Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara (taraash) | 25 comments This was a little bit of a dissapointing read, I was really hoping to like this book more
than I did. It was still overall a solid story though. In this graphic novel you follow
three different storylines that, by the end of the novel, weave together harmoniously. A big theme throughout the book was identity and the desire to fit in,especially as a kid. One of the stories in the book was about The Monkey King, which I had never heard before, and I think that was the story I was most interested in reading. The ending felt very short and I wish there was a little more because the ending felt lackluster to me. Just as the story was starting to really grab my attention it was over. The ending also kind of hits you over the head with its message in case you missed. And while it is a positive message of self acceptance, the delivery at the end left something to be desired.

The illustrations were so cute, I loved them. What I didn't love so much was the humor. I chuckled a few times, but a lo of the jokes I didn't find funny and were a little immiture. I defiantly think someone yonger would really enjoy this, it just wasn't for me.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This is a bummer! The premise sounds interesting and it is great that you loved the illustrations, but I totally get being detracted by the graphic novel targeting a bit different age group. Not that I cannot appreciate things where I am not the exact target audience, but I do find that humor is one of those things that is hard to write in a way that appeals to a 12 year old boy and a 35 year old woman (me).