Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Sea of Rust (Sea of Rust, #1)
This topic is about Sea of Rust
Buddy Reads > Sea of Rust - BR - July/August 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 519 comments As, sadly, it lost the poll, is anyone interested in a Buddy Read for Sea of Rust?

I've put July in the heading, but happy to flex to whatever suits folks.

Peter | 28 comments I'm in. Already picked up the audiobook and was planning on reading it in the next few weeks anyway.

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Count me in too :-)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I‘m in too :)

message 5: by Margo (new)

Margo Well I have just been checked audio availability and it's not out til 19/7/18 so I think I'll wait.

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Its one od the books I have set for my holiday reads so that should suit the timing

Sandy | 1665 comments Depending on the library - and the time you guys start - I am in too.

Dawn | 1152 comments yes, I have a copy so I'll join in

Peter | 28 comments It's July, so I've started on the book now.

I'm enjoying it so far. There's quite a bit of world-building to get you orientated and lots of backstory for the protagonist who's satisfyingly complex.

There are quite a few themes the book touches on, so we should have quite a bit to talk about.

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 519 comments Well done! I haven't read anything at all this month yet >.< (unless beta reads and half a magazine count!)

Hopefully I can start this weekend.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I expect to start reading next week. I have a couple of short novels to finish first and I am behind on my creative writing course deadline .

Sandy | 1665 comments Will start tomorrow...looking forward to the discussion.

Sandy | 1665 comments ok - is there a problem with my Kindle edition or did the author pay fast and loose with chapter numbers. - my book went from chapter 1 to chapter 10.

Sandy | 1665 comments The first chapter was a doozy - you shouldn't trust me but I need you to trust me. Wow! I can see what you mean by lots of themes to discuss.

Peter | 28 comments Sandy wrote: "ok - is there a problem with my Kindle edition or did the author pay fast and loose with chapter numbers. - my book went from chapter 1 to chapter 10."

Chapters are numbered in binary format, ie computer readable language.
So 1 = 1, 2 = 10, 3 = 11, 4 = 100 etc

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Hoping to start this one next week, looking forward to it!

message 17: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1144 comments Peter wrote: "Sandy wrote: "ok - is there a problem with my Kindle edition or did the author pay fast and loose with chapter numbers. - my book went from chapter 1 to chapter 10."

Chapters are numbered in binar..."

Ha! I love it!

message 18: by Sandy (last edited Jul 05, 2018 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandy | 1665 comments well isn't that clever - geez never would have guessed that and it makes a whole lot of sense.

Thanks for clearing that up for me...lol

Thought my kindle had gone on the fritz! But in my defense it was late at night. I won't mention that I am a computer geek either...

Sandy | 1665 comments Well wow - have to give this 5 stars - really made me think - hard to get into at first. Loved the way that Brittle grew in the story. Well done to the author. When someone starts out feeling antagonistic to the MC and ends up a 5 star - that says something. Just couldn't put it down. Can't wait to hear what others think.

Very strange that I tried to find this thread with a search on the title of the book and it didn't find it.

message 20: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1144 comments Sandy wrote: "Well wow - have to give this 5 stars - really made me think - hard to get into at first. Loved the way that Brittle grew in the story. Well done to the author. When someone starts out feeling antag..."

Glad you enjoyed it Sandy! Maybe I'll try to get a copy!

Bruce (bruce1984) Sandy wrote: "Very strange that I tried to find this thread with a search on the title of the book and it didn't find it. "

GR is coming alive!

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I loved this. The characters are so well imagined and written. They are all terribly flawed but somehow I was rooting for them. I loved Brittle and yet she was a very brutal child killer?

Also, did anyone else think that Brittle was deliberately given very male characteristics?

Peter | 28 comments Maria wrote: "did anyone else think that Brittle was deliberately given very male characteristics?"

Hmm, I didn't notice that. I might be a tad biased though since I did the audiobook narrated by Eva Kaminsky. What did you consider as "very male characteristics"?

On that note though, I liked how the issue of gender was addressed. Robots/AI don't have a gender, but by humans imparting their preferences onto them (ie, by selecting feminine voice settings and treating the robot as "one of the girls"), the robots created their own identity based on the way they were treated. I thought it was an interesting commentary on our heteronormative culture in general and even touched on how we've started to become more aware of those kinds of aspects in our own society like with forcing gender roles onto children.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) She very much talks and thinks like a Man and her gender identity was very much a surprise. She read as male from the first paragraph. I noticed reading from other Goodreads reviews I wasn't the only one to feel that way. What exactly makes Male or Female thinking? I really can't quite put my finger on that. It is more than her actions.

Maybe its explained by her not identifying very strongly with a gender and being happy to be called it until the revolution. Maybe being female in her case is simply just her assigned voice gender.

Sandy | 1665 comments Did you feel that Brittle was a male because of her brutality and ability to shake it off when it came to killing children? Females often are said to be more nurturing in stereotype. I guess in the beginning i thought of Brittle as male and it did come as a surprise that it wasn't. Maybe it was because of her ability to track a dying robot and scavenge the pieces so dispassionately. I really thought she was going to try to fix him. I wonder if everyone else had the initial impression and does even that differ by our own gender?

Sandy | 1665 comments Did anyone feel that the scene when she met the dying robot brought out the mercy killing controversy?

Sandy | 1665 comments Did anyone else wonder why the author decided to kill off all humans? Why not a story that had humans and robots coexisting at least in part? Is it logical to destroy all organic life?

Peter | 28 comments Sandy wrote: "Did anyone feel that the scene when she met the dying robot brought out the mercy killing controversy?"

What controversy? Are you referring to something specific or just the idea of mercy killing?
As for me, I didn't make the connection at the time. Since it was still quite early in the book, I thought the justification for Brittle's actions were quite reasonable, at least from her perspective as a robot needing to survive. Sure, it made for a great character that's not your usual heroic good-guy, but at the time I thought the author would run with the idea of how robots needed to think differently to us because of our inherent differences. So I was quite disappointed that didn't end up being the case.

I never quite bought the whole concept of robots having morals so similar to ours. Even if they had been programmed that way, it was made quite clear they could think for themselves and go against their original programming. Keeping morals based on a dead human culture made no sense to me, especially for intelligences based on logic and efficiency.

Sandy | 1665 comments Peter wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Did anyone feel that the scene when she met the dying robot brought out the mercy killing controversy?"

What controversy? Are you referring to something specific or just the idea of ..."

I didn't have a problem with them having morals like ours - after all they were built by us and even logical people can have morals. But you bring up an interesting point.

I guess the whole thing of the ritual before taking the other robot apart smacked of human influence. Mercer with his sign of the cross and Brittle with her - you shouldn't trust me - but I need you to trust me comment. That smacked of human morals to me.

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments I'm a bit late to the party but I just finished this and have to say that I thought it was amazing. I agree that it was a bit of a surprise to find that Brittle identified as female, but then again, I'm not sure that she really did in many ways. It was more of an identity that her owners chose for her and I wondered if she kept it in part to remember them.
What struck me most about the book was how emotive it was. There were parts I found genuinely sad and I sometimes found it easy to forget that the characters weren't human. I guess that was kind of the point though, with the robots discussing the idea that they're simply the next stage of evolution of the human race, the only way for humanity to survive being as something entirely different.

There was a lot to think about in here and I'm really glad I finally got around to reading it, I think it's been a while since I've been so drawn into a science fiction book.

As an aside, this was nominated for the Arthur C Clarke Award this year and having read both this and the winner I can say that this was by far my favourite of the two. I guess the judges are looking for different things than I am but I thought this was a better story with better characters and a more thought-provoking set of ideas.

message 31: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
I'm extra late in that I only started today. Oops

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 519 comments I haven't even started it yet and I created this darned thread... 😅

Oops!

message 33: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 1152 comments Can we extend it to a July/August BR since I've not started it either?

message 34: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Good plan

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 519 comments Abso-tively-lutely!

I have amended the title!

(and I will probably now also fail to find time to start the book in August... >.<)

message 36: by Sandy (last edited Jul 30, 2018 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandy | 1665 comments Vinca wrote: "I'm a bit late to the party but I just finished this and have to say that I thought it was amazing. I agree that it was a bit of a surprise to find that Brittle identified as female, but then again..."

Which book did win Vinca? Maybe the award winners found it hard to relate to Brittle. Isn't saying robots are the next form of humanity like saying that we are the next form of the dodo bird?

Had a hard time getting my head around that...

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments The winner was Dreams Before the Start of Time, an odd little thing exploring how pregnancy and genetic manipulation of offspring changes through a few generations. It just didn't really click with me. It was free on UK Kindle unlimited and is short enough that it's worth a look if you can pick it up from there or the library. There were a few things that made me stop and think about the whole idea.

Sandy | 1665 comments Thanks Vinca - looks interesting...probably able to relate to more people than the Sea of Rust. Tough for people to relate given the whole premise of the book and Brittle's part in the aftermath of Issactown.

message 39: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Finally finished. A very odd book but one I really enjoyed. Actually liked Brittle for all her oddities, and skewed moral stance.Sometimes relatable but othertimes very inhuman it all works. The apocalypse was an interesting setup, although the extent tge theory is that the went with the OWIs expanding to space was pushing it a little.
The mad robots were a good touch and I would like to see a short story in the future around that.

message 40: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 1152 comments Finished! Only a month late but I got there eventually and glad I did. This was a really interesting book the way the AI's set-up the robots and the robots set-up the religious fanatics to start a war; it was like a conspiracy novel but with robots.
I did like the details of Brittle's failure and how you learn about her past through memory glitches. A novel twist on the usual flashback theme and for a bunch of robots I thought the writer did a great job with the characters. I loved the way Brittle and Mercer tried to kill each other at the start then became friends as they slowly got to know each other. I've read a lot of books where writers didn't do as good a job with human characters. The only place the book fell short was on the motive; the AI couldn't think of a way to save humanity so it decided to kill them off! Just seems a bit weak!

message 41: by Sandy (last edited Aug 23, 2018 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandy | 1665 comments Great thoughts Dawn! I too had a problem with that motive. I guess it was logical just a bit weak! totally agree.

I too felt Brittle a Mercer a great character development.