What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 90s YA novel about virtual reality and/or shared dreams? 2 male best friends and a girl with a Gameboy who wears red Doc Martens

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments A British YA novel from the 90s, or possibly late 80s.

The plot involved virtual reality somehow, and/or maybe the characters could see each other's dreams/imaginations? I didn't finish reading it so I'm not clear on the details. It started with two teenage boys, best friends, at a house party. I think there were chapters from each boy's perspective.

There was a scene where one boy could see himself from his friend's POV, and noted that his friend saw him as better looking than he was in reality. There was also a girl at the party who was sitting alone playing a GameBoy and wearing cherry red Doc Marten boots. At least one of the boys was romantically interested in the girl but she was quite aloof, at least at the beginning.

Any help appreciated, sorry for the lack of details!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments bump

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Do you remember the cover?
PArt of a series?
Location story takes place?

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Hi Tab. My memory of the cover is a bit vague. I'm picturing a grey and black cover with kind of shadowy figures on it? I think the author was male.

I don't think it was part of a series. As for the location... I'm pretty sure it was UK but I can't be more specific.

Sorry I don't think my details are adding much!

message 5: by Mo (new)

Mo | 7 comments Could this be Space Demons?

The third book in the trilogy, Shinkei has a cover a bit like you describe

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks Mo for the suggestion. I've had a look and I don't think this is what I'm looking for. I see what you mean about the cover of Shinkei but I am 99% sure I haven't read any of this series.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

message 8: by Rachel (new)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments 90s virtual reality bump

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments cherry red Doc Martens bump

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments virtual reality Doc Martens bump

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments From Blood: Two Brothers has an art student with cherry-red Doc Martens and best friends who seem to have some sort of telepathy, so maybe?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Bryn, this looks very plausible but I can't find a detailed plot summary anywhere. I'll update when I can get hold of a copy and confirm one way or another. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments Good luck finding a copy, Rachel!