Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin Read anything good lately?
Read anything horrible lately?
Share your reviews!

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin I finally read the classic Black Hole. My review

Also enjoyed The Four Immigrants Manga: A Japanese Experience in San Francisco, 1904-1924, an almost-lost early graphic novel from 1927.

I very much enjoyed Hostage, but didn't write a review since the other reviews cover it all.

And finally, The Furnace: A Graphic Novel.

message 3: by Koen (new)

Koen if you're up for it, try the Crossed series ;) Crossed, Vol. 1 to start with of course.. I went through this series like a hot knife through butter...
But beware: not for the weak stomached people :p

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin Koen wrote: "if you're up for it, try the Crossed series ..."

That's definitely not for my to-read list !

message 5: by Donovan (new)

Donovan I’m reading Sacred Creatures from Image. Huge 300+ paperback. Kinda like the show Supernatural, angel demon drama and violence. Okay so far, I’m about 1/3 through. I just reread Southern Bastards Volumes 1 and 2, dark and brilliant and sad. That’s about it.

message 6: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments I just read Moonstruck, Volume One: Magic to Brew and didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I found it confusing, overall, like I was missing pieces.

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin Andréa wrote: "I just read Moonstruck, Volume One: Magic to Brew and didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I found it confusing, overall, like I was missing pieces."

While it did take me a few chapters to start understanding it, I loved that one. Partly because of the really nice colors. And I loaned it to a friend who is always looking for more lesbian stories, and she loved it, too.

I want to continue the story, and am tempted to pick up the single-issue #6. But I really prefer reading collected editions rather than single issues.

Since this is Pride Month, I'll also mention that I loved Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles. The story mixes the Hanna-Barbara characters into the history that was going on in America at the time. Poor Mr. Puss has to go up against the house un-american activities committee.

message 8: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments Ed wrote: "While it did take me a few chapters to start understanding it, I loved that one. Partly because of the really nice colors. And I loaned it to a friend who is always looking for more lesbian stories, and she loved it, too.

I want to continue the story, and am tempted to pick up the single-issue #6. But I really prefer reading collected editions rather than single issues."

I did enjoy the colors and artwork! And I agree that it's always nice to find more lesbian stories (and other less typical stories).

I'll probably continue the series as well (I also prefer collected editions) mostly to see if things start to make more sense.

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin Here's my review for Justin Green's Binky Brown Sampler, an early example of a warts-and-all autobiography.

And while I haven't read it, I'll mention here that Sabrina is the first book on the list for the Man Booker Prize. While I agree that comics are just as deserving of the big prizes, I still feel like it should be in a different category.

message 10: by Koen (new)

Koen Oeh... this was amazing as well !! : Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods

Great story, great vibe.. amazing character building... Go for it !!

message 11: by Russell (new)

Russell | 68 comments Big Kids by Michael DeForge
I just read this one and fell in love with this artist. They really captured something special...that feeling of things and people around us not being quite what they appear to be and some realize it, some never do. I was enraptured.

Also this!
Snapdragon by Kat Leyh
This one was highly relatable while at the same time being pure magic.

message 12: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments Ed wrote: "And while I haven't read it, I'll mention here that Sabrina is the first book on the list for the Man Booker Prize. While I agree that comics are just as deserving of the big prizes, I still feel like it should be in a different category."

Ed, I missed your comment back when you originally posted, but that's interesting about Sabrina! I haven't read it nor do I know much about that prize, so I don't have an opinion about what category it deserves to be in, but I do like seeing GNs get recognized for their merit.

message 13: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments Koen wrote: "Oeh... this was amazing as well !! : Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods

Great story, great vibe.. amazing character building... Go for it !!"

Again, somehow missed your comment the first time! I have this one on my TBR (I think I even have a signed copy from the author), but haven't actually read it yet.

Did you see the show? If so, do you feel it's faithful to the book?

message 14: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments Russell wrote: "Big Kids by Michael DeForge
I just read this one and fell in love with this artist. They really captured something special...that feeling of things and people around us not being quite what they ..."

I don't think I've read anything by Michael DeForge yet; I'll have to check him out. And Snapdragon is yet another that's on my TBR but that I haven't gotten to yet. I'm glad you liked it!

message 15: by Russell (new)

Russell | 68 comments I have decided to just go back and read through all the ones that have been posted for the GN clubs past. I will also be adding my thoughts and comments on them. My pleasant way of procrastinating from what I SHOULD be doing :)

message 16: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments Russell wrote: "I have decided to just go back and read through all the ones that have been posted for the GN clubs past. I will also be adding my thoughts and comments on them. My pleasant way of procrastinating ..."

Russell, I'm still doing the same! I haven't read all the books in the right months, but when I do get around to them, I try to go back to the relevant discussion pages and post my thoughts.

What I love about digital book clubs is that the digital, always-available nature makes it easy to participate on your schedule, at any time, and to go back to previous books to add to their discussions.

message 17: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 895 comments Russell wrote: "I have decided to just go back and read through all the ones that have been posted for the GN clubs past. I will also be adding my thoughts and comments on them. My pleasant way of procrastinating ..."

Russell, I'm still doing the same! I haven't read all the books in the right months, but when I do get around to them, I try to go back to the relevant discussion pages and post my thoughts.

What I love about digital book clubs is that the digital, always-available nature makes it easy to participate on your schedule, at any time, and to go back to previous books to add to their discussions.