Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Book Buying Help

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 16 comments Okay, so I have so many unread books on my shelf and I want to buy more. The thing is, I mostly have the first book in a series on my shelf and not the other books in the series. I want to read the first book first to see if I like it or not. The only problem is, what I stated in the first sentence. Idk if I should buy more first in a series, or just go ahead and buy the rest of the books in the series I do own.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Books, decisions, decisions, decisions. Sorry, my own thought is--buy, buy, buy. Buy that new first book, buy the second book in the series, buy the third book. . .

Er, can you tell I have a slight book acquisition problem? (Only 3k in dead tree format plus another 5k on my Nook and yet another 3k on my Kindle.) Yes, I have both, and no, I don't have a problem. At least-that's what I keep telling my husband. I know that God won't let me die before I've read every single book I own.

RyanneAndHerBooks | 64 comments I nearly always just buy all the books in a series at once and binge them if they're all out. If I were you I'd start reading the ones you have and then buy the next ones if you like them. So, pick one up, read it, if you like it you have an excuse to buy the next ones. If not, you don't buy the rest of them, pick up a different one you have and see if that one clicks.

message 4: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 16 comments Yeah, I should stick with the books I have and just buy the next in the series if I like it. Thanks guys.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments When I buy the first book of a series I always read it first and if I like it I buy the rest. However, sometimes I just come across another book that sounds great but isn't part of that series and I still buy it^^ I try to keep up with my physical tbr though and not buy more and more books without having read the ones I already own. It doesn't always work out, but it's worth a try X'D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Buy standalones. Easy solution. Also you could read one book and then buy one book good system that.

message 7: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 16 comments ⭐Anni⭐ wrote: "When I buy the first book of a series I always read it first and if I like it I buy the rest. However, sometimes I just come across another book that sounds great but isn't part of that series and ..."

OMG ME! My tbr list on good reads is practically my entire shelf right now.

message 8: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 16 comments Oda Renate wrote: "Buy standalones. Easy solution. Also you could read one book and then buy one book good system that."

That is indeed a good system, but it's also so hard when you don't have much self-control. But you are right.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hanks (flooblover) | 6 comments I’m not much help on this subject. When at a bookstore im like an unleashed, unsupervised toddler in a candy store. Never fails I will end up with $100 in books at the checkout. And I’m not ashamed.