Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's May 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments The Punishment She Deserves (Inspector Lynley #20) by Elizabeth George The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George. Read by Simon Vance. 4/5

Very enjoyable complex tale featuring Inspector Thomas Lynley and Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers of Scotland Yard. The two investigate the apparent suicide of a suspect while in police custody. Of course there turns out to be much more at play and George does her usual crackerjack job of developing characters, multiple storylines, and threads into a satisfying conclusion. Expertly read by Simon Vance,

Twisted Prey (Lucas Davenport #28) by John Sandford Twisted Prey by John Sandford. Read by Richard Ferrone. 4.5/5.

Lucas Davenport (Book #28!!!!), now a U.S. Marshall, enters the world of politics, hired by a senator after an attempt on his life. The story connects with an earlier one that took place in the political world, reviving at least one nemesis of Lucas’. Full of the clever dialogue and plotting we’ve come to expect of Sandford. Deftly read by Richard Ferrone, who will always be associated with this series for me.

The Policeman's Daughter by Trudy Nan Boyce The Policeman's Daughter by Trudy Nan Boyce. Read by Allyson Ryan 3.5/5

A prequel to the previous novels featuring Detective Sarah Alt. She began her career as a beat cop in Atlanta’s dangerous hardboiled neighborhood, and we meet many of the good guys and bad guys that influence her life and her career. I found it a little slow, but Boyce is masterful at creating Salt’s interesting backstory and slowly revealing what has shaped her, at the same time that she explores the early days of the important people in her life. Allyson Ryan’s expert narration helps create the atmosphere.

Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. by Susan Cain. Read by Kathe Mazur. 4/5

Susan Cain presents research and entertaining anecdotes on the value of introverts, and dispels the myth that they only bring value when they “cure” themselves of their introversion. Powerful book that was both informative about my own introversion tendencies and also entertaining.

Bum Luck (Jake Lassiter #11) by Paul Levine Bum Luck by Paul Levine. Read by Luke Daniels. 2.5/5

I screwed up. I thought this was a group read. Not sure I would have read it otherwise -- I’ve read others in the Lassiter series and recall liking them well enough, but the Solomon and Lord book I read got on my last nerve. Anyhoo, I was underwhelmed by this one, probably influenced by the above. This one followed Jake as he stews over the acquittal of a client he knows murdered his wife. Too reminiscent of the OJ situation for my taste. Also I’m tiring of certain types of witty repartee, and in this book I got double the fun (Lassiter and Solomon). Didn’t hate this one, it just didn’t make me want to pick up another anytime soon. (edit: in posting this in GR I stumbled upon Shomoret’s review and was reminded that there was a strong subtheme of the disease CTE and the research on the damage it has done to athletes in contact sports, particularly football. It was indeed a powerful component of the book -- not sure why I didn’t even remember it in writing my summary!) Competently read by Luke Daniels.

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1396 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The Punishment She Deserves (Inspector Lynley #20) by Elizabeth GeorgeThe Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George. Read by Simon Vance. 4/5

Very enjoyable complex tale featuring Inspector Thomas Lyn..."

I'm sorry if I influenced you to read a book that you didn't enjoy, Carol. As you know from my review, I thought it was excellent and loved the witty dialogue. It's one of the things I consider one of the best features of the Spenser novels--only I thought Levine's
dialogue was even better than Parker's. I haven't read any Solomon and Lord yet, but I'm considering it.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments The book about introverts sounds really interesting since I would say that's most definitely what I am!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Shomeret wrote: "I'm sorry if I influenced you to read a book that you didn't enjoy, Carol. As you know from my review, I thought it was excellent and loved the witty dialogue. It's one of the things I consider one of the best features of the Spenser novels--only I thought Levine's
dialogue was even better than Parker's. I haven't read any Solomon and Lord yet, but I'm considering it.
..."

No apology necessary, Shomeret! The choice was entirely mine. it's so interesting to see how tastes can differ. My favorite in the witty repartee department is the Sandford novels, and I know how much I love reading those.

message 5: by Ann (last edited Jun 20, 2018 10:39PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Nice month Carol, two of your favorite series and favorite narrators for the Prey book (#28 is crazy) and the Elizabeth George.
It's always a treat to have a new well-loved series book to read!