Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Toronto/Montreal/Maine Picture Books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 193 comments Hi! My family is taking a roadie through Toronto, Montreal, Acadia Park (in Maine), and Plymouth Plantation. Any recommendations for picture books to prep the kids for the trip? My children are 6, 3, and 1. We already have Miss Rumphius and The Thanksgiving Story.

message 2: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6832 comments Mod
Oh wow, what an adventure!

Gundula (Manybooks) is from that region; if she doesn't chime in soon maybe look at her personal shelves or PM her. I do seem to recall that there were a few non-fiction ABC geography books that she liked....

message 3: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 2239 comments Well OF COURSE you need One Morning in Maine and Blueberries for Sal.

I'm from New England and have studied New England history extensively.

My list of books that accurately portray Plymouth Colony is short
all books by Kate Waters. They're old now but still classics.

1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving

The Pilgrims of Plimoth: Struggle for Survival

Three Young Pilgrims

Daily Life in the Pilgrim Colony 1636

The Boy Who Fell Off the Mayflower, or John Howland's Good Fortune

message 4: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 20, 2018 04:41PM) (new)

Manybooks | 8775 comments Mod
Have to check my shelves!

message 5: by V (last edited Jun 20, 2018 05:34PM) (new)

V | 11 comments I'd suggest taking a look at Islandport Press offerings. They are a Maine-based company. I recently requested I Am Birch from them to read and review with my 3 year old, and he really enjoyed it. I did too.

I Am Birch

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 2239 comments A Seal Called Andre is set in Maine-Bar Harbor, if I remember correctly. It was a childhood favorite. Andre has since passed away but his story lives in through the book and movie.

message 7: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 21, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

Many of the specific Montreal and Toronto picture books which titles I have found appear to be ABC or Goodnight type of books (which I have not read).

Good Night Toronto
Good Night Montreal
F est pour le Français: Un Livre d'Alphabet sur le Québec = F Is for French: A Quebec Alphabet
Keman's First Carnival (about Caribana)

Mayfly (not about Toronto but about a family vacation at an Ontario cottage)
A is for Algonquin: An Ontario Alphabet (not read this, but other books of the series have been pretty good)

East to the Sea (about the Maritimes but the family is from Ontario)
Return to the Sea (the trip East from Ontario does show Quebec City)

House Calls: The True Story of a Pioneer Doctor (true story of the author's great great grandfather set in what is today the Ontario city of Peterborough)

Everything You Should Know About: Montreal

ABC in Montreal

This might be a bit far fetched, but in Roch Carrier's The Flying Canoe, there are pictures that are clearly meant to represent Montreal.

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story

I found this a bit too cutesy and ahistorical and some of the illustrations (especially of the pilgrims' houses too modern), but considering the age of the OP's children, it might be fun for them.

I also recommend Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving, but it might as yet bee a bit too advanced, detailed and involved.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 193 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Well OF COURSE you need One Morning in Maine and Blueberries for Sal.

I'm from New England and have studied New England history extensively.

My list of books that accur..."

Thanks, New Englander! The Dalgliesh book (probably not your favorite) mentions some of my ancestors, so it's pretty much required. I'm glad to add in some more accurate books. I'm starting with 1621 and the Kate Waters books. I'm also checking out Squanto's Journey, which I remember fondly from when I read it many years ago.

We'll also read the McCloskey books. I read Blueberries for Sal with my daughter a year or two ago, so I'll see if she remembers it.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 193 comments V wrote: "I'd suggest taking a look at Islandport Press offerings. They are a Maine-based company. I recently requested I Am Birch from them to read and review with my 3 year old, and he really enjoyed it. I..."

The library didn't have it. I'll keep an eye out when we're up there.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 193 comments Manybooks wrote: "Many of the specific Montreal and Toronto picture books which titles I have found appear to be ABC or Goodnight type of books (which I have not read).

Good Night Toronto
[book:Good..."

Well, this is frustrating. The only books my library had were Mayfly and The Red Canoe. Cincinnati is less than six hours from the border. You would think we would stock some of their children's books.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Phil wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Many of the specific Montreal and Toronto picture books which titles I have found appear to be ABC or Goodnight type of books (which I have not read).

[book:Good Night Toronto|9..."

Mayfly is sweet, but yeah, there are a lot less Canadian based picture books in US libraries than vice versa even in areas close to the border.

message 13: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 2239 comments My library catalog says search under Maine--Juvenile Fiction and it brings up a lot of books. Counting Our Way to Maine by Maggie Smith sounds like a good one for the younger kids.

I Met A Moose in Maine One Day by Ed Shankman looks adorable.

Look up Down East Books, another Maine publisher