Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of the Empire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Daughter of the Empire [Jan 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jun 19, 2018 09:40PM) (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Jan 1st.

Link to previous BR: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 18077 comments Mod
2019 already?

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Iain wrote: "2019 already?"

Wheel of Time is also already planned through 2019. Crazy.

message 4: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Iain wrote: "2019 already?"

Wheel of Time is also already planned through 2019. Crazy."

Well... if we're counting long series with slow progression, Malazan is planned through late 2020...

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

This book is actually on my radar as a shorter series entry to Janny Wurts... that has audiobooks available...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Perhaps

Narilka | 3384 comments I'm in. This series has been in my TBR forever.

Brian | 1211 comments I’m ready!! On my kindle ready for the 1st!! Looks like a good series. Been in my TBR que forever.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
Love this so much. Count me as a maybe for a reread. :)

Brian | 1211 comments It’s tough waiting til the 1st to start. I have no books going right now. Feel NAKED! Might have to read a few Novellas til I can start this.

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Looking forward to this. I thought the Riftwar Saga started out strong and then got weaker in the last 2 books but from everything I hear I’m expecting this one to be better.

Brian | 1211 comments It’s midnight and I can finally start this!!!! Happy New Years!!!!

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena I’ll be starting in a day or two.

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I’m about 2 hours/10% in and enjoying it. It’s a lot of world-building so far but I’m finding it really interesting. We got a peak at their world in Riftwar but now get to see it from the “enemies” perspective.

message 15: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3604 comments Mod
Enjoy. This is one of my favourite trilogies.

Brian | 1211 comments Pretty good so far. A little slow in some spots but overall I’m interested in seeing what shapes out in book 2 and 3.

message 17: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill wrote: "I’m about 2 hours/10% in and enjoying it. It’s a lot of world-building so far but I’m finding it really interesting. We got a peak at their world in Riftwar but now get to see it from the “enemies”..."

I'm liking it, as well... my hopes were high from the outset, after reading the blurb... the setup/difficulties remind me of The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7) by Anne Bishop Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8) by Anne Bishop , 2 of me and Laura's favorite Black Jewel books, and I think she loved this book/trilogy, too, so...

Narilka | 3384 comments I'll be starting this weekend.

Brian | 1211 comments Finished! What a great start to the series. Can’t wait for book 2.

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved this book... it's basically the book I was looking for after reading the 2 books I linked above a few years ago... it's a type of plot that's almost impossible to search for, tho... or at least I couldn't figure out a good way...

I just wish we'd gotten a bit more details about some things, like the sentient bug-hive creatures...

I'm kinda surprised (view spoiler)

I liked the tighter focus in this series, compared to the first cycle... I can't wait to continue, either... I dunno if I'll be able to wait 2 months to finish the entire trilogy... I wish more of Janny Wurts' books were on audio, but she knows that already :)

Definite 5 stars from me...

message 21: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Finished yesterday and really enjoyed it.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill wrote: " ..."

Yea... (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I just wish we'd gotten a bit more details about some things, like the sentient bug-hive creatures......"

Books 2 and 3 expand on the Cho-ja.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Was planning on starting tomorrow (I'm delayed in everything). Just looked at some website reviews and am confused. Is this the first in a long series, or are there other books that should be read before this one (like how Realm of the Elderlings has multiple series)?

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Diana, 3 books. It can be read as a stand-alone three book series, but has more context if the Magician (books 1 & 2) by Feist is also read.

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Was planning on starting tomorrow (I'm delayed in everything). Just looked at some website reviews and am confused. Is this the first in a long series, or are there other books that should be read ..."

Oh good, I’m not the only one!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Graeme wrote: "Hi Diana, 3 books. It can be read as a stand-alone three book series, but has more context if the Magician (books 1 & 2) by Feist is also read."

So I should start with those 2 books first?

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Was planning on starting tomorrow (I'm delayed in everything). Just looked at some website reviews and am confused. Is this the first in a long series, or are there other books that should be read ..."

Magician Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1) by Raymond E. Feist Magician Master (The Riftwar Saga #2) by Raymond E. Feist Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3) by Raymond E. Feist A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4) by Raymond E. Feist

^^Those books are the first series of books in this world, and we read them from September to December... but like I told Siobhan earlier today in my review, I think this series is safe to read without reading those first, and I'm loving this series more...

This series takes place on the Tsuranuanni world, and explores their culture & politics much more than the first series, which is told from the Kelawan world perspective... this series also overlaps the timeline of the first series, so there are some crossover characters, but people who've read both series, or read this series first themselves, say there isn't much to worry about spoiler-wise (based on the Q&A answers on the book page)...

AFTER this series, there are a ton more series... there are about 30 books in the mega-series... the Riftwar Saga, the Empire trilogy, Krondor's Sons, Serpentwar Saga, Riftwar Legacy, Legends of the Riftwar, Conclave of Shadows, Darkwar Saga, Demonwar Saga, Chaoswar Saga...

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
If you ever plan to read Riftwar, I would recommend reading magician apprentice and magician master first... there is a spoiler in this series for magician master. Love these a lot more though, so if you only read one....

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm probably going to read all. I might read this one with you guys, and then switch to finish the other series before continuing to book 2 of this one.

Brian | 1211 comments I might join ya if I can finish A few I’m working on.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm about half way. It's def a slow burn kind of book. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 20% in. Mara is a very clever woman who thinks outside the box and catty-corner to tradition.

message 34: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 26% in. That was shrewdly done Mara but I have a deep retching fear of Buntokapi. Hopefully I’m wrong and this series has some romance in it too. I’m picturing Chris Pratt in his plumper days as Bunto.

Frank | 711 comments Just completed, really loved this book.
Great characters and setting, wonderful dialogue.
Loved the political machinations, reminded me of Game of Thrones, but written much earlier.

message 36: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 37% in. The Cho-ja gave me fascinated! I think the little purple queen sounded beautiful too.

And I find my gut churning over Buntokapi. I should probably trust Mara more...

message 37: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 45%. Well, this is awful. I feel sick.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Finished. I really like it but the pacing was a big off for me. I waxed and waned between couldn't put it down moments and being bored. Maybe it was just my mood. But overall really enjoyed it. Solid 4 stars.

Graeme Rodaughan Lena wrote: "45%. Well, this is awful. I feel sick."

Mara's plight at this point is emotional stuff. This series will evoke a wide range of emotions. Powerful writing.

Narilka | 3384 comments I'm finally starting this tonight. Better late than never :D

Narilka | 3384 comments I did start. It's just been one of those weeks were I fall asleep after reading a couple pages because works been intense. I'm somewhere in CH 2 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3384 comments Lena wrote: "20% in. Mara is a very clever woman who thinks outside the box and catty-corner to tradition."

This. Loved so much (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3384 comments I'm just over half way (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3384 comments Through Ch 10 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Narilka wrote: "Lena wrote: "20% in..."

I love these kinds of books... I mentioned as much, above :)

message 46: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Narilka wrote: "I'm just over half way [spoilers removed]"

Agreed

message 47: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Narilka wrote: "Through Ch 10 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Narilka wrote: "Through Ch 10 [spoilers removed]"

That's when I really knew that I liked her lol

Narilka | 3384 comments @Iain Yeah it was bittersweet. I’m glad he had that epiphany before the end.

@Diana I’m noticing the pacing issues you mentioned. All the political maneuvering takes time to set up.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Now that I'm reading The Magician, I think the pacing issues are just something the author needs to work on in general. They're much worse in The Magician (imo). We'll see how it goes in the next book.

« previous 1