Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Hob Nob > Gregory Peck Makes the Best War Movies

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 08:57PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2491 comments Mod
Look at this
Twelve O'Clock High
The Guns of Navarone
Pork Chop Hill

(Best Air Force movie; best commando movie; one of the best Korean War movies)

Not to mention: 'On the Beach', 'The Purple Plain', and 'MacArthur'

For some reason his stern jaw and scowling demeanor were exactly what we wanted to see in depictions of our fighting men

After Peck, I might only suggest Gable or McQueen or Wayne

You?

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Centerville (hughc) | 17 comments Love the baseball scenes with McQueen in The Great Escape, especially when he's on his way to the cooler and someone tosses him his ball and glove. So very...American.

message 3: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 271 comments I totally agree with all the above about Peck, He also made some damn good westerns as well and a Noir film.

message 4: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

He sure did. One of America's most revered players.

The noir --are you thinking of 'Mirage'? I love films about amnesia; and often take up the theme in my own writing. Or are you thinking of 'Cape Fear'?

This is not to say Peck didn't appear in some dull films too. But a minority, I think. And how often do we hear that he missed a part because he was too 'stone-faced'?

message 5: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 271 comments Oops I made a mistake on the noir film, got him mixed up with Heston for some reason.

message 6: by W (new)

W Yes,Greg Peck is my favourite :
Pork Chop Hill
Twelve O 'Clock High
MacArthur
The Sea Wolves
The Guns of Navarone

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2565 comments I have never been a Gregory Peck fan, but he was good in '12 O'Clock High' although so was Robert Lansing in the tv series.

message 8: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I really admire the story of how Peck stepped in and saved veteran character-actor, Richard Jaeckal. Apparently Jaeckal (when he had come down with the terminal illness that finally carried him off) was broke and couldn't get insurance coverage to gain admittance to a well-known Hollywood actor's rest home. Peck heard of the predicament and personally stepped in with financial backing to see that his old co-star from the 1950s was made comfortable. Remember them facing off against each other in, 'The Gunfighter'?

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2565 comments That does speak well for him.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2847 comments What a fine gesture.