Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > THE GOBLIN EMPEROR: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

WARNING: SPOILERS LIKELY!

Jo  (Mixed Book Bag) (jomixedbookbag) | 35 comments I received an ARC of The Goblin Emperor and it is one of my favorites. While the theme is familiar Addison gave it so many great twists. I recommend it if you like fantasy.

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
I finished this last night and I really loved it! I like more character-based fantasy, so the lack of action didn't bother me, though I know some readers found it slow. The court intrigue was well-developed, as was the slow building of trust between Maia and his people. I particularly enjoyed his relationship with Idra and the realization at the end that he could, in fact, be friends with his... bodyguards (I forget the term and don't have the book in front of me), depending on how "friendship" is defined.

My one complaint? Oy, the names! I had a hard time keeping track of which were names and which were titles, which were male and which were female, and just figuring out how to pronounce the longer ones. I wish I'd known in advance that there was a "traveler's guide to the elflands" at the end that explained the titles and honorifics, and a glossary of people and places. I wish it had been included at the beginning instead, since it didn't contain any spoilers or anything I don't see why it couldn't be.

But I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for more from Katherine Addison. Really impressive debut!

message 4: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments I finished the book not an hour ago and while I liked it, I didn't really love it as much as I expected. There are a lot of good things going on in this book but there were a few things that came out as negatives for me. Here's my short review if you're wondering what I'm mumbling about.