Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (4/5)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments A really powerful writing about the struggle between body and soul of young Dorian Gray. The story is full of philosophical thoughts. Even though some of the descriptions are a bit lengthy (but most of the classics are like this), it is still a great work.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Oh man, I did not like this book at all! I do completely agree though that the book is a great premise and full of lots of things to think about, that is for sure!

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Nicole R: I think the description and the characters are a bit of the deterring. I've got a high school classmate who hates this book cause she can't stand Dorian Gray.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7472 comments I liked this book a great deal when I read it as a teen, but probably would not like it now. I used to really enjoy Oscar Wilde's plays, etc, too, and am afraid to watch or read them again in case I find I don't like them now.

While I hadn't thought of this book for this tag, it fits very well!

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments I tried reading this book in my early twenties, then again in my thirties...could never finish. Maybe third times a charm....

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I liked this book and also gave it 4 stars.

message 7: by Patty (new)

Patty | 80 comments Nicole! I am happy I'm not the only one who hated this book.

message 8: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Sharon, I read this for this month, too! I was blown away, but also found it disturbing.

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Critterbee: It is disturbing especially when Oscar Wilde has used very flowery languages to depict the rotten nature of the story.

message 10: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've read it at least three times and find something new or different each time.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Ladyslott: That's why I like reading ^^. I discover something new in every stages of my life.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments I read it for my F2F book club back in the 1990s. That was before Shelfari or Goodreads, so my "review" is just one sentence (Oh, how PBT has shaped my behavior!) I rated it 4****