Dorothy Dunnett Book Club discussion

Niccolo Rising > General Discussion.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, all! I miss you guys! I was wondering if you guys would like to set this series up a little bit differently than the Lymond Chronicles. We can have it the same as previous or we can each take turns on chapter summaries. In hindsight, if we decided on chapter summaries, you will give a detail summary of the chapter that you are assigned, and then we can talk about the chapter. You can add more to your summary (history, location, pictures etc) and of course you can have spoilers. We do not have to read at the same pace, but you will have to write your summary accordingly.

My brain is lacking its finesse, so if you have any questions or concerns on the matter please speak up. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! Tell me what you think.

message 2: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments I think that is a great idea, as long as we can get enough active readers taking part. would we have a schedule for reading so we all progress at the same speed or does everyone just post when ready. I am a slow reader and have come a cropper with these in the past

message 3: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments miss you all btw - let's hurry up and read something 😊

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it would be best to post when you are ready. For me at least it would be easier. My reading speed is very slow now. I hate to rush people to read a chapter.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Or we can assign dates for chapter summaries to be completed.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 346 comments Mod
I’m up for whatever you want to try. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

😎 cool. As long as we can get enough people to participate it would work out.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 48 comments Hi everyone! This sounds like a good plan and it would be interesting to have different people’s views on the chapters. I have only read this series once many years ago so I am starting out anew, too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Whoopie! I am sure it will be fun!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/outla...

here are examples of what i was thinking about.

message 11: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments thay are VERY detailed!!

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 48 comments And quite erudite: not sureI’m up to anything more than a chapter summary and an occasional “what do you guys think about ....?” 😏

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 48 comments I also follow these Dunnett threads on the OBC but have never felt brave enough to add anything!

message 14: by Renee (new)

Perhaps a less detailed summary and a few questions to get the conversation started?

Honestly, I’m usually pretty good at coming up with questions but admittedly crap at summaries.

Also, the whole summary/question scenario could be experimental for the first Niccolo, then we can regroup and decide how we go forward.

message 15: by Renee (new)

I’m bookmarking the OBC site, though. ;-)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes, they were super detailed. Lol 😂 just a simple summary and some questions, sounds good to me.

That site did help me out while reading Lymond.

message 17: by SamuraiKitty (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:40AM) (new)

SamuraiKitty | 155 comments Hi All -
I want to participate. I've read this series once before, but unlike the "Lymond Chronicles" I've only read it once, so I'm looking forward to reading it with a group of people. Just to be clear though, we are starting it in September right? And I'm fine with whatever is decided regarding summaries/questions, etc.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, September. :D I am excited to start with all of you!

message 19: by Judith (new)

Judith | 60 comments Renee wrote: "Perhaps a less detailed summary and a few questions to get the conversation started?

Honestly, I’m usually pretty good at coming up with questions but admittedly crap at summaries.

Also, the w..."

What is the OBC?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It is the Outlander Book Club. ☺️

message 21: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments I have just ordered the book - it is going to be so difficult to wait till september!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Lmao I’m sorry!

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith | 60 comments Alex Farrand wrote: "Yes, September. :D I am excited to start with all of you!"

And the chapters are long and complicated--
I think the best format is a chapter summary, with a couple of questions or observations. Frex: easy ones, when and where is the novel set? Who are the 3 young men on the boat, the bathtub? Any idea why they are there? What is their relationship to each other?
These sound simple, but....
When did you get an inkling of catastophe/accident?

Judith

message 24: by Judith (new)

Judith | 60 comments Alex Farrand wrote: "Yes, September. :D I am excited to start with all of you!"

You might be interested to know that (senior moment--can't remember name) has written summaries of several of the early chapters; they are quite complete.

Judith

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Judith wrote: "Alex Farrand wrote: "Yes, September. :D I am excited to start with all of you!"

And the chapters are long and complicated--
I think the best format is a chapter summary, with a couple of question..."

Thank you Judith. :D I appreciate your input, and I like this idea, too.

If you ever find whoever wrote those summaries please share! It was nice having those other threads to look at.

message 26: by Judith (new)

Judith | 60 comments In Reading Dunnett group--Lyn Misselbrook.
Judith

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Woo hoo!! I finally bought the book. 😂

message 28: by Renee (new)

Dorothy Dunnett is no longer available through Audible which makes me really sad!! I’d already bought the whole Lymond series but only the first 2 Nicolo (Of course, the 2 I’ve read already). Which means I can’t get the rest of the series as audiobooks. Boo, Audible! Boo!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

THAT MAKES ME SUPER SAD! what the hell.

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 48 comments Currently being re-recorded and for UK release in November. Probably different dates in the US

message 31: by Renee (new)

That’s great news, Sue!! Now I just have to bide my time. 🤔

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

10 more days until we start! Let’s get pumped up! 😂

message 33: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments 💪💪

message 34: by SamuraiKitty (last edited Aug 25, 2018 11:06PM) (new)

SamuraiKitty | 155 comments OK - Please - Remind me - Are we starting this read September 1st? Am I Right? Or have we already started reading Niccolo Rising? I am asking because I saw someone posting about reading it already - which is absolutely OK! But I want to make SURE that I haven't (swear word inserted) missed something ! (story of my life HA!)

message 35: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments It's the 1st - resist all temptation until then (if you can)

message 36: by SamuraiKitty (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:00AM) (new)

SamuraiKitty | 155 comments Giki -
Thank you :) for clarification! I was - can you guess???!!!freaking out - thinking I'd missed something. I'm knee deep in a book club read - and was thinking I had missed the start of Niccolo Rising! Sooo - again my friend - thank you - and I hope all is well with you and yours - AND - I look forward to this read - and everyone's take on it!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha. Nope the 1st. I need to hurry up and read my library book.

message 38: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments 'clear the decks!'

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

😂

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Only a few more days left! All the chapters are set! I am excited!

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue Marsh | 48 comments Whereas I’m just terrified 😱🤯😂

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Awe, Sue. It will be okay. 😂

message 43: by Renee (new)

Lol. I read through to my first chapter and have been putting off doing the summary for days.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahah. I am still trying to finish The War of the Roses. I have less than 100 pages to go but there are way too many names, and titles. I need a flow chart.

message 45: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments it will be fine - there is no time limit, if we all managed Lymond with our sanity intact then we can do this.....

message 46: by Giki (new)

Giki | 272 comments 😎😎Happy Niccolo Day everyone!!!🎈🎈🎈🎈

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Lmao

message 48: by Renee (new)

Hee hee hee! Huzzah!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Renee wrote: "Hee hee hee! Huzzah!"

Haha. My husband said Huzzah randomly this morning, and I thought of you Renee. Haha. I am glad that you also said it.

message 50: by Renee (new)

That’s awesome! Is he an old soul?

Also, I love the new profile pic! Your daughters look so much like you. (Okay, it’s harder to tell on the tiniest human, but from Jersey she has your eyes.)

« previous 1