YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Gold Shadow (Bronze Rebellion #1)
This topic is about Gold Shadow
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Meet Our Author, LC Perry

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Welcome LC Perry and thank you for being our JULY SOTM! Here is where you can ask the author any questions about the book or her writing.

message 2: by L.C. (new) - added it

L.C. Perry | 40 comments Thanks for having me everyone! Looking forward to any of your questions and/or comments <3

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments So LC, I have started to read Gold Shadow...and am loving it BTW! Question... Did you base Ebony off of someone you know personally?

message 4: by L.C. (new) - added it

L.C. Perry | 40 comments Hey Heather! To answer your question, Ebony was actually not based off of anyone I know. Given the circumstances she grew up in, I figured it made sense for her to be emotionally detached and distant. She believes she survived so long because of that and I've sort of had to put myself in her shoes to really get a feel for how she would turn out :)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments L.C. wrote: "Hey Heather! To answer your question, Ebony was actually not based off of anyone I know. Given the circumstances she grew up in, I figured it made sense for her to be emotionally detached and dista..."

oooh! I love her! She has a tough exterior but she wrestles within herself over what is the right thing to do while trying to remain emotionless. I love that she actually does have a soft side while being such a tough chickie:)

message 6: by L.C. (new) - added it

L.C. Perry | 40 comments Yay! I'm so glad you like her! When I wrote her character, I wasn't sure how likable she would be but I'm so glad to hear that she's popular among my readers~

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments no, I think you wrote her perfectly. If the book would not be from her POV, then I could understand why people may not like her but with being able to get inside her head, it makes us understand why she is that way.

message 8: by L.C. (new) - added it

L.C. Perry | 40 comments Thank you!

Joanna (skavansieur) Hello L.C.! I was wondering, was there anything that inspired you to write a book with a plot like this? Gold Shadow has quite a large number of diverse characters, was it difficult to develop their personalities?

message 10: by L.C. (new) - added it

L.C. Perry | 40 comments Hey Puffer Jo! :D

There were actually a number of things that helped me create this plot. For this series, this was a case where I created some of the characters first before I fully developed the plot. I knew that I wanted one of my main characters to be strong and detached (which is a main character I've never written before) and I wanted her to have to escape her horrid conditions and help fight for her future. Therefore, the slave system and rebellion idea formed. The princess was actually inspired by a fictional character and she came to me a little later after Ebony did. I really liked the idea of two women that came from completely different lives were going to meet and I decided to stick with it!

As for the diverse characters, I felt this was a story where I could easily normalize diversity/representation. In this world, race and sexual orientation and religious differences are not discriminated. Anyone can be a slave or a rebel or an aristocrat and I like to think that forces readers to see the disparities for what they are rather than which groups of people are affected by them.

I'm also someone who loves character driven stories! I think my greatest strength is developing characters because for me, they just pop out of my head and they tell me what they would say, and what they wouldn't say and I can tell if something is out of character for them because I treat them like they're real life people (if that makes sense?) I think that because I saw each character as unique and that the differences came out natural rather than forced is why I didn't find developing their personalities difficult.

Haha sorry for the long answer!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Thank you LC for being our Spotlight of the Month for July!!!

message 12: by L.C. (new) - added it

L.C. Perry | 40 comments heather wrote: "Thank you LC for being our Spotlight of the Month for July!!!"

Thank you so much for having me!! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.