Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > Picture Books - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6198 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Picture Book nominee, She Persisted, in July. The winner for this genre was We're All Wonders. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6198 comments Mod
I only read the two chosen books (and because they were chosen). I thought both of them were good for different reasons.

We're All Wonders by R.J. Palacio was really cute and showed that some kids may be different in some ways, but still the same in others and that all kids are special in their own way. my review

She Persisted by Chelsea Clinton was good for introducing young girls to women that have accomplished goals they set for themselves regardless of barriers throughout history. It's a shame that the history books often skim over women and minorities. This one made a point to focus on women that many different young girls could relate to and for various accomplishments. Some of the women are well known, some not so well known, some are more current examples and some are more historical. There are 13 all together.

The only other one I plan to check out at some point is Spunky Little Monkey by Bill Martin Jr. , just because it looks so cute.

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2055 comments Mod
Spunky little monkey looks like something my son might like!