Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2)
This topic is about Midnight
Previous BOTM threads > [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - Midnight by Stephen Leather

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (last edited Aug 01, 2014 10:48AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) | 795 comments Mod
Midnight by Stephen Leather is our SERIES PICK for August. It is Book 2 of the Jack Nightengale paranormal detective series. It is rated General Adult.

Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2) by Stephen Leather Stephen Leather

“Your sister is going to hell, Jack Nightingale.”

Somehow, variations of that line keep former police negotiator Nightingale’s life careening in wild, unforeseen directions. This time, it is uttered by a dead woman hanging over a staircase, her neck broken by the laundry cord she tied around it before tossing herself over the banister. But Jack and his sister have been separated since birth…How can he save someone he’s never met?

Nightingale goes on the hunt for the sister he never knew, but everyone he talks to about her dies horribly. It’s as if someone—or something—is determined to keep them apart. If he's going to save her, he's going to have to do what he does best: negotiate. But any negotiation with the forces of darkness comes at a terrible price, and first Jack must ask himself a question: is every soul worth saving?

Are you reading this book? Shout it out in the discussion thread below! Find out who else is reading it. Start your own Book Buddy discussion. Share your thoughts and links to your reviews. Just remember to be kind and use the spoiler .html so you don't spoil the fun!

message 2: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 26 comments OH boy! I'm still reading the first book, which is engaging. I need to learn speed reading so I can get to the 2nd!

Janet Hecht (janet_hecht) | 23 comments I'm reading the first book also

Sarah I'm about halfway through book #2. I really love this series, it has such a wonderfully dark feel.

message 5: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 26 comments I'm just over halfway on the first. The writing is really good, and I'm feeling pretty badly for Jack right now with all the deaths. I can't help wondering what exactly is going to happen! And how he's going to get out of it.

Janet Hecht (janet_hecht) | 23 comments I just finished the first, Nightfall and I loved the story. Some parts of it moved a little slow, some weren't quite the depths I wanted, but the ending was excellent. I just started midnight. Sad that I was reading nightfall today where there were suicides the day after Robin Williams died.

Sarah I finished this today. Jack is starting to seem very self-centered to me, even if his intentions are good.

message 8: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 26 comments I just finished reading the first, and truly wanted to love it more than I did. I was trying to put my finger on what was missing for me, and maybe, while the writing is spot on, I think I needed something a little more visceral. It's like the guy is going through the meat grinder, but I couldn't really *feel* what he was going through. And yeah, I'd be drinking too! Loved the ending of the first...but not sure I'm in a hurry to pick up the second.

Sarah I really love the way the third book ends and I was so excited to find out there are now 5. This is one of my favorite series.

I think the writing is not quite as good as it could be, which is perhaps why it's hard to feel what's he's experiencing. For some reason I love books that deal with demons. Mike Carey's Felix Castor series is perfection. Nightingale is a little hard for me to empathize with because he's so self centered. I still enjoy the books and plan on rereading the series many times.

Also, there's one thing I found particularly interesting about Jenny's character. Most of the time when grown women call their father "Daddy" I think it sounds vapid and childish, but I found with Jenny that it actually sounds very affectionate. I'm curious about how the author pulled that one off.

Janet Hecht (janet_hecht) | 23 comments I finished Midnight. What bothered me was a lot of repeated phrases from the first such as a Jamie Oliver reference and the car being a banger. Jack seems to me to be either someone who has shut off emotions or doesn't know how to make meaning relationships with others.

Sarah I think he's shut off emotions because of what happened with Sophie. He gets a shot at redemption for that in the third book, and if I remember right it changes him a lot. For now he's just headed for the finish line with grim determination and not much else.

I was frustrated with him because in this book he's like "I want this and I want it now so I'm going to screw up everyone else's life".

Janet Hecht (janet_hecht) | 23 comments Sarah,

I am 2/3rds of the way through the 3rd book, and you are absolutely right. Jack begins to start processing his emotions and it becomes a much broader picture of him. I started to read the third book because I was curious if this would happen. I do worry that the author might lose some readers after the first or second book because this who would enjoy the third book. I am glad I soldiered on because it is well worth it.

Sarah I'm glad :) I thought that series was amazing and a huge part of that is book 3.

message 14: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 26 comments OK then, maybe I'll give books 2 and 3 a go!

Janet Hecht (janet_hecht) | 23 comments I thought Book 3, Nightmare, was excellent - I'm glad Did, it was well worth it.

message 16: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (new)

Just an FYI - LoP will continue on with this series through Book 5. We decided it was 'grandfathered' against the 'ebook availability' rule.

Sarah Yay! in so excited to read 4 and 5! And Janet, I'm glad you liked it. I love book 3 and I felt like I was over-encouraging (pushing) book 3, but I LOVE the way it ends. I just started Nightmare.

Pippa DaCosta | 2 comments I've just joined the group & saw you were reading this series. I absolutely love these books. Fast pace, gritty, nail biting action. I'll do a re-read :)

Tasha☺ Finished this book and liked it so much gore. It seemed a lot like the first book but was still good.

message 20: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (new)

Okay ... moving this thread over to 'previous' so I can post BOOK 3 of this series! Yea!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Midnight (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen Leather (other topics)