Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
This topic is about Silverthorn
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Silverthorn [Nov 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Nov 1st.

Andorion (ruineleint) In for this

Bill | 2150 comments I’m in

Graeme Rodaughan I'll be in this too.

I'll run this along side SE Bonehunters, and JKR The Order of the Phoenix.

I should still have time left over for breathing.

message 5: by Graeme (last edited Oct 31, 2018 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan In the first couple of scenes, there's a line describing a city, where "Brave pennants flew from the rooftops..."

Does anyone else find the term 'brave,' used to describe a pennant kinda flowery?

It's not like the pennants are standing in a line facing down a hoard of goblins...

Graeme Rodaughan Finding the start a little soppy - glad to see Jimmy the Hand make an appearance.

Graeme Rodaughan 12% in. I love the character of Jimmy the Hand. That kids got charisma.

It's been a long time since I last read this book, and I'm finding the writing a little flowery - it could be crisper.

Bill | 2150 comments Graeme wrote: "In the first couple of scenes, there's a line describing a city, where "Brave pennants flew from the rooftops..."

Does anyone else find the term 'brave,' used to describe a pennant kinda flowery?
..."

Maybe it was a really windy day.

There was so much recap in the first few chapters and not a word on Pug. It was pretty sloppy. Jimmy is definitely the highlight so far.

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Bill, good point, where's Pug?

message 10: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Just finished Magician. Join you in a day or two!

Graeme Rodaughan Cool.

Loriidae | 305 comments At 44% (Chapter Nine)
I agree it felt quite disjointed to begin with. I remarked to my son, that it felt like I was reading three standalones set in the same world. That there wasn't much of a series arc. His reply - "Give it time Mum, you'll see!"

It has picked up with (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Loriidae. Those events are the key to kicking this book off.

message 14: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Just started. This is adorably romantic.

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 18088 comments Mod
The first half of this book really made me question whether Pug was the MC of this "trilogy"... good thing Jimmy the Hand is such a great replacement... I'd also forgetten the blurb of the book until (view spoiler)

Milamber: (view spoiler)

The Enemy: (view spoiler)

Only a couple chapters left...

message 16: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena I’m on chapter 12. I like how one adventure turns into another and another. I did not like the whole Sleeping Beauty thing, better pathos to keep her awake and struggling to live.

message 17: by Lena (last edited Nov 06, 2018 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena So they just met Gamina, who is seven. Immediately it is remarked by all the men that she is going to be hot someday. I think Feist did this with Anita too in book one. It’s creepy.

Graeme Rodaughan I had to think for a bit to remember who Gamina is. I'm not at that point yet.

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Just got to Chapter 16.
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Nov 06, 2018 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena wrote: "Just got to Chapter 16.
[spoilers removed]"

I felt like (view spoiler)

And for your previous comment... I must have skimmed right over that...

Andorion (ruineleint) Starting late.

How much of Magician do I need to remember for this? Because I just read the Prologue and had no clue what was going on.

message 22: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "Starting late.

How much of Magician do I need to remember for this? Because I just read the Prologue and had no clue what was going on."

Macross or whoever, forced a confrontation at the peace talks so that Pug would shut the rift between worlds so The Enemy couldn't find these worlds and destroy them...

Jimmy the Hand is the little thief child that helped Arutha and the singer escape the city in Magician, with the help of his guild of thieves...

Those are the 2 main points, I think...

Andorion (ruineleint) I kind of remember the first point but am totally blank on the second

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Nov 06, 2018 10:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "I kind of remember the first point but am totally blank on the second"

Remember when Arutha needed to escape the town, and he was led to a thieves hideout, where he met Anita, who was putting on a brave mask and offering the thieves a ton of money to ferret her out of the city?... Arutha and company tag along and they escape and head off somewhere (and fall in love)... Laurel and Pug run into the same thieves crew returning from Tsurani-Land...

It's funny... my descriptions are hardly the full story... maybe Lena can be more help... she just finished Magician: Master much more recently...

Or the Midkemia wiki:

http://midkemia.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_...
http://midkemia.wikia.com/wiki/Arutha...

Andorion (ruineleint) Those Wiki links helped a lot! Thanks Iain.

Thing is I read Magician as the single consolidated book. I am not entirely if that means it was abridged or not.

message 26: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Nov 06, 2018 11:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "Those Wiki links helped a lot! Thanks Iain.

Thing is I read Magician as the single consolidated book. I am not entirely if that means it was abridged or not."

Nah... I think it was broken in half for reprinting... they added a bit of edited content to the new version, but nothing that changes the outcome of the story... that's what Feist said in the Foreword, and Janny Wurts said when I made a misinformed comment in one of the previous threads...

Andorion (ruineleint) 2 chapters so far.

Mainly preliminaries, but clearly there's stuff going on in the background.

(view spoiler) Am I missing a reference?

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "2 chapters so far.

Mainly preliminaries, but clearly there's stuff going on in the background.

[spoilers removed] Am I missing a reference?"

They were briefly mentioned in Magician, but you're not missing much, I don't think...

message 29: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Dark Brothers are Elven cousins. One of the four kinds of elves.

Finished!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I’ll be there for the next book too!

Andorion (ruineleint) 13 chapters done

So far its been pretty good, Lyam is nice straightman to act as foil to the surrounding nuttyness.

My one complaint so far is that to Feist, the Upright Man and the "Righteous Underworld" is a plot device to get his heroes the information they need, rather than being a proper entity on its own.

Graeme Rodaughan There's nothing I dislike more than (view spoiler)

It might be time to nuke the site from orbit.

Graeme Rodaughan ch7 complete.

(view spoiler)

Loriidae | 305 comments I am at Chapter 13. Listened to a couple of chapters tonight. I liked the fight scene at the Abbey.

message 34: by Graeme (last edited Nov 10, 2018 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan Loriidae wrote: "I am at Chapter 13. Listened to a couple of chapters tonight. I liked the fight scene at the Abbey."

I'm at the same point. Loved it too.