Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > October Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Time to nominate a historical fiction for October. Our theme is paranormal historical fiction (AA/diaspora). Ghosts, Vampires, Ghouls and Magic will rule the month!

One nomination per member please.

Thread will close on August 8.

message 2: by Londa (last edited Aug 01, 2014 11:55AM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I am nominating

Joplin's Ghost by Tananarive Due

When Phoenix Smalls was ten, she nearly died at her parents' jazz club when she was crushed by a turn-of-the-century piano. Now twenty-four, Phoenix is launching a career as an R & B singer. She's living out her dreams and seems destined for fame and fortune. But a chance visit to a historical site in St. Louis ignites a series of bizarre, erotic encounters with a spirit who may be the King of Ragtime, Scott Joplin.

message 3: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2449 comments Mod
My Soul to Keep by T. Due My Soul to Keep by T. Due

When Jessica marries David, he is everything she wants in a family man: brilliant, attentive, ever youthful. Yet she still feels something about him is just out of reach. Soon, as people close to Jessica begin to meet violent, mysterious deaths, David makes an unimaginable confession: More than 400 years ago, he and other members of an Ethiopian sect traded their humanity so they would never die, a secret he must protect at any cost. Now, his immortal brethren have decided David must return and leave his family in Miami. Instead, David vows to invoke a forbidden ritual to keep Jessica and his daughter with him forever. Harrowing, engrossing and skillfully rendered, My Soul to Keep traps Jessica between the desperation of immortals who want to rob her of her life and a husband who wants to rob her of her soul. With deft plotting and an unforgettable climax, this tour de force reminiscent of early Anne Rice will win Due a new legion of fans.

message 4: by Londa (last edited Aug 05, 2014 11:52AM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Three more days...Would like to have at least 4 books for the poll.

If anyone needs any help thinking of nominations...the books below are also good examples. ;)

I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem
Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau
Dark Genesis
Beloved (I think we may have already done this one as a group read though)
L'Immortalite: Madame Lalaurie and the Voodoo Queen
The Conjure Woman
The Salt Roads

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Londa wrote: "I am nominating

When Phoenix Smalls was ten, she nearly died at her parents' jazz club when she was ..."

I really enjoyed this book and thought it was one of her better books.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Lulu wrote: "My Soul to Keep by T. Due My Soul to Keep by T. Due

When Jessica marries David, he is everything she wants in a family man: brilliant, attentive, ever..."

I enjoyed this book also.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Londa wrote: "Three more days...Would like to have at least 4 books for the poll.

If anyone needs any help thinking of nominations...the books below are also good examples. ;)

I, Tituba, Black Witch of..."</i>

There is also:
[book:Mama Day

Wild Seed
Black No More

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I'll nominate Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau, thanks Londa!

message 9: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
I love that book Anastasia and I'm down for a reread. I'll second that

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments kisha wrote: "I love that book Anastasia and I'm down for a reread. I'll second that"

It looks interesting!

message 11: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments One more day to make nominations....
For those who might still want to choose, here is a list of those suggested above and a few more I added.

Already nominated
Joplin's Ghost Ghosts
My Soul to Keep Immortals
Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau Voodoo

Other HF Paranormals
I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem Witches / Healers
Dark Genesis Vampires
L'Immortalite: Madame Lalaurie and the Voodoo Queen Voodoo
The Conjure Woman Supernatural Tales
The Salt Roads Immortals
Mama Day Magic
Wild Seed Immortals
Black No More Sci-fi
Gathering of Waters Animism / Ghosts
Phantom Nights Ghosts
Land of Love and Drowning Magic

message 12: by Londa (new)

message 13: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Voting is done. We will read

My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1) by Tananarive Due
My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.