Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
This topic is about Wicked and the Wallflower
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > MacLean, Sarah-- Wicked and the Wallflower informal buddy read starts June 23, 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:10PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31634 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Wicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLean.

width="300"/>

Synopsis
When Wicked Comes Calling...
When a mysterious stranger finds his way into her bedchamber and offers his help in landing a duke, Lady Felicity Faircloth agrees—on one condition. She's seen enough of the world to believe in passion, and won't accept a marriage without it.

The Wallflower Makes a Dangerous Bargain...

Bastard son of a duke and king of London's dark streets, Devil has spent a lifetime wielding power and seizing opportunity, and the spinster wallflower is everything he needs to exact a revenge years in the making. All he must do is turn the plain little mouse into an irresistible temptress, set his trap, and destroy his enemy.

For the Promise of Passion...

But there's nothing plain about Felicity Faircloth, who quickly decides she'd rather have Devil than another. Soon, Devil's carefully laid plans are in chaos, and he must choose between everything he's ever wanted...and the only thing he's ever desired

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I've got this one, so I'll join in probably early next week. Team Luna Lovegood.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Joining for Team Draco!

Karishma (karishmanewar) Checking in! Super excited. Team Tonks.

Anja Vuković | 106 comments I'll be participating as well it's been a while since I've read any of the author's books.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Getting read to start. What do we all think about the cover? I'm not a fan of the pink number or the half smirk on the heroine's face.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'm not a fan of the cover. It's mainly the smirk, though.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Chapters 1-4

(view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Chapters 5-17

(view spoiler)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’m starting today. Quidditch ate my life yesterday

Karishma (karishmanewar) I didn't get notifications for this one sorry.
I have just started today.

I'm not a fan of the cover at all either. It's just overall unappealing as are the initial pages of the book. I sincerely hope it dosen't turn out to be disappointing.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I agree, Karishma! Just getting started but not loving this one so far.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Ok, liking it better now. Took me a minute.

I have to work late tonight but I'll be back to discuss tomorrow.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I've finished it. By the end it all came together for me and I liked it quite a lot. I've always preferred a lad from the rough end of town ie The Seven Dials, Covet Garden, Whitechapel in Victorian London than a Duke in my historical romance and Devil fitted the bill quite nicely.

Once I got the overall premise straight in my mind it flowed quite a lot better. And (view spoiler)

I'll keep reading this series. 4 stars.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’m just up to chapter 5, sneaking in an update while working.

(view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Michelle wrote: "I’m just up to chapter 5, sneaking in an update while working.

[spoilers removed]"

Haha, read on... (view spoiler)

message 19: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Vuković | 106 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Chapters 1-4

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Chapters 1-7
(view spoiler)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I didn't realize there was a previous book with Felicity. Off to download that, too.

I wonder (view spoiler)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "I didn't realize there was a previous book with Felicity. Off to download that, too.

I wonder [spoilers removed]"

You should read the entire series before reading that book. The first book has some portions which link to The day of the duchess.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'll grab the series! Thanks! :)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Back at it! I’m loving this book now.

Chapter 14, at the Rookery? When she picks the lock? I absolutely adore Felicity right now. And I love her banter with Devil. He’s met his match, and Whit knows it even if he doesn’t yet.

message 24: by Karishma (last edited Jun 28, 2018 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm done with this one.

It took me so long because I pretty much had to force myself to read it. And other books were calling to me.

It was ok but nothing memorable and not something I want to reread.

Have you read her Love By Numbers Series yet?

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I really liked it. I loved Felicity.

I think I've only read the first book in the Love by Numbers series. Want to read book 2 together?

Karishma (karishmanewar) No sorry. I have already read it twice before and it's a very good book but not something I'm feeling like reading right now.

I loved the first book in the series.

Have you read The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie or Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase?

I'm feeling like reading those kind of books which keep you smiling and laughing constantly!

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I haven't read either of those authors yet. I'll have to go look them up!

Annalisa | 1375 comments I was finally able to get a copy of this. My library was slow in getting it. Im not sure if any one will come back and for a quick chat or not. This will be a quick read for me.

I started last night and I'm through chapter ten.

(view spoiler)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’ll be around! I loved Felicity but hadn’t read the other series yet.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I think Devil’s background makes how he reacts make sense. I’ll be curious to see how you like his character as the book goes on.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Keep reading. Annalisa, you'll get answers.

Annalisa | 1375 comments I finished this last night. I've read The Day of the Duchess and many of MacLean's other books. I don't think I've finished the Love by Numbers yet. What I really like is that the world created in her novels is all connected.

Like most everyone else I did not like the cover of this novel. I get it, but still didn't like it. I'm not sure why Felicity likes pink so much and I don't remember her in pink in the The Day of the Duchess.

Devil (view spoiler)

Garden Bench (view spoiler)

Ending(view spoiler)

I ended up enjoying the book and I will read the next in the series it just didn't work as well for me. I guess I was also hoping for a little more of the Dove from The Day of the Duchess. I wanted Calhoun's story. I'm still hoping we will get it eventually.

Annalisa | 1375 comments Michelle wrote: "I’ll be around! I loved Felicity but hadn’t read the other series yet."

I really like Felicity a lot and she has been in a couple of MacLean's other books. Her lock picking skills as well as the fact that isn't scared to state what she thinks was refreshing.

I think my favorite series from Sarah MacLean is The Rules of Scoundrels series. It introduced a lot of the setting and characters that I've seen throughout MacLean's novels. The Fallen Angel is also a great setting.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Annalisa, I completely agree about the ending and it seeming like an overreaction. Maybe it will make more sense in the next book?

Annalisa | 1375 comments Michelle wrote: "Annalisa, I completely agree about the ending and it seeming like an overreaction. Maybe it will make more sense in the next book?"

I really hope so, I'm wondering if it might wait until Ewan's story though. The teaser for Whit's book looks like it might not be about the family so much as about the business and who is stealing their cargo.