Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Servant of the Empire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Servant of the Empire [Feb 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Feb 1st.

Link to previous BR: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Tomorrow Tomorrow I’ll read you Tomorrow...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments #metoo

message 4: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3368 comments I'm in too though I'll be joining late. Need to finish my current buddy read.

Graeme Rodaughan I'm keen to watch this thread. I read the book recently - so no re-read here. But I love to people enjoy it.

message 6: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Just started - Midkemian slaves? Interesting.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I wanted more romance and here it is: only a couple of chapters in and we seem to have a triangle. (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Oh no! Please not a love triangle.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Well, she has been suppressing her libido for years so what did you expect? :D

message 10: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena And large ginger is so exotic.

message 11: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 18025 comments Mod
I dunno if it's a love triangle or not... she seems more intrigued by the Midkemian than the nobleman... and is around the Midkemian more, since he's a slave... seems obvious how it will turn out... should be interesting reaching that point, tho...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments She has a soft spot for the noble, there is no doubt about it. For such a reserved creature, she is as good as in throes of passion. I think I liked it more if she fell in love with the enemy. Now, that would be interesting especially in the constraints of the culture. But alas, the Minwanabi lords are depicted in a rather unappealing way so one can only hate them. Pity that (one of the reasons for 4 stars on the previous book).

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments You all are killing me. I've been swamped at work so haven't had a chance to even listen to anything today. I prob won't get a chance to start this one till Monday since I'm prob working all weekend :'-(

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I'll be working over the weekend too! So do not worry, you are not alone in your misery.

I am somewhere in chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here I am, powering through... the book is really long, but I love everything about it... can't believe I managed to wait a month to continue, after the last book... around chapter 18 already... some great crossover with the initial trilogy... (view spoiler)

I still have no idea how Kevin (view spoiler)

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I started yesterday and am about 20% in. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Just finished Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments And now I am sad that I don't get these Riftwar proper references!

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena 18 % in! 😍
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "And now I am sad that I don't get these Riftwar proper references!"

They're pretty minor in the grand scheme of things... Kevin meets Pug & Laurie for all of a page early on... then a scene from Magician: Master is the impetus for a chapter in the middle of the book... but Kevin just has a sense of deja vu from across a building...

message 21: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

(Almost) finished it... loved it... almost want to finish the trilogy immediately... but then, I don't want it to be over, either...

SO MUCH happened, in this one... I mean, it's 50% longer than the first book...

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "(Almost) finished it... loved it... almost want to finish the trilogy immediately... but then, I don't want it to be over, either...

SO MUCH happened, in this one... I mean, it's 50% longer than t..."

Oh good to hear, because around chapter 11 I am mightily BORED. Especially that the overture was:
- intrigue planned
- executed (no suspense here)

Reading about things that were heralded already takes a lot of fun away.

message 23: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "(Almost) finished it... loved it... almost want to finish the trilogy immediately... but then, I don't want it to be over, either...

SO MUCH happened, in this one......"

I dunno... I just love this world / trilogy... it does kinda beat you over the head a bit... not very subtle foreshadowing (view spoiler) but the endgame for the book is nice, and unexpected...

This book spans years... that was one of the surprising things, really... is how much time passes in a few short chapter during the desert segment...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I'm just starting the desert segment. Long span is OK, I do not mind.

But you are right - foreshadowing is crude (view spoiler). Some things are heralded early.

message 25: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think it would be a bigger surprise if the crude foreshadowing bore no fruit... then people would be clamoring about dropped plot threads, tho...

Brian | 1207 comments TBH this book isn’t captivating me like book 1 did. Seems like this is a really long romance novel so far. I’m still liking it bet definitely not as much as book 1.

message 27: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian wrote: "TBH this book isn’t captivating me like book 1 did. Seems like this is a really long romance novel so far. I’m still liking it bet definitely not as much as book 1."

I'd say, this book is about Kevin's Midkemian ideas rubbing off on Mara... without the romance, he wouldn't be around to do the rubbing... (little bold font for the dirty-minded around here :)

Graeme Rodaughan Lots of rubbing going on there

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I think it would be a bigger surprise if the crude foreshadowing bore no fruit... then people would be clamoring about dropped plot threads, tho..."

The whole thing was a huge letdown for me. I am mightily disappointed with everything, romance included.

Brian | 1207 comments 50% through now and losing interest quick!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm finally going to start tonight. Will start going through comments tomorrow.

Brian | 1207 comments Finished. First half 2 Stars, Last half 4 stars. Mara was her badass self as usual.

message 33: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I finished last week and really liked it. A bit heavy on the romance but I enjoyed getting some different perspectives.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm behind. I'm about 20% in and I'm happy that (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan I really enjoyed this book, and in my experience, the third book lifts it up a notch or two and caps of the series.

message 36: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena I’m about halfway, it’s so awesome to see that Milamber Moment again!

Graeme Rodaughan Yeah - but from another POV... It's great.

message 38: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena I’m at 70% of heart pounding excitement and I’ve just about decided to forgive Kevin for bugging me. He’s rubbed me wrong from day one.

Graeme Rodaughan Ohhh, big moments coming your way.

message 40: by Lena (last edited Feb 27, 2019 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena I have about four hours left and I’m really disappointed
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena 90% in.
(view spoiler)
And that has crossed my You F*cking B*tch line.
There is over an hour left and I have no desire to continue.
I’ll skip the next book and rejoin the series read in April.

message 43: by Lena (last edited Feb 27, 2019 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena I liked this review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
He makes a good point, what was the point of creating Tsurani culture if every five minutes Kevin pops his head up saying Midkemia is better.

Graeme Rodaughan Lena wrote: "He makes a good point, what was the point of creating Tsurani culture if every five minutes Kevin pops his head up saying Midkemia is better...."

That made me laugh.