Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Books of the Month > BotM Winners for July 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
Winners of July Book of the Month votes were:
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu

Exciting new Mod special read to be announced shortly!

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
I love Pratchett, read pretty much everything he wrote, and while I liked part of this book,I really didn't enjoy the series at all. Maybe it's the Baxter side of it all that failed me, I don't know, I've only read one other book of his.

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I've read both of these, couldn't finish Grace of Kings even though I was so excited for it :(

message 4: by Roger, Knight Radiant (last edited Jun 20, 2018 04:04AM) (new)

Roger | 2031 comments Mod
I'll give The Grace of Kings a shot, I can't ever get into Terry Pratchett unfortunately

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Rinn wrote: "I've read both of these, couldn't finish Grace of Kings even though I was so excited for it :("

Oh no! D : Hopefully this doesn't happen to me.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1324 comments Is there a July/August mod pick yet? I also have read both of these.

Long Earth seems (to me) more Stephen Baxter than Terry Pratchett.

message 7: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 3049 comments Mod
I see that The Long Earth is on sale right now.

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 519 comments Can't say I fancy Long Earth (although I love pTerry).

Might try Grace of Kings - not impressed by the reviews but it is on KU in the UK at the moment, so at least free to try...

Interested to see what the Mod pick is.

I will be reading Sea of Rust soon, even though it didn't win, as I met the author and got a signed copy last month and I haven't yet got round to it (and I'm feeling a bit guilty about that!). If anyone is interested in a buddy read, I'll start a thread.

message 9: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex wrote: "Can't say I fancy Long Earth (although I love pTerry).

Might try Grace of Kings - not impressed by the reviews but it is on KU in the UK at the moment, so at least free to try...

Interested to se..."

I'd be interested -I picked up a signed copy in Forbidden Planet.

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex | 519 comments That's where I got mine! Where you there for the signing? We might have passed each other and not known it!

I'll start a BR topic for it.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex wrote: "Can't say I fancy Long Earth (although I love pTerry).

Interested to se..."

I'd definitely be up for that! At one point during the poll I was hardcore expecting it to win so bought a copy (I'm leaving on holiday soon, so need to get my books in order for July). D:

message 12: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Thought I might finally get a nomination through to be the book of the month with Sea of Rust but pipped to the post again. One day...

I've read both of the winners and thought they were pretty good. The Long Earth in particular was great, although I've still not read any of the sequels. Will try to drop in on the discussions :-)

message 13: by Margo (last edited Jun 20, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

Margo Paul wrote: "I love Pratchett, read pretty much everything he wrote, and while I liked part of this book,I really didn't enjoy the series at all. Maybe it's the Baxter side of it all that failed me, I don't kno..."

I'm going to read the Pratchett as I own it and damned is I'll be put off by Paul :-P

message 14: by Margo (new)

Margo Vinca I really love the sound of Sea of Rust but I bought the Pratchett book ages ago in a deal. I am working on reducing my book backlog so I am only voting books I own - it is really hard :-(

message 15: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Margo wrote: "Vinca I really love the sound of Sea of Rust but I bought the Pratchett book ages ago in a deal. I am working on reducing my book backlog so I am only voting books I own - it is rea..."

I do the same, picked up Sea of Rust really cheaply on the Kindle a while back so already had it :-) Long Earth is a worthy winner though, I think a lot of folks will enjoy it.

message 16: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments Looks like I'll be joining for The Long Earth since it's a Kindle monthly deal right now.

message 17: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex wrote: "That's where I got mine! Where you there for the signing? We might have passed each other and not known it!

I'll start a BR topic for it."

No I missed the signing . I was only in London for a few days last week and saw they had signed copies.

message 18: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (last edited Jun 21, 2018 12:43AM) (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
For UK members, I got the whole long series boxset in The Works for £12.99, bargain!

...or, just checked Amazon and The Works are selling it there, too, for £10 plus £2.80 postage. Amazon link

message 19: by Margo (new)

Margo That is a very good deal Nic!

message 20: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Sorry Margo, didnt mean to pit you off. The Long Earth is one I enjoyed, just not the later ones Lobsang is a great character I think you will enjoy

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo No worries Paul - I was teasing. Never thought I'd come across a book by Sir Terry that you didn't love ;-)

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1324 comments Will there be a new Mod special?

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Haven't read either so I think I will try for both.

message 24: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2031 comments Mod
The Mod special will be Beyond Redemption, a few of the mods have read this and it's really entertaining and a very different environment from your normal fantasy books.

message 25: by Rick (new)

Rick Beyond Redemption is excellent.

Grace of Kings is incredibly well written but quite long and there's an interlude that tripped me up. Need to finish it.