What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Supernatural/spooky book. A paranormal PI(?) goes to this mansion at the request of the lady of the house as there have been "disturbances" but no one believes her. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments The novel is about this man (he might be some kind of paranormal PI?) and he goes to this mansion at the request of the lady of the house as there have been "disturbances" but no one believes her...I think that's the gist of it anyway...
Anyway, as he investigates the house and it's "occupants" he discovers not all is as it appears to be.. I cant really say more without adding spoilers but he doesn't figure it out until the end, although the reader does!

I thought it might have been a James Herbert novel, but I've goggled all his works and I don't think it is. I also think it might have been made into a film or TV programme at some point, but I'm not a big TV fan, so I can't be sure. I also can't tell you when it would have been written either, sorry!

Thank for your time...., Kelly...x

message 2: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 305 comments The Dark Side of the Road (Ishmael Jones, #1) by Simon R. Green

Add the spoilers for better results. =)

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Kelly, spoilers are totally encouraged in this group since there are any number of books that start out as you described, but it's the spoilers that get it found in the end. If you are still worried, there is an HTML method of "hiding" the spoilers. (view spoiler). To see how to do it, click on the SOME HTML IS OK link at the top right of the comment box. This is ONLY in the computer version, not available in the app. If you are using the app (yes, we all know that the app sucks and mods all across GR have complained about it for years) then put a spoiler alert at the top of the comment and hit enter a bunch of times. So it looks like this:

SPOILER

them after the word SPOILER rolls off the screen, type in your spoiler.

Is this a book for adults or YA or children or for NA?

I'm going to admit I thought at first it might be a Dresden book, (I haven't caught up to date with them all) but I'm thinking not really after reading the rest of your post.

There are any number of other PN Mysteries/UFs that it could be. So roll out those spoilers.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Thanks for your replies...x

Okay here goes...The book starts off with a letter,written by the lady of the manor house to the man who I think is a paranormal investigator. The letter describes unusual events that have taken place in the manor and she asks for his help. The lady doesn't live in the manor anymore, I believe she's living with her daughter....

The daughter greets him when he first arrives in town and she explains that her mother is not well and her mind is not all there. She believes he has wasted his time and apologises for her mother's strange letter....

Since he is there,however, he decides to look at the old manor and finds there is a family living there...Servants I think but I can't remember...

Anyway...during his stay there unexplained things begin to happen..There's also something about a well in the manor gardens but I'm not sure on the significance of this....I think a child died there?....

He sets up tape recording devices and asks the family questions about the manors history etc...

SPOILER...

Anyway, it turns out the family is not actually real...They are all ghosts and he's been living among them not realising they are spirits but he doesn't discover this until the end, when he finds their graves.

That's about all I can remember....x

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra Firestone | 124 comments This sounds interesting! I hope you do find it.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments lol, Debra...It is a good read, one of my old favourites. That's why I didn't want to give away any spoilers, just in case anyone else was interested!😀

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Oh...Just thinking on it now...I think the lady who writes him the letter comes back to the manor at the end as well and burns the whole place down...

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
What do you think of Cupcakedoll's suggestion of The Dark Side of the Road by Simon R. Green?

Here's the Google Books preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=bfw... There are different cover images.

message 9: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments This sounds like Haunted, the movie version had Kate Beckinsale in it
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113269, haven't read the book but the film is pretty close (for a movie adaptation anyway) to what you described from what I recall.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Haunted by James Herbert - Aerulan's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=KrI... There are different cover images.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Kelly, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 66 comments Perhaps “Ghosts” by Noel Hynd?