxingreader, Sayori (new) - added it

Relaxingreader | 67 comments Mod
This discussion is intended for talking about No Longer Human only. This discussion can contain spoilers. You can buy the book here (PewDiePie amazon affiliate link).

Caoimhin | 11 comments Mod
To say this book wasn't my thing would be putting it lightly ha

My review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

David Toth (readnarok) | 6 comments Caoimhín wrote: "To say this book wasn't my thing would be putting it lightly ha

My review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I kind of had the same feeling when I started to read this book, so I just put it down. I'm still planning to start it from the beginning though.

I think we are all missing on something until we read this in English, I know it sounds weird, but... I think this book is going to be special for only Japanese readers - who are not only familiar with the cultural and sociological aspects of the given era but they also have a very precise feeling they share by living these thoughts and sinking into them. Japan as a country being isolated for so long, has simply a weirdly different approach on most of the things we share in common, even if let's say you are from the States and I'm from Europe, more or less we'll understand each other's expressions and feelings. Whereas, starting from the very base of communication and expressing oneself, Japanese language gives the speaker a vastly different experience in my opinion. Please note that I just started to learn Japanese, so I could be wrong, I just have this feeling that even if I would be reading this in Japanese, I would be closer to understand it's original intent.

Yeah, I know basically I said a huge cliche, every book is better in its original language... :D Nonetheless, in this case, I think there's a cultural and language barrier here and that would make this book pretty damn hard to interpret for us, who read this in English.

I hope this wasn't too rambly and makes sense.