Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
This topic is about A Darkness At Sethanon
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Darkness at Sethanon [Dec 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Dec 1st.

message 3: by Graeme (last edited Nov 29, 2018 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan Me too.

message 4: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments I will get there. I have fallen behind I still have 2.5 hours left on audio of Silverthorn.

message 5: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In

Bill | 2150 comments I started yesterday. About 60% in and feel like the story is finally getting going.

Andorion (ruineleint) Started. That is a very ominous very Wheel of Timey prologue

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Planning to start later today.

Andorion (ruineleint) 10 chapters in.

So, is anyone else getting a little tired of Jimmy tagging along? Honestly, I prefer the Martin pov and would have really liked a Laurie PoV.

(view spoiler)

Interested to see where Bug's little excursion is going to end up.

message 10: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Arkadeb wrote: "10 chapters in.

So, is anyone else getting a little tired of Jimmy tagging along? Honestly, I prefer the Martin pov and would have really liked a Laurie PoV.

[spoilers removed]

Interested to se..."

I've only read the first 5 chapters so far and in the beginning I was happy it focused so much on Jimmy but after a while it got a bit tedious. The chapters focusing on Pug and Martin were more interesting.

message 11: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 17894 comments Mod
For some reason, these are books I don't feel a driving need to start, but once I get around to them they're enjoyable and keep me listening... I dunno what it is...

message 12: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Just started. I’ll get a good jump in tomorrow.

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Bea wrote: "Chapter 6
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena On Chapter Five:
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Just got to Chapter Seven: (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Just starting now.

Andorion (ruineleint) Lena wrote: "Just got to Chapter Seven: [spoilers removed]"

Dubious deaths are kind of a staple in 80s-90s fantasy. Probably another echo of Tolkien.

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena They die all the time on Supernatural. Fooey.

message 20: by Lena (last edited Dec 06, 2018 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena I’m on Chapter 13, I love how fast these stories are moving.
Another death: difficult, respectable, real. Better.
I’m liking Martin’s choice of bedmate/potential wife except for the horror that she’s probably illiterate.
The politics of Armengar seem close to a Utopian village (view spoiler)

message 21: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Deep in Chapter 16. Not surprised a race that throes around words like Father-Husband and Daughter-Wife has no idea what the word MAD means.

Graeme Rodaughan Nighthawks again. Those dastardly villains...

Graeme Rodaughan Cool, Lena, I think you'll love the empire books.

Graeme Rodaughan Lena wrote: "On Chapter Five:
[spoilers removed]"

Just hit this section but at the end of Chapter 3. I'm reading the 1993 paperback edition.

Graeme Rodaughan Lena wrote: "They die all the time on Supernatural. Fooey."

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Graeme wrote: "Lena wrote: "They die all the time on Supernatural. Fooey."

[spoilers removed]"

Can you imagine the thousand conspiracy theories that would launch? The doubt in authority? Long term this felt like cutting your nose to spite your face.

message 28: by Graeme (last edited Dec 08, 2018 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan That's a good point, I hadn't considered it.

It's kinda like, "Yoohoo everyone, I'm baaack!"

"Who the hell are you?"

"I'm the prince."

"No you're not! The prince is dead. You're an imposter!"

"No, seriously, I was just faking, it was a clever plan... - hang on a second why have you all got pitchforks and burning torches???"

"Kill him. Kill the false prince!"

and so on.

message 29: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Yup. And then the rumors about his kids parentage... you look more like Anita’s horse riding instructor than the real Arutha.

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I powered through this the other day... I just wasn't feeling this book as much as the other ones, for some reason... your discourse on all the problems with faking your death are funny...

I'll definitely be continuing with Empire tho...

On some level, I think I'm used to fantasy series dragging on for 15 books, and I was surprised they were able to deal with the threat of Murmandamus so quickly... (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Nearly finished this.

message 32: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anyone else think (view spoiler)

message 33: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Anyone else think Pug is a bit overpowered?... there's like 25-30 books in this series, and we're only on book 3-4... and he just rewound time to the Big Bang... figured out how to use the Little M..."

Good point. Maybe he loses them for awhile like Macros.

Graeme Rodaughan Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Anyone else think Pug is a bit overpowered?... there's like 25-30 books in this series, and we're only on book 3-4... and he just rewound time to the Big Bang... figured out how to use the Little M..."

The time power was specific to the city of forever island. Not able to be done elsewhere.

message 35: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Graeme wrote: "..."

Yea, I know... (view spoiler)

message 36: by Graeme (last edited Dec 13, 2018 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan I find that Pug's powers settle down, and he has to make do with what he's got. There does seem to be some pretty serious threats that show up.

Feist runs a multi-level conflict where there are powers at Pugs level that contend with each other. Power's above Pug such as the Gods doing their thing, and lower level characters that have to rely on wit, skill and teamwork (Arutha, Jimmy, etc) to survive.

It all works out in a balanced way.