What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Jack and Jill
This topic is about Jack and Jill
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's/YA: 19th century girls who try to improve themselves. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Medlibrarian (last edited Jun 19, 2018 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Medlibrarian | 6 comments A group of girls (I am uncertain of their ages, but thinking like 12?) decide they will try to improve themselves. The one subplot I remember vividly is of a girl who has a little brother. Their widowed father isn't around much and the housekeeper is old and neglectful (although not, IIRC, malicious). The girl tries to clean the house and IIRC, gives her brother a much needed bath and he catches a cold.

The other girls...I can't remember the specifics. I want to say one of them likes material things too much.

I could have sworn this was a Louisa May Alcott novel, but it doesn't match up with any of her other books. Very much in that vein, though.

I got it from the children's section of my public library back in the 1970s and want to say it was illustrated along the lines of the Illustrated Junior Library books, but that might be me conflating this with something else.

Definitely set in the 1800s or possibly very early 1900s and I'm pretty sure it was written from that time period.

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments I think that might be Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott.

message 3: by Medlibrarian (last edited Jun 20, 2018 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Medlibrarian | 6 comments OMG, you’re right. Found it on Project Gutenberg and you are right. It's so funny that I only remembered what is a minor subplot and not the main plot. THANK YOU!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jack and Jill (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louisa May Alcott (other topics)