PewDiePie's Literature Club discussion

Moby-Dick or, the Whale
This topic is about Moby-Dick or, the Whale
March 2018 > Moby Dick - Herman Melville

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relaxingreader, Sayori (last edited Jun 21, 2018 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Relaxingreader | 75 comments Mod
This discussion is intended for talking about Moby-Dick or, The Whale only. This discussion can contain spoilers. You can buy the book here (PewDiePie amazon affiliate link).

message 2: by Relaxingreader, Sayori (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started reading this book last week and so far I'm surprised to say this book is much easier to read than I expected.

message 3: by Relaxingreader, Sayori (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm about a third of the way through this book, and feel like I have to expand a bit on my last message. I still think the dialogue in this book is very easy to read, but have changed my mind about that ease when talking about this book's monologues. So far, about a third of the chapters contain no dialogue whatsoever, and are just long historical or philosophical monologues that read very differently than the dialogue. Just yesterday I finished struggling my way through one of those more difficult chapters, after which I had no trouble reading the next two of three chapters, which were more dialogue oriented.

message 4: by Relaxingreader, Sayori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Last week I finished this book, clocking in at just over four months of reading, which averages just under six pages a day. Compared to my regular reading speed, that is really slow (for example, right after Moby Dick I read a 100 page book in 5 days). Why is this? Why did it take me so long to work through this book? Part of it is the 'monologues' I mentioned in my last post (which I have since learned are actually soliloquies), but that isn't the full extend of my slowdown. I believe Herman Melville assumed a few things about his readers when he wrote this book. He assumed they would be well read, understand the words he wrote, the references he made and the parallels he described. Every chapter, whether it be a short or a long one, had at least one or two aspects that I simply didn't understand. Sometimes I was able to figure it out based on the context, but more often than not I had to pull myself out of the book, look up the unknown, and try to dive back in with this new knowledge in the back of my mind. Every page I read in this book felt like an accomplishment, but even more so felt like a journey. At one point I was curious what the whales' heads would be used for, at another I was gripping the book tightly when I wasn't sure about the fate of one of the characters. I rated this book 5/5 stars. I didn't do this because I think I will re-read this book many times, but instead I did this because I feel everyone who wants to read it, definitely should read it.

message 5: by Kaitlyn (new) - added it

Kaitlyn | 1 comments I didn’t think I could get through reading Moby Dick so I have the audiobook version on hold through my public library app.