Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > October Biography

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Time to nominate a biography, autobiography, or memoir for October.

No guidelines other than the usual AA/Diaspora theme.

One nomination per person. Thread will close on August 8.

message 2: by Londa (last edited Aug 01, 2014 11:48AM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I know everyone and their Momma has already read it but I haven't so...

I am nominating

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
The Autobiography of Malcolm X

message 3: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (last edited Aug 01, 2014 02:33PM) (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2445 comments Mod
Warriors Don't Cry: The Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High by Melba Pattillo Beals Warriors Don't Cry The Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High by Melba Pattillo Beals

In 1957, well before Martin Luther King’s "I Have a Dream" speech, Melba Pattillo Beals and eight other teenagers became iconic symbols for the Civil Rights Movement and the dismantling of Jim Crow in the American South as they integrated Little Rock’s Central High School in the wake of the landmark 1954 Supreme Court ruling, Brown v. Board of Education.

Throughout her harrowing ordeal, Melba was taunted by her schoolmates and their parents, threatened by a lynch mob's rope, attacked with lighted sticks of dynamite, and injured by acid sprayed in her eyes. But through it all, she acted with dignity and courage, and refused to back down.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Londa wrote: "I know everyone and their Momma has already read it but I haven't so...

I am nominating

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
The Autobiography of Malcolm X"

I haven't either. xD

message 5: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Aug 04, 2014 12:31PM) (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
I can't choose between The True Story of a White Boy who Discovered He Was Black by Gregory Howard Williams or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I can't decide!!! Has any of you read it yet? I will choose one before it's time to put the polls up lol

Oh and Londa I am ashamed to say I have never read the Autobiography of Malcom X but don't tell anyone lol.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments kisha wrote: "I can't choose between The True Story of a White Boy who Discovered He Was Black by Gregory Howard Williams or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I ..."

I have read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and highly recommend it.
I think this is a must read.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments I am nominating:

Lost Prophet The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin by John D'Emilio

Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin by John D'Emilio

One of the most important figures of the American civil rights movement, Bayard Rustin taught Martin Luther King Jr. the methods of Gandhi, spearheaded the 1963 March on Washington, and helped bring the struggle of African Americans to the forefront of a nation's consciousness. But despite his incontrovertibly integral role in the movement, the openly gay Rustin is not the household name that many of his activist contemporaries are. In exploring history's Lost Prophet, acclaimed historian John D'Emilio explains why Rustin's influence was minimized by his peers and why his brilliant strategies were not followed, or were followed by those he never meant to help.

message 8: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I've read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is important to read, but it wasn't a favorite of mine. The author's method of telling the story was not as strong as the story itself. Even with that, I would still recommend it.

message 9: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Aug 05, 2014 02:47PM) (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Ok I checked the ratings and many of you have already read it so I will not select The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. (Though I will read it on my own time). I'm gonna nominate Life on the Color Line: The Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black by author Gregory Howard Williams

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments kisha wrote: "Ok I checked the ratings and many of you have already read it so I will not select The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. (Though I will read it on my own time). I'm gonna nominate [book:Life on th..."

I think I've heard of that one actually.

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (goodreadscomuser_robyn1951) | 26 comments I am nominating Miss Ann in Harlem:the White Women of the Black Renaissance. Life on the Color Line is excellent.

message 12: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Thanks Robyn. We will add Miss Anne in Harlem: The White Women of the Black Renaissance to the poll.

message 13: by Londa (new)

message 14: by Londa (last edited Aug 18, 2014 01:01PM) (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.