Audiobooks discussion

Non-Audible Sources > Any Audiobook - Free from Libro.fm

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 6 comments To celebrate Audiobook Month, Libro.fm is offering a free membership for 1 month, that allows you to download any title in their catalog of over 100,000 titles! Here's the link:

http://libro.fm/referral?rf_code=lfm5...

If you haven't heard of Libro.fm, they are very similar to Audible. They offer a wide selection of downloadable audiobooks. A membership is $14,99 a month and gets you one audiobook each month. What I like about Libro.fm is that they support independent book stores (yay!) and the format for their audiobooks is mp3. So, yes! It's DRM free. They also have a great app with fantastic features (speed up, go forward, go back, etc.) and amazing audio quality -- better than Overdrive or Audible. You can listen on multiple devices making it super easy to share a book within a household. You can cancel your membership anytime, so you can try them for free without risk. The offer is only good through June.

http://libro.fm/referral?rf_code=lfm5...

message 2: by Peg (new)

Peg | 18 comments Julie wrote: "To celebrate Audiobook Month, Libro.fm is offering a free membership for 1 month, that allows you to download any title in their catalog of over 100,000 titles! Here's the link:

http://libro.fm/re..."

I think Libro always offers the first month of membership for free...

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 6 comments Peg wrote: "Julie wrote: "To celebrate Audiobook Month, Libro.fm is offering a free membership for 1 month, that allows you to download any title in their catalog of over 100,000 titles! Here's the link:

http..."

Thanks for commenting, Peg. I didn't realize that. Have you used Libro for audiobooks? I met with the co-founder at BEA this year and I love their mission to support Independent Bookstores. And such a fabaulous selection! I'm listening to The Amber Spyglass and absolutely loving it!

message 4: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 445 comments Sounds nice, but non US people: if you search for books and check availibility for your country there's almost nothing left.

For now I'll stick with Audible.

message 5: by Peg (new)

Peg | 18 comments Julie wrote: "Peg wrote: "Julie wrote: "To celebrate Audiobook Month, Libro.fm is offering a free membership for 1 month, that allows you to download any title in their catalog of over 100,000 titles! Here's the..."

I have used them and appreciate the same things you do - their support of independent booksellers and lack of drm. I'm not a member at the moment as I have a long list of audiobooks that I already purchased and need to listen to.

message 6: by Peg (new)

Peg | 18 comments Specs wrote: "Sounds nice, but non US people: if you search for books and check availibility for your country there's almost nothing left.

For now I'll stick with Audible."

That really is a shame. I like to think but it won't be too many more years until everyone realizes that we're just one big world.

message 7: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1227 comments Do you actually download the books or is it streaming from an app/website? I'm not sure why I'm so resistant to streaming, I guess I want to be sure the book is available even if I don't listen to it for weeks, months, or years.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 6 comments Robin wrote: "Do you actually download the books or is it streaming from an app/website? I'm not sure why I'm so resistant to streaming, I guess I want to be sure the book is available even if I don't listen to ..."

Hi Robin! Good question. You download the books. And you can download it on your computer in mp3 format and then listen to it there or download it on any listening device, or you can download it through an app on your smart phone, using the Libro.fm app. The app is great -- very feature-rich with buttons to move back or forward, play at higher speed, etc., I've listened to roughly 100 books through Libro.fm and really LOVE the service.

message 9: by Paula (last edited Jun 25, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Paula (lalibellule) | 1 comments Robin wrote: "Do you actually download the books or is it streaming from an app/website? I'm not sure why I'm so resistant to streaming, I guess I want to be sure the book is available even if I don't listen to ..."

I'm cheap, I get everything from the Minneapolis library system. If it's on audiobook CD, I'll just upload that into iTunes and transfer it to my device. Otherwise you can download an app called Overdrive for free downloads of many books (many libraries use this but if it's a very popular book, you have to get on a virtual "waiting list" as only a certain number of people are allowed to virtually "check out" the book at a time). Sometimes I still like to be able to transfer the Overdrive books to iTunes if I don't finish them before the 21-days checkout period is over, when they expire. In iTunes I transfer the CD audiobook files to my device and they automatically go to the iBooks app, the new version of which has this annoying issue.

message 10: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1227 comments That's great. I have only fond memories of the Mpls library system and Hennepin County libraries, as that is where my audiobook addiction was born! Books were on cassette then, and the challenge was finding those that weren't abridged - there was an idea that people who listened to audiobooks didn't really like to read and wanted a shorter version! Thank goodness that has changed.

I do have Overdrive and Libby as apps. I have just been too lazy to try them out.