Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) Things Fall Apart question

DO YOU ENJOY AFRICAN STORIES?

Hello,

Achebe is one of my favorite African authors. I also enjoy books by Chimamanda Adichie (Half of a Yellow Sun). One of the best books I've read by an African author is "The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born" by Ayi kwei Armah. I highly recommend this book.

Ola Awonubi Fantastic author
Nov 19, 2018 02:55PM · flag
U 25x33
Sarah Nkealah We had to study that book in high school. Armah is very gifted with metaphors. They might make you want to puke, but they're very effective at passing ...more
Feb 18, 2019 08:39AM · flag

Read this novel. If you haven't, it's short and beautifully written. The last sentence will REALLY screw you up.

I enjoyed this book. I have enjoyed many books about Africa, set in Africa, in past, but I don’t think many, if any, of them have actually been written by African authors.

Things fall a part is best in a sense as it introduces with colonised perspective. It presented us with a vivid picture of Africa culture and made us to live their happiness, tragedies, customs and laws and to feel their emotions when they face invaders, their very own people opposed them and how misfortune and tragic flaw leads to a death of a very hard working upstanding man. It's a tragedy full of living knowledge and experience

The rythms/cadence of the writing is so different. The sentence construction/size is unconventional. These things stay with you. The truths that emerge are powerful... the facts brutal. All the more effective as they emerge from a writing style which on the face of it is simple but is anything but

I love this book!!

Ok this is officially the best African written Novel

I first read a bunch of Achebe's books in college and kept all of them. They comprised the bulk of a class on Politics and Literature. I later had the opportunity to teach Things Fall Apart in a 12th grade English class, which was outstanding. Probably the most important book we read that year in my opinion. That last paragraph is a killer.

Dear Deirdre. It's not about the culture in South Africa but about the culture in West African Nigeria. The south eastern part of the country

Things Fall Apart is a classic! It was one of the first in the African Writers Series I ever read. It inspired to read Achebe's other works such as No Longer At Ease, A Man Of The People, and Arrow Of God. I also love writers like Cyprian Ekwensi, Elechi Amadi, Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Bole Butake and other greats.

I had never read African stories the first African story I read was Things Fall Apart. After reading this book I learn many new things about Africa culture. I could say I do enjoy African stories because I get to learn more about their culture and that I was wrong about what I think Africa was like.

I love reading African stories. Things Fall Apart being one of the first five that I had read. From then on, all I read now are books by African authors.
I find that I learn a lot more about Africa, especially reading by authors from different African countries, there are so many similarities.
Chinua Achebe intrigued me to read more books of post-colonialism.

I've read this recently and really enjoyed it.
I love Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi's novels. A real insight into the culture in South Africa, indeed the diversity of cultures in South Africa.

The very first African author I was introduced to was Chinua Achebe and the very first African book I read was Things Fall Apart. I was amazed by this book and angry because I did not know what I was missing out of. I loved the techniques the author uses to enhance her writing. I will totally be checking out more of her books.