Play Book Tag discussion

Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)
This topic is about Blue Lightning
Archive: Other Books > Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5159 comments DI Jimmy Perez takes his fiance to his birthplace, Fair Isle, to meet his parents. It's the smallest of the Shetland Islands, with only a tiny community, but it is a heaven for birders. A storm has cut the island off for a few days, and when the director of the world-renowned bird observatory is found with a knife in her back, he is the only one who can investigate until the weather clears enough to bring a team in. Unfortunately, by then another murder has occurred.

This was the best of the series so far, and it's clear that originally it was to be the last. However, I came to this late and happily there are at least three more after this. The plot pacing was steady and never bogged down like in her previous books, and the mystery was sufficiently convoluted so as to keep the killer's identity obscured until she makes it clear near the end. I should have expected the ending - after all, I watched the TV series before reading the books. It packs a powerful punch and would have been a great coup de grace had the series ended. Fortunately, it didn't and I am on to book 5. My rating is 4.5 because this is the best of the books so far, but I'm stingy with my 5's so I will round down.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments You and all of your series! lol