Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

General > Magnificent Negative Reviews

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 491 comments OK, dish. What are some deliciously negative reviews you've enjoyed?

I confess I feel a little guilty because I get excited when Nadine hates a book, because I love reading her takedowns.

However, THIS is the most epic pan I've seen.

(Linking tip: you can get a direct link to a review by right-clicking the date in the upper right of a review on a book's page, and choosing "Copy Link Address." I also like to use this site to quickly create HTML links.)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 899 comments Unauthorized Cinnamon wrote: "OK, dish. What are some deliciously negative reviews you've enjoyed?

I confess I feel a little guilty because I get excited when Nadine hates a book, because I love reading her takedowns.

However..."

That one is hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I'm glad I opened the spoiler tags (TBH I'm never going to read the book so it doesn't matter). That take down was brutally hilarious!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 553 comments There's this review of 50 Shades of Grey: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

She reviewed the rest of the series too, very funny stuff.

Then there's this review by Patrick Rothfuss (the author) of a Roald Dahl book that made me never want to read anything by Roald Dahl again. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

After reading that review, I did some googling and it turns out Dahl is just kind of a huge bigot on a variety of levels.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 491 comments Jackie wrote: "There's this review of 50 Shades of Grey: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

She reviewed the rest of the series too, very funny stuff. "

Baby carrot! I'm DED. XD

message 6: by Johanne (last edited Jun 19, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Jackie wrote: "There's this review of 50 Shades of Grey: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Then..."

Oh I loved reading that, it´s hilarious, thanks for sharing. And I totally agree on all her points.

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Jackie wrote: "There's this review of 50 Shades of Grey: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I lost it at "they have the emotional maturity of toilet paper" xD

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 404 comments There's this Review of Fallen by Lauren Kate

message 9: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 02, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 7046 comments Mod
Unauthorized Cinnamon wrote: "I confess I feel a little guilty because I get excited when Nadine hates a book, because I love reading her takedowns...."

hahahahaha okay that really made me laugh!!!! and blush a little bit.

That review you linked to was phenomenal! I own the Wool series ebook and I keep meaning to get to it but never do and now I'm wondering if I should just cross it off my list entirely, if this is what that author is like. I also am going to follow that reviewer, because that was an A+ review. (ETA: well I WANT to follow that reviewer, but he/she has their profile set to private. SOB!)

I think my favorite negative review is for A Discovery of Witches

message 10: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

Jackie wrote: "There's this review of 50 Shades of Grey: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Then..."

Oh that's a good one!

But the reason I didn't like 50 Shades (and I DNF'ed it, so I never got to this tampon scene) is that it was just badly written and boring. All this pearl clutching about how "dangerous" and "irresponsible" it is just has me rolling my eyes. Yes, some women do find this shit romantic, but that's not because of this book. Rape culture came first, this book just came along and made some money off of it. Just like when I see people sobbing over how "dangerous" Twilight is - oh please. Girls are not idiots. They KNOW this is silly fantasy.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 553 comments Yeah I think the biggest issue isn't the toxic relationship, which is bad and all, but rather the fact that the book reads like it was written by a virgin. I've only read a couple passages posted online, but they all made me question the age of the author. Like, by all means, write all the smutty sex-filled books you want, but maybe do it once first?

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Jackie wrote: "Like, by all means, write all the smutty sex-filled books you want, but maybe do it once first? "

I'm glad I'd finished my tea before I read this line or there would have been tea all over my keyboard.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 899 comments Jackie wrote: "Yeah I think the biggest issue isn't the toxic relationship, which is bad and all, but rather the fact that the book reads like it was written by a virgin. I've only read a couple passages posted o..."

Haha, I love this. Back when it was everywhere, I had the book recommended to me by so many people that I gave it a go. I stopped after the first sex scene because it was so ridiculously badly written! If you can't think of a way to write about genitalia other than there (always in italics), you probably shouldn't be writing that kind of book!

message 14: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 08, 2018 05:41AM) (new)

Monkiecat wrote: "I admit it... I follow Nadine just to read her hate reviews :D
I don't always agree with her take on a book, but it's always good fun to read"

LOL I didn't realize my takedowns were so interesting!! (we never think of ourselves that way, right?) Sometimes when I am hating a book, the only thing that gets me through it is taking notes for the GR review ... so a lot of those negative reviews I write are just me spewing anger into my notepad app while I'm reading.

Jackie wrote: "Yeah I think the biggest issue isn't the toxic relationship, which is bad and all, but rather the fact that the book reads like it was written by a virgin. I've only read a couple passages posted o..."

tbh, I think I gave up on that book before I got to any actual sex scenes. That bad, huh?

message 15: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Promptly following Nadine for those reviews ;)

message 16: by Nadine in NY (new)

LOL you guys! You'll give me a big ego!

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 491 comments XD

Pressure's on, Nadine! I'm sorry and you're welcome.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Vivliohomme (annevivliohomme) All these rants are amazing LOL! I love it when people passionately love a book, but secretly I love it more when someone passionately hates a book! However, I can't see the review of Patrick Rothfuss and the one that Christine mentions :( Maybe it's because I'm using the app?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 899 comments Nadine wrote: "LOL you guys! You'll give me a big ego!"

I just started reading Tarzan of the Apes and spotted your review there. Now I'm rethinking my choice haha!

message 20: by Nadine in NY (new)

Hahaha oh Tarzan was baaaaaaaad! SO much worse than I expected it to be!

message 21: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (baronessekat) | 112 comments the 50 shades one posted is my favorite. Most of my friends love it when I rant on a book. I could offer links to them if others wanted.

Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tarzan of the Apes (other topics)