Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Puzzler: 18 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments What’s in a name??
I loved this book and had so many favourite parts I battled to choose one!!! So I chose this scene at dinner because it ends with the fabulous cat making an appearance haha
Xxxx

“Pronoun—” She broke off mid-syllable, frowning. “What do I call you now? Not Pronoun, surely.”

“Hero. Or Title, if you must be more familiar.”

Heavens. Being addressed as Title counted as familiar?

“I’m your wife. Surely that means I’ve earned the privilege of calling you something more friendly. What did they call you when you were younger, before you inherited? You weren’t Hero then.”

“I was addressed by my courtesy title.”

“Which was . . . ?”

“The Title of Random. A title which will become my heir’s. Soon, with any luck. You may as well save it for him.”

She supposed he was right.

“What about your family name?”

“HeroSurname? Never used it.”

Heroine wasn’t inclined to use it, either. Too stuffy, and it didn’t precisely trip off the tongue.

“Your Christian name, then.”

“HeroFirstName. It was my father’s name, and his father’s name before that, and the name of every third gentleman in England, it would seem.”

“It’s my father’s name, too.” She shuddered. “So that’s out. We’ll have to find something else.”

“There is nothing else. There’s Hero, or Title. Choose one.”

Heroine thought on it for a moment. “No, dear husband, I don’t believe I shall.”

He dropped his fork and glowered at her. She smiled. He doesn’t trust anyone, Butler had said. But he respects those who challenge him. If respect was what the Title had to offer, respect was what she must earn. Heroine could put up a challenge. She hoped her husband was up to the task of meeting it. She reached for a nearby bowl.

“Would you like more sauce, sweeting?”

His fingers strangled the stem of his wineglass. She could practically hear the grapes calling for help. She hoped that was a good sign.

“If you don’t cease that nonsense,” he said, “you will regret it.”

“Is that so, my heart?”

He plunked one forearm on the table and turned to face her. Piercing blue eyes, striking scars, and all. “Yes.”

Despite all her intentions to challenge him unabashed, Heroine found herself, inconveniently, just a little bit abashed.

Perhaps she should talk of the weather. She was saved, however, from starting a discussion about the autumn chill.

A flash of silver fur darted from the side of the room. Cat leapt onto the table, sank his teeth into the steamed trout, and absconded with it before either of them could say a word.

“That’s it.” The Title threw his linen napkin on his plate. “Dinner is over.”

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1045 comments Darling excerpt. Can't wait to find out Kitty's name. Oh, and Hero's as well.

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
Fairly sure I have read it but can’t place it.

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
No idea.

message 5: by Daniellegn (new)

Daniellegn | 269 comments I think I just read this recently, I enjoyed it :)

message 6: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Same here, Deb. It sounds familiar to me but I can't figure it out.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Sorry guys! I swore I checked! And don’t see my name! I failed!

message 8: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Rachel wrote: "Sorry guys! I swore I checked! And don’t see my name! I failed!"

No failing! I didn't see your name on my phone either that is why I asked if it was blank. All good ~ mi puzzler es su puzzler :) that's what friends are for - and I must say we have stumped them with this one hahahahah
xxxxx

message 9: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments The book is The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

I loved this book and have re-read it twice. I was going to choose the first meeting of the H/h but I thought that would be a give-away especially as one of my favourite descriptions of the dress she was wearing when they meet was "It looks like unicorn vomit" bahahahhaah
PS the cats name is Breeches and is a wonderful secondary character of sorts!

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
I thought it might be but I couldn’t find the scene

message 11: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Dls wrote: "I thought it might be but I couldn’t find the scene"

It was their first dinner together. It starts with her moving her entire place setting down the huge table to be next to him so that they can have conversation! This book is LOL. I just love it. I am counting down to the Governess Game. it seems so far away haha

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1045 comments But; Unicorn Vomit! An insult to sparkly wedding dresses everywhere!

message 13: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
I knew I recognized the voice! ❤️

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Duchess Deal (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tessa Dare (other topics)