Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > His Majesty's Dragon-5 stars

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments His Majesty's Dragon 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. I picked it not knowing what it was about-I am glad I did. A book that makes me smile 2-3 chapters in is usually a winner for me

The book is a fantasy/alternative history in the time of Napoleon. English Naval Captain Will Luarence attacks a French vessel and the rewards of the capture include a dragons egg. Once the dragon hatches, Captain Luarence finds himself pulled into the unfamiliar world of the British Ariel Corp and captain of the dragon he names Temeraire. The Ariel Corp is an integral, but not respected, part of the British defense against Napoleon .

I loved the dragons and their ability to talk and how they emotionally attach to their captains. I admit, it sounds ridiculous. However Novik has the talent to draw you into this world and make you believe!

This is the first in a series and I am looking forward to escaping back into the world of Temeraire.

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I'm putting this on my TBR, my grandson might like it too!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Loved this book - 4****

I've read the second in the series, but no further ... yet

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This sounds great! Is it suitable for a ten year old?

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Amy and I are reading this in July.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Barbara wrote: "I'm putting this on my TBR, my grandson might like it too!"

How old is he? Reading it out loud would be wonderful! There is a very small romance that happens near the end just in case he is young. If read aloud, you easily skip over it

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Susie wrote: "This sounds great! Is it suitable for a ten year old?"

As I told Barbara, a small romance scene-probably not appropriate for a ten year old to read-but if you were reading aloud, you could easily skip over it

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Jason wrote: "Amy and I are reading this in July."

You will love it! Promise! Made me smile so much!

message 9: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments My husband recommended series to me because he knows that I love historical fiction. I was like, really, dragons??

But like you, a couple chapters in, I was hooked. Temeraire is a great character. While I haven’t read the whole series, I do plan on it.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9390 comments Made Jason a promise that we would read this in July, along with we were the lucky ones soon after. Also promised KSZR That there would be a group read of the Hearts Invisible Furies. So I guess I better get cracking. Jason and I are known to be not so fond of dragons in the first place, so this should be interesting. Everyone seems to love this book and has recommended it to us both. So we are taking on the challenge. It will be interesting to see whether we enjoy the ride.

message 11: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I enjoyed Uprooted enough to glance at the first page of this but it didn't grab me. For anyone who has read both, if I loved Uprooted, will I like this series? I've pretty much only heard good things about it so I'd like to give it a try, but it sounds pretty different so it's hard to gauge.

message 12: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I think they are very different. I would say you probably need to like historical fiction as even though there are dragons, it is a lot about the war and life during that time period.

message 13: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5160 comments Very different from Uprooted, which I preferred. Although I think this book, His Majesty's Dragon, is on par with Uprooted, I was not as keen about the rest of the series, where the story progressed very very slowly. I lost interest at around book 4 or 5, can't remember which, and have not gone back to it yet.

message 14: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments So when you say romance... do you mean explicit? Or PG? (Like in the princess bride movie :))
Because I might try to read with my girl - we are always on the lookout for good reads, but I won’t start skipping bits

message 15: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments Joanne wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I'm putting this on my TBR, my grandson might like it too!"

How old is he? Reading it out loud would be wonderful! There is a very small romance that happens near the end just in c..."

Ryan is 17. I used to read aloud to him and his brother (now 15) but not in a long time. Still read aloud to my granddaughter when I can, she's 9 and lives across the country from me. However, Ryan and I have shared some books we both like and we'll be together for a week starting Saturday. I've already requested it from my library!

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Amy wrote: "Made Jason a promise that we would read this in July, along with we were the lucky ones soon after. Also promised KSZR That there would be a group read of the Hearts Invisible Furies. So I guess I ..."

Can't wait to hear your verdict Amy. I am still learning how to write these reviews, and yours are always so beautifully written. Whether you are a "yay or a nay" I still look forward to your review! As for We Were the Lucky Ones , I absolutely loved it-and look forward to comments on it as well.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Amy N. wrote: "I enjoyed Uprooted enough to glance at the first page of this but it didn't grab me. For anyone who has read both, if I loved Uprooted, will I like this series? I've pretty much onl..."

Amy, I read Uprooted too. Also liked it and that lead me to this series. If you liked Novik's writing then i believe you will like how she builds this world.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Idit wrote: "So when you say romance... do you mean explicit? Or PG? (Like in the princess bride movie :))
Because I might try to read with my girl - we are always on the lookout for good reads, but I won’t sta..."

There is heavy flirting by a pretty forward woman -The protagonist is always the gentleman. There are no heavy sex scenes, but you know they slept together. Also a child out of wed-lock, which is explained with a a shrug. Hope this helps

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Barbara wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I'm putting this on my TBR, my grandson might like it too!"

How old is he? Reading it out loud would be wonderful! There is a very small romance that happens near th..."

Enjoy! My daughter and I always read together every night and I miss those times! There is nothing, I believe, that would be anything a 17 and 15 year old would find ew or shocking

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments Barbara wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I'm putting this on my TBR, my grandson might like it too!"

How old is he? Reading it out loud would be wonderful! There is a very small romance that happens near th..."

I don't think there is anything that would be inappropriate for older teens. Enjoy!