What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Book About Young Japanese protagonist who goes to fantasy world after mother tries to kill both of them by letting gas run throughout the house. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Invictine (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:31PM) (new)

Invictine | 3 comments Young Adult Book. Follows younger Japanese protagonist through losing his father and being unable to do anything about his depressed mother. After his mother tries to kill both him and her by letting gas run through the house (Don't remember how) he finds an old, abandoned house that transports him to another world. This world has animal/half animal people and follows him as he adventures through this land. Ending has something to do with helping a guy trapped in the iceberg biome to either stop doing something or come with them. Main characters also include a lizard man and and either a cat woman or a cat like woman.

I read this book around 2011-2013- though I think it came out anywhere from 2003-2008. It was anywhere from 700-1,000 pages long. It had a green cover that may have had vegetation and a dragon or lizard on it. I found it at the Cottonwood Library in Arizona, United States in the young adults section- since I no longer live there I haven't been able to find it. I remember it being a particularly fun read with a bittersweet ending of when he comes back to the human world to turn off the gas and call the police to rescue him and his mother. He either ends up in foster care or living with his dad.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 19, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Invictine--your book sounds interesting. However, if you don't do something about your title it will never be found. Many of our group only read threads in their chosen genres, and if you don't have something in the title that lets them know you are looking for a YA book about a Japanese young man and that it involves fantasy elements and is a bug crusher (aka very large) they won't check out your thread. To change your title, click on the Edit key on the right side of the title--IN THE COMPUTER VERSION ONLY. If you use the app you can't change the title but one of your friendly (hi there) mods will be happy to change it for you. In fact, we will probably change it anyway if you haven't responded in a couple of hours.

Other than that--you did a great job with the who/what/when/where of your posting.

message 3: by Invictine (new)

Invictine | 3 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Invictine--your book sounds interesting. However, if you don't do something about your title it will never be found. Many of our group only read threads in their chosen genres, and if you don't hav..."
Thank you Ann aka Iftcan! I am new to the site and didn't think that through very well. Thank you again!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe seems to match your description.

Google search -- site:www.goodreads.com "young adult" fantasy japanese "his mother" kill "gas"

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Invictine, was your book "Brave Story" or are you still looking?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Brave Story (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Miyuki Miyabe (other topics)