I Read Comic Books discussion

Your biggest letdown comic

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 642 comments Mod
This is kind of a weird question, but I wanted to throw it out there:

What comic has been your biggest letdown? What comic had you super hyped to read, but wasn't as great as you had hoped?

(We may do a show episode on this in the future...)

message 2: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

For me... it was Black Science. Long time listeners of the show know some/most of the background on this, but nonetheless...

I usually enjoy Rick Remender's writing and Matteo Scalera on art is SO good, but I feel I was swindled with this book. A dimension jumping story with a "Lost In Space" vibe where Scalera's art can show us UNLIMITED possibilities of different worlds and be cool and in your face with science? COUNT ME IN. But what we got was... a family drama? I dropped it after 6 issues.

I've told myself that one day I will go back and read this book. Maybe Mike from back then was wrong. I'm willing to try again... but I feel so burned...

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad | 830 comments Mike wrote: "For me... it was Black Science. Long time listeners of the show know some/most of the background on this, but nonetheless...

I usually enjoy Rick Remender's writing and Matteo Scalera on art is SO..."

Black Science is one of the best series Remender's worked on IMO. Only X-Force or Seven to Eternity are possibly better.

message 4: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 6 comments The one for me that immediately springs to mind is The Wake.

message 5: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Chad wrote: "Mike wrote: "For me... it was Black Science. Long time listeners of the show know some/most of the background on this, but nonetheless...

I usually enjoy Rick Remender's writing and Matteo Scalera..."

Man! Sell me on this. Like I said, i only read the first arc -- what keeps you coming back every month?

message 6: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Joshua wrote: "The one for me that immediately springs to mind is The Wake."

Whoa! What was the 'letdown' for you?

message 7: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 6 comments Mike wrote: "Joshua wrote: "The one for me that immediately springs to mind is The Wake."

Whoa! What was the 'letdown' for you?"

I think it was just expectations. I started out thinking I was getting some old school underwater under pressure survival horror story. Like a comicbook version of Leviathan or the Abyss. Then it does a 180 on me and we're in Waterworld, and though I know the two stories get tied up in the end, I was no longer into it. The art was great though.

message 8: by Chad (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:37PM) (new)

Chad | 830 comments Mike wrote: "Man! Sell me on this. Like I said, i only read the first arc -- what keeps you coming back every month? "

First off, Matteo Scalera and Dean White's art. Every page of each issue looks like it could be a cover from a 70's sci-fi novel. It's absolutely gorgeous.

You're right that the book is a family drama, but one set on crazy worlds with nonstop action. The dad is a huge screwup even though he's a genius. He pretty much burns every relationship he has to the ground. But the book is also about redemption. At a certain point, he decides to get his shit together and start doing the right thing. It's also about how our children can be better than us and learn from our mistakes.

The writing is really tight. You may not think so from the first 6 issues, but Remender has planned out the entire story from beginning to end. It all comes full circle. I'm looking forward to reading this again from start to finish after the last trade comes out to see what I missed the first time around.

message 9: by Chad (new)

Chad | 830 comments Morning Glories. It started off as such a brilliant story. Then 6 or 7 trades in you start to realize Nick Spencer doesn't have a plan for ever finishing this. It has totally spiraled out of his control, there's at least 50 characters to keep track of, and you no longer know what the f*ck is going on. So disappointing. For this and Secret Empire, I'd love to kick him in the ding-ding.

message 10: by kaitlphere (new)

kaitlphere | 237 comments Mod
I am kind of glad to hear Morning Glories doesn't get better. I read the first three or four volumes back-to-back, then just...didn't keep going. I couldn't pin-point why, the story just seemed to be generally fizzling.

message 11: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Lol. I love both Black Science (cause of the family drama) and The Wake (cause the world building and the family story).

I felt that I was most anticipating Irredeemable and Incorruptible by Waid to be disappointing. I felt that it didn't really go deep enough on character motivations and just used basic "abuse and upbringing" clichés to justify character motivations.

I also found the Champions book...also by Waid (I love him I swear but these just suddenly came to mind, his DD run was so good) to he a but naive and choppy. I liked the idea behind it but the first 6 issues were painful.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments For me it was a recent book. all of Justice League during Rebirth
A bit of back story.
I began collecting back in 2012, as this was pretty close to the New 52 Launch i was able to go back and pick up a few series from the beginning. I have the complete run of Justice League from the New 52. Skip ahead to rebirth, i was really looking forward to the Justice League: Rebirth. DC usually will have an amazing team on that book as it is one of their premium books. that all being said the Justice League title for Rebirth was a real let down. I dropped it from my Pull for the first time in YEARS after the first arc. It was very disappointing to not have that title on my pull after years. I tried to read it every time a new volume came out on my library app and they all kept being disappointing.
I am glad the Rebooted the series and we can forget those other 7 Volumes ever happened.

message 13: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Yeah JL Rebirth by Hitch...was a travesty