Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
This topic is about Magician
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Magician: Master [Oct 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Oct 1st.

Bill | 2150 comments Starting today. The ending of book 1 was so abrupt it was hard not to jump straight into this one.

message 3: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 17960 comments Mod
Somehow we persevered :)

message 4: by Loriidae (last edited Sep 30, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments I will be a little later 3 reads for Oct 1st! I am looking forward to finding out Pug's fate and I am worried about the armour's influence on Thomas, I don't see that ending well.

message 5: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Fantastic. This is a great read.

message 6: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I will be a little later 3 reads for Oct 1st! I am looking forward to finding out Pug's fate and I am worried about the armour's influence on Thomas, I don't see that ending well."

Only 3?... I have 5... This, Harry Potter, Riyria Chronicles #2, Invisible Library #3 (I forgot to read #2, so that as well). and Six-Gun Tarot...

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments I will be here too. Loved the first book 😊

Bill | 2150 comments I’m on chapter 5 and like how Feist has covered all the different threads so far. Really helped recap where the first book left off.

Pug has by far the most interesting story so far. Really interested to see where it is heading. Didn’t realize there would be so many time jumps in this series.

message 9: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'll start this later today.

message 10: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1964 comments I'll jump in (probably tomorrow) if you don't mind; here in the UK Magician was released as one book, so I'll be reading the whole thing in one gulp.

message 11: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Read the first two chapters:
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments completely agree Bea (view spoiler)

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Think it was chapter 8 but may have been 9 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lena (last edited Oct 02, 2018 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Just finished Chapter Two:
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Lena wrote: "Just finished Chapter Two: "

(view spoiler)

I finished. (view spoiler)

message 16: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I WANT to get to this, but keep getting sidetracked with my MANY MANY October 1st BRs... I'm crazy...

This is what I get for forgetting about some of them last month and pushing to catch up...

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I WANT to get to this, but keep getting sidetracked with my MANY MANY October 1st BRs... I'm crazy...

This is what I get for forgetting about some of them last month and pushing to catch up..."

I had one of my BRs for the 1st end last month so I’m down to two. Even that stresses me. I don’t know how you do so many buddy reads.

message 18: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I WANT to get to this, but keep getting sidetracked with my MANY MANY October 1st BRs... I'm crazy...

This is what I get for forgetting about some of them last month and push..."

I basically just accept it's going to take the first 2 weeks of each month to catch up... this kinda surprised me, since I'd been winding down on BRs...

But I signed up for the Invisible Library in August, forgot about it in September... read Riyria Chronicles in September because Riyria, and picked up Riftwar because it's been on my TBR and I was light on BRs... I signed up for Harry Potter months ago because of nostalgia and the first books are short... and I jumped into a random Six-Gun Tarot BR on the 30th, even tho I was still in the middle of Revenant Gun, a side-read...

message 19: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 10:
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Bill wrote: "Think it was chapter 8 but may have been 9 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Graeme (last edited Oct 03, 2018 10:25AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan @Bill, that's an interesting assessment. I found myself swept along by the narrative and didn't notice a drop in character intimacy but on reflection you might have something there.

message 22: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan @Bea, (view spoiler)

message 23: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Graeme wrote: "@Bea, [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Graeme wrote: "@Bill, that's an interesting assessment. I found myself swept along by the narrative and didn't notice a drop in character intimacy but on reflection you might have something there."

I found myself swept up in the narrative too but in looking back I notice more and more issues that I had with it.

message 24: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Bill wrote: "Graeme wrote: "@Bea, [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]Graeme wrote: "@Bill, that's an interesting assessment. I found myself swept along by the narrative and didn't notice a drop in character..."

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished. I'm not sure if I'll rate it 3 or 4 stars yet.

message 26: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Chapter Two (Escape) (view spoiler)

Through chapter 4 (Training) (view spoiler)

And while I understand both Pug and Tomas have has to mature, I was irritated by the time skips.

message 27: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "I’m on chapter 5 and like how Feist has covered all the different threads so far. Really helped recap where the first book left off.

Pug has by far the most interesting story so far. Really inter..."

(view spoiler)

I liked how upbeat this whole book was, despite the stakes...

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea wrote: "Read the first two chapters:..."

Yea... I agree (view spoiler)

message 29: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "Think it was chapter 8 but may have been 9 [spoilers removed]"

I think this is part of my upbeat comment... (view spoiler)

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena wrote: "Chapter 2..."

When I first read this comment, (view spoiler)

I agree about your other comment... think I'm starting to sound like a broken record, tho, when I attribute it to the semi-lite tone of the story...

message 31: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaitarn wrote: "I'll jump in (probably tomorrow) if you don't mind; here in the UK Magician was released as one book, so I'll be reading the whole thing in one gulp."

I just listened to the audiobook until chapter 26, when the first book ended, and waited for the 2nd BR to continue... but kinda forgot some things doing that way... I listened to the "Author's Preffered Addition" that added in another ~50 pages of character interactions that were edited out the first time, and don't change the story much, just flesh out the world

message 32: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "Lena wrote: "Just finished Chapter Two: "

[spoilers removed]

I finished. [spoilers removed]"

Agree... (view spoiler)

message 33: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 10..."

*Iain, the bobble-head, agrees some more* (view spoiler)

message 34: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea wrote: "Bill wrote: "Think it was chapter 8 but may have been 9 [spoilers removed]"

Omg yes, that was handled so poorly!
I was like wtf he cannot have just died offscreen like that! Makes me questions why..."

Basically, I think it comes down to Magician: Apprentice being his first book... I think the foreword to the 2nd edition says there were no guarantees Magician: Master would even get published, at the time...

message 35: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "Graeme wrote: "@Bea, [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]Graeme wrote: "@Bill, that's an interesting assessment. I found myself swept along by the narrative and didn't notice a drop in character..."

Exactly... the story flows well... and was the right tone for my reading preferences at the moment...

message 36: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea wrote: "Finished. I'm not sure if I'll rate it 3 or 4 stars yet."

I'm thinking I'll rate Apprentice a high 4 stars, and Master a low 4 stars...

message 37: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Bea wrote: "Bill wrote: "Think it was chapter 8 but may have been 9 [spoilers removed]"

I was like wtf he cannot have just died offscreen like that! Makes me q..."

Actually, no - Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master were published originally as one volume, just Magician, in hardbound. It was split and re-titled for the paperback. The books not guaranteed to be published were subsequent two volumes of the trilogy, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon. (little bit of history).

message 38: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janny wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Bea wrote: "Bill wrote: "Think it was chapter 8 but may have been 9 [spoilers removed]"

I was like wtf he cannot have just died offscreen..."

Ah... my bad... thanks for the clarification...

message 39: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Page 91 into chapter three:

“...Once I make the pledge, once I place an above me, I lose the power to rule.”

What BS is this? A true Queen needs no King. Just make him a consort or nothing at all. Just because she chooses a man she looses all power? It’s INFURIATING!

message 40: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena wrote: "Page 91 into chapter three:

“...Once I make the pledge, once I place an above me, I lose the power to rule.”

What BS is this? A true Queen needs no King. Just make him a consort or nothing at a..."

If I remember correctly, (view spoiler)

message 41: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena The horror...

message 42: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan She's responding to (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena All good reasons but it was presented abruptly, turning a Queen into a slave of her lust.

Finished Chapter Four: Two Worlds, double the available power. Now what will he do with it?

message 44: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena wrote: "All good reasons but it was presented abruptly, turning a Queen into a slave of her lust.

Finished Chapter Four: Two Worlds, double the available power. Now what will he do with it?"

Some people consider the whole (view spoiler)

message 45: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Author WF. Interesting theory Iain, could be true.

message 46: by Lena (last edited Oct 24, 2018 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Feistian version of Crash into Me by Dave Matthews. Hey, better than the underage sewer gang bang in IT as far as boyhood fantasies go.

message 47: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

He actually draws attention to it at the end of the book, when he points out that (view spoiler)

message 48: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan A fairytale - happily ever after ending.

message 49: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Just finished Chapter Seven. I was surprised (view spoiler) But it is war, this gives it reality.
I’m enjoying Anita’s storyline.

message 50: by Lena (last edited Oct 31, 2018 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena I’m on Chapter 10, and it’s clear Feist had some inspiration from Orson Welles when writing Roderic:
https://youtu.be/olPAsssli3E

“I am always amused when watching my little subjects hurrying about the city, like so many ants. I often wonder what they think, living out there simple little lives.” He turned to look at the two emissaries. “You know, I could order any one of them put to death. Just pick one out, but is very bad any, should I choose.

« previous 1