Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Library at Mount Char
This topic is about The Library at Mount Char
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Library at Mount Char [July 7, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
BR for The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins for July 7th.

message 2: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Great, thank you! :)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I've been meaning to read this, but I'm also swamped...sigh, decisions decisions.

Beste | 1163 comments I might re-read this. Good one definitely.

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
This was terrific. At the start it's definitely WTF but it grows on you and is so completely different. Enjoy.

Hacen | 883 comments I’m in

message 7: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments According to the reviews I've read it's supposed to be super weird but I think that's actually what draws me towards it.
Speaking of weird fantasy, I really liked Mieville's Perdido Street Station so I hope I will like this one as well.

Andorion (ruineleint) I'll be rereading this simply for the reactions. This is a total WTF book.

Hacen | 883 comments Might start this tonight...

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Arkadeb wrote: "I'll be rereading this simply for the reactions. This is a total WTF book."

I totally agree. Total mind fark.

Andorion (ruineleint) Ah the opening paragraph. So much shock and WTF just to start the book -

"Carolyn, blood-drenched and barefoot, walked alone down the two-lane stretch of blacktop that the Americans called Highway 78. Most of the librarians, Carolyn included, had come to think of this road as the Path of Tacos, so-called in honor of a Mexican joint they snuck out to sometimes. The guacamole, she remembered, is really good. Her stomach rumbled. Oak leaves, reddish-orange and delightfully crunchy, crackled underfoot as she walked. Her breath puffed white in the predawn air. The obsidian knife she had used to murder Detective Miner lay nestled in the small of her back, sharp and secret."

Blood drenched? Tacos? Librarians? Wait.....stabbed a detective??

Graeme Rodaughan All will be revealed in due course. I loved this book and gave it five stars. It's a towering work of the imagination., although I did find it confusing at points in the first half, and it requires careful reading.

Andorion (ruineleint) Graeme wrote: "All will be revealed in due course. I loved this book and gave it five stars. It's a towering work of the imagination., although I did find it confusing at points in the first half, and it requires..."

I know! Rereading the book :D

I just found it hilarious how abruptly and shockingly it starts off.

Graeme Rodaughan @Arkadeb, which other author drops their readers smack into the middle of things?

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Starting now.

Andorion (ruineleint) Graeme wrote: "@Arkadeb, which other author drops their readers smack into the middle of things?"

Erikson of course. But not even Malazan starts off with a paragraph like that.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments II done, so 2% in and what the fuck is my main thought right now.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments A WTF book? How can I pass this up? And with no holds on it at the library... Hope I can make time and join in.

Graeme Rodaughan Well worth it Laura.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Finished the first chapter. What did I just read? This is very intriguing and I got the rest of Sunday to myself.

Andorion (ruineleint) To rereaders -

I love how (view spoiler)

message 22: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Just finished chapter 3. This is weird but so interesting! :)
(view spoiler)
I hope we will get more information on this world because I really want to know more about it :)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I was mostly wondering if this is and this is just a, I’m reading the book for the first time and am done with 3 chapters hypothesis thought I had (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Arkadeb wrote: "Erikson of course. But not even Malazan starts off with a paragraph like that.."

Erikson indeed.

It's a great opening paragaph and very appropriate to the book.

Graeme Rodaughan In a world in which you can resurrect the dead, the morality of killing changes.

Graeme Rodaughan I love the character names for the various 'powers,' of the world.

For example, Nobununga, aka "The Thunder of the East,"

Graeme Rodaughan Bea wrote: "I hope we will get more information on this world because I really want to know more about it :) .."

The information does keep coming, but can be easy to mis-interpret the first time you read it. When I first read this book, it wasn't until I was half way through that I had my 'light-bulb,' moment.

Perhaps more specifically, (view spoiler)

message 28: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Graeme wrote: "Bea wrote: "I hope we will get more information on this world because I really want to know more about it :) .."

The information does keep coming, but can be easy to mis-interpret the first time y..."

Yeah, I still don't wholly understand what's going on, but it's getting better. I actually like that he doesn't spoonfeed everything right away but let's the reader figure things out through the course of he book.

I'm in the middle of chapter 6 now and omg this book is so great!

(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Bea, glad you're enjoying it, makes me smile too.

I was confused about (view spoiler)

I'd have to do a re-read to remember where that all clarified itself.

Andorion (ruineleint) One of the keys to understanding this book is figuring out the timeline. Took me a long time on my first read.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Done with part I. I love the prose. This book is exceptionally well written.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Spoiler for chapter 7-10 (view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Done. I couldn’t stop! Can’t wait to discuss. Now to look at the spoilers.

Andorion (ruineleint) @Olivia, I have read this before, so feel free to post!

Graeme Rodaughan Same here.

Andorion (ruineleint) One of my absolute favourite parts of this book are the Dresden and Naga PoVs. So very well written.

message 37: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Arkadeb wrote: "One of the keys to understanding this book is figuring out the timeline. Took me a long time on my first read."

I'm still confused at chapter 10, is that normal? My brain clearly is not ready for this book lol
(view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments It only really gets explained towards the end.

message 39: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Ah, ok :)

Andorion (ruineleint) Done with my reread. It is just as good, if not better on the second read.

Yeah, a lot of issues are explained towards the end, though there are small hints in the earlier chapters.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Spoilers up to the end. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished! I absolutely loved it!

message 43: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments starting very late~

idiffer | 765 comments Read this alot earlier, glad this got picked for a BR. I gave it 5 stars at the end but I had alot of problems with it.
Review:

(view spoiler)