Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Magician
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Magician: Apprentice [Sept 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Sept 1st.

message 2: by Lena (last edited Aug 21, 2018 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena In. (thank you Choko!)

Bill | 2150 comments In

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In

Daniel | 1536 comments Spot

Phillip Rigley | 1 comments Amazing series

Daniel | 1536 comments Indeed it is. This will be my fifth+ reread. First on GR.

Choko (chokog) | 7703 comments Spot!

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I started early because I have 3 reads scheduled for the 1st and ended up finishing today. In case it wasn’t apparent with the speed I read it but I loved it. Really looking forward to the discussions.

Opening thoughts (view spoiler)

I kept cracking up listening to the audiobook because at one point when talking about certain cave formations the word gloryhole repeatedly gets used. Guess the meaning of that word has changed in the last 30 years.

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7556 comments Mod
lol Bill. Definitely a good language/time gap haha.

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 17945 comments Mod
I'll be joining... missed out last year...

idiffer | 765 comments Welllll, 100 pages in and nothing major has happened, except one thing.
The princess is (view spoiler) at first, and the later change is not believable.

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments idiffer wrote: "Welllll, 100 pages in and nothing major has happened, except one thing.
The princess is [spoilers removed] at first, and the later change is not believable."

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Started at work last night... in chapter 7 or 8 already...

Princess: (view spoiler)

Pug -- chapter 5 theories: (view spoiler)

I've been comparing this story to Curse of the Mistwraith alot... the 7 chapters I read of that book anyway... probably because I know Janny Wurts co-writes the 2nd series in this mega-series...

idiffer | 765 comments I think I'm dropping this, since it seems to be going the "war with whatever" route, and I just don't care.

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Iain wrote: "Started at work last night... in chapter 7 or 8 already...

Princess: [spoilers removed]

Pug -- chapter 5 theories: [spoilers removed]

I've been comparing this story to Curse of the Mistwraith al..."

Pug (view spoiler)

message 18: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan @Iain, that's an interesting idea, which I have never considered before. I always assumed that Pug (view spoiler)

message 19: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Read the first 4 chapters. So far it's been one of those books that are not outstandingly good but somehow make you feel nostalgic and I actually quite like it so far.

Bill wrote: "idiffer wrote: "Welllll, 100 pages in and nothing major has happened, except one thing.
The princess is [spoilers removed] at first, and the later change is not believable."

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea wrote: "Read the first 4 chapters. So far it's been one of those books that are not outstandingly good but somehow make you feel nostalgic and I actually quite like it so far.

Bill wrote: "idiffer wrote: ..."

I think that's why I'm liking it... it's a low-stress read... something I don't have to worry too much about while listening at work or gaming...

message 21: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I wish I could join but starting a new series at this point is not advisable.

message 22: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mayim wrote: "I wish I could join but starting a new series at this point is not advisable."

This is my only new series right now, I think... otherwise I'm continuing things I already started, and planning on catching up on some things the rest of the year...

message 23: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Iain wrote: "Bea wrote: "Read the first 4 chapters. So far it's been one of those books that are not outstandingly good but somehow make you feel nostalgic and I actually quite like it so far.

Bill wrote: "idi..."

Yes, exactly.

It's pretty apparent that this is an older fantasy series that still took quite a bit of inspiration from Tolkien which makes me smile a bit because I haven't read such a series in a while.

Daniel | 1536 comments Bea wrote: "Iain wrote: "Bea wrote: "Read the first 4 chapters. So far it's been one of those books that are not outstandingly good but somehow make you feel nostalgic and I actually quite like it so far.

Bil..."

Agree it is epic fantasy but still an easy read. Very entertaining with likable characters.

message 25: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Everyone’s so far in! It will be a couple days before I leap in.

message 26: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Sep 04, 2018 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm on chapter 12/13 now... if there's a problem with easy reads, it's that sometimes they're as easy to put down for awhile as they are to read... didn't get much reading done at home on Sunday morning or at work Sunday night... or monday for that matter... and now my reading will be at the whims of my local courthouse... I don't have jury duty at 8am tomorrow, but I need to check twice daily to find out if I'm needed for the following morning/afternoon session...

The King: (view spoiler)

message 27: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I also really enjoyed the classic feel to this book.

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I feel like the book ended just as you got your first taste of the enemy POV... I also wasn't expecting it, because I'm listening to the revised edition that pairs Apprentice and Master into a single book...

message 29: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Yeah the ending was super abrupt. I’m having a hard time not jumping into Master because of it.

message 30: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Read the first two chapters and I'm pleased with how nice is the world. Quite different from the fantasy books written lately.

The king dressed in black to honor his widowhood.
(the maids now associate black fabric with rape)
The golden-haired prince smiled kindly.
(he wore the same smile while gutting pregnant cats and playing with the fetuses)
The princess smiled benevolently as she gazed upon the crowd.
(looking for anyone prettier than her that she'd have to have killed)
The king excused the young boy from service.
(and sent his little brother war instead)

Basically, I'm grateful for the break of not having to check for evil and deceit in each character. It's also why I'm gravitating to Solarpunk.

But then again, it's only been two chapters.

message 31: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Lena, you're pretty safe with Feist's world.

message 32: by C.H. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.H. Baum | 6 comments Feist is pretty tame, but also has great characters. I have loved all his series.

Daniel | 1536 comments Agree some of the characters are great. But I found the plotting and world building to be a little two dimensional.

message 34: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Daniel wrote: "Agree some of the characters are great. But I found the plotting and world building to be a little two dimensional."

Do you think that is a sign of Feist’s skills in those departments or a sign of the series ageing a bit?

Daniel | 1536 comments Bill wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Agree some of the characters are great. But I found the plotting and world building to be a little two dimensional."

Do you think that is a sign of Feist’s skills in those departmen..."

I think it is probably both. I would have never noticed had I not joined Goodreads and started reading more critically. Still a decent read, and will see how I feel as the series progresses.

message 36: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Just started Chapter Five. I felt so proud of Pug (view spoiler)
I feel like this is the kind of fantasy story I’ve always heard about but never read. Everything’s so dark these days. I’m happy in this land of honorable people.

Daniel | 1536 comments @Lena I think that would be a perfect name for Feist’s work-Feel Good Fantasy....

message 38: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Yes!

message 39: by Graeme (last edited Sep 07, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Bill wrote: "Do you think that is a sign of Feist’s skills in those departments or a sign of the series ageing a bit? ..."

I think Feist's world building really gets going as the series progresses. There is a lot of deep past elements that ultimately come through to the fore during the series.

Plus within the Midkemian society there are substantial stories that are set outside the Kingdom of the Isles, locations like the Empire of Kesh, Queg, some other locations to the east, and west get a big look in and become significant.

Some of the stories deal significantly with other races such as the elves, and some very non-human creatures (although the characters themselves have many human qualities making them relatable).

There are also major expressions of other worlds/dimensions that impact the whole series, he has a built up metaphysical/cosmological view of the universe which seems unique, and internally self-consistent.

message 40: by Graeme (last edited Sep 09, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Lena wrote: "Just started Chapter Five. I felt so proud of Pug [spoilers removed]
I feel like this is the kind of fantasy story I’ve always heard about but never read. Everything’s so dark these days. I’m happ..."

Feist excels at drawing good people faced with dire situations and rising to the occasion.

If I have a dissatisfaction with his writing (and he's one of my favorite authors in the 'awesome,' category) is how he draws evil characters. His bad guys tend to 2-dimensionality, and he often characterizes evil as equivalent to a type of madness. This is consistent with his overall metaphysics, but it doesn't jell for me.

message 41: by Loriidae (last edited Sep 07, 2018 06:37PM) (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Finally starting as I had three books to begin Sept 1st and this one came in third. I am quite looking forward to reading as Feist is my son's favourite fantasy author. Hope it lives up to my expectations. The good thing is that 25 books from the saga live in the bedroom next door. He has promised to read with me when I catch up to him!

message 42: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Loriidae wrote: "Finally starting as I had three books to begin Sept 1st and this one came in third. I am quite looking forward to reading as Feist is my son's favourite fantasy author. Hope it lives up to my expec..."

Fantastic.

message 43: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Just finished Chapter 7: Teenagers being teenagers.
I’m enjoyed meeting the beautiful elves and look forward to the upcoming journey.
I worry about what’s going on with the dwarves.

Daniel | 1536 comments Tis a long journey with many twists and turns...enjoy the ride!

message 45: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena They treat their horses poorly.

message 46: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Lena wrote: "They treat their horses poorly."

Now that you mention it, yes they basically pushed them until they all died. I noticed the rapid dwindling of horses as well while reading

I know next to nothing about horses and riding but I read somewhere that many authors overestimate how long a horse can carry a rider because their stamina actually isn't that great and that horses are often treated in an unrealistic way in books.
Do you know more about that, Lena?

message 47: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Can’t say I do. What really hurt was (view spoiler)

message 48: by Lena (last edited Sep 10, 2018 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Finished Chapter 10. I didn’t know Thomas would be getting a POV and enhanced involvement (view spoiler)
I would be cheered to spend a winter with a different culture like the dwarves. It’s good for a warrior to have little Klingon friends.

Will we ever meet Marcos the Magician?

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes Lena you will meet Macros anon...

message 50: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Anon this book?
Anon next book?
Anon next series?

« previous 1