Hooked on Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > June 23rd, 2018

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Jun 23, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Welcome to our 24 hour long read-a-thon. Each reader reads from 12:01am to 11:59pm in their local time zone.

To sign up simply start yourself a post to track what you've read during the read-a-thon. Edit your post throughout the read-a-thon to let everyone know which books you've read and your total number of pages. Feel free to copy our template if you'd like or to invent your own.

Currently reading:

Pages:

Finished:

photo 21291983_zpscuxesfpc.gif :

Aindrea

Alyssa

Catie

Christina

Erin Message 18

Erin Message 21

Erin Message 32

Fail

Gabriela

Jacqueline

Janesa

Jonidyan

Karen

Kate

Katherine

Lesa

Leticia

Marisela

Meera

Melanie

Pamela

Rachel

Rawan

Sierra

Space Out

Swaroop

Trisha

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Jun 23, 2018 10:06PM) (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Currently reading: Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2) by Melissa F. Olson

Pages: 211

Finished: N/A

Not too bad considering I worked pretty much from 10 AM until 11 PM!

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pandareader36) | 49 comments I'm in

TBR
A Discovery of Witches
Thunderhead
Vampire Kisses manga 1-3
Book 2-4 of the Wrinkle in Time series
Behind Closed doors

message 4: by Lesa (last edited Jun 23, 2018 10:12PM) (new)

Lesa Divine | 94 comments Currently reading: That Night by Chevy Stevens (309 pages) The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia, #2) by Sarah Beth Durst (60 pages) Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2) by Brandon Sanderson (103 pages)

Pages:

Finished:

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (foreverinbloom) | 3 comments Currently Reading:

Pages Read:

Finished:

message 6: by Trisha (last edited Jun 23, 2018 03:19PM) (new)

Trisha | 423 comments I’m in!

TBR:
The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello

Pages: 362

Finished:
The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello

message 7: by Kate (last edited Jun 24, 2018 02:39AM) (new)

Kate | 152 comments I'm in too!

TBR: The Shack by William Paul Young The Iliad by Homer

Currently reading: The Shack 60 pages

Finished:
Dognapped! 64 pages
Sam, The Wee Fat Dog 64 pages
The British Museum Haiku 74 pages

Rattled through a couple of kids books and a poetry book.

message 8: by Rachel Anne (last edited Jun 23, 2018 05:03PM) (new)

Rachel Anne (racheldespins) | 160 comments This will be a graphic novel readathon for me lol. I've got a ton checked out from the library, plus I have to work.

TBR:
Black Bolt, Vol. 1 Hard Time by Saladin Ahmed Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) by Hiromu Arakawa The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang Redlands, Vol. 1 by Jordie Bellaire Royal City, Vol. 1 Next of Kin by Jeff Lemire The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill Black Hammer, Vol. 1 Secret Origins by Jeff Lemire

Currently Reading: Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) by Hiromu Arakawa

Pages:

Finished:
Black Bolt #1 by Saladin Ahmed Walter's Wonderful Web by Tim Hopgood

message 9: by Robyn (last edited Jun 23, 2018 03:59AM) (new)

Robyn (birdwithabrain) | 92 comments I have no idea if I'm actually free on Saturday, but hopefully I can get some reading done!

TBR:

Pages read: 320

Books finished: At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple #11) by Agatha Christie

message 10: by Gabriela (last edited Jun 23, 2018 05:30PM) (new)

Gabriela | 47 comments In!

Currently reading: Messenger (The Giver, #3) by Lois Lowry 187p The Good Girl by Mary Kubica 60p The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman 36p

Pages: 283

Finished: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica Messenger (The Giver, #3) by Lois Lowry

message 12: by Marisela (new)

Marisela (mariselaa) | 14 comments Currently Reading:

Pages:

Finished:

message 13: by Aindrea (last edited Jun 23, 2018 10:03PM) (new)

Aindrea (the_book_monger) This will be my first Read-a-thon, so I hope I'm understanding how to set up the track.

TBR:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog✔
The Outsider
Fruits Basket vol. 3✔

Currently reading: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers

Pages: 367

Finished: The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Fruits Basket volume 3

*extremely late start, but ready to read!*

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Aindrea wrote: "This will be my first Read-a-thon, so I hope I'm understanding how to set up the track.

TBR:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Outsider
Fruits Basket vol. 3

Pages:

Finished:"

Merry Meet! That looks amazing to me! I hope you have a great time during the readathon! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about anything!

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) ||Swaroop|| wrote: "Please count me in, Thanks Nicole!"

You know it! Happy to have you!

message 16: by Joni (last edited Jun 25, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments Currently reading:
Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)38pgsSummer Secrets135pgs

Pages: 173 total

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin | 12 comments I’d love to join!
TBR:
Currently reading:
Books finished:

message 18: by Catie (new)

Catie Cooper (catiecooper) | 27 comments I’m in

Currently reading

Books finished

Total pages

message 19: by Alyssa (last edited Jun 24, 2018 02:06AM) (new)

Alyssa I actually have a weekend off, so I can finally participate. Yay!

Currently reading:
The Bell Jar (pg 175-209)
Milk and Honey (pg 145-208)
Needful Things

To read:
The Head of Medusa (140 pgs)
The Princess Saves Herself in this One (199 pgs)
Drifters Volume 1 (pg 1-112)

Pages:
34+63+140+199+112= 548

Finished:
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur The Head of Medusa (Elementals, #3) by Michelle Madow The Princess Saves Herself in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace

message 20: by Sierra (last edited Jun 20, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

Sierra Lynn TBR: Slasher Girls & Monster Boys by April Genevieve Tucholke Turtles All the Way Down by John Green Carry On (Simon Snow, #1) by Rainbow Rowell Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake

Pages:

Finished:

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:24PM) (new)

Currently Reading: One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Pages: 51

Finished: Did not finish:(

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Harrington | 65 comments For the last weekend read-a-thon I barely read anything and I was so mad at myself. Hopefully I make more progress this time around!

TBR/Currently Reading: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare , Killers of the Dawn (Cirque Du Freak, #9) by Darren Shan , This Is Not the End by Chandler Baker

Pages:

Finished:

message 23: by Katherine (last edited Jun 23, 2018 02:00PM) (new)

Katherine | 103 comments 💜

💜 Paddington at the Carnival - 32 pages
💜 One Summer at Deer's Leap - 211 pages
💜 Castle in the Air - 285 pages

Pages: 528 pages

Finished:
Paddington at the Carnival (Read Aloud) by Michael Bond One Summer at Deer's Leap by Elizabeth Elgin Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2) by Diana Wynne Jones

message 24: by Aindrea (new)

Aindrea (the_book_monger) Nicole wrote: "Aindrea wrote: "This will be my first Read-a-thon, so I hope I'm understanding how to set up the track.

TBR:
The Outsider
Fruits Basket vol. 3

Pages:

Me..."

Thank you so much. I hope this first Read-a-thon goes well too. I may have missed it but is there any other social media accounts associated with this group or a hashtag?

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Aindrea wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aindrea wrote: "This will be my first Read-a-thon, so I hope I'm understanding how to set up the track.

TBR:
The Outsider
Fruits Basket vol. 3

Pages:
..."

We do not currently, but you are welcome to use #HookedOnBooks if you'd like. I do sometimes. Would seeing other social media and #s be something you'd be interested in seeing?

message 26: by Aindrea (new)

Aindrea (the_book_monger) Nicole wrote: "Aindrea wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aindrea wrote: "This will be my first Read-a-thon, so I hope I'm understanding how to set up the track.

TBR:
The Outsider
Fruits Basket..."

I think it would be a great idea to consider at least a linked Twitter account.

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Aindrea wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aindrea wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Aindrea wrote: "This will be my first Read-a-thon, so I hope I'm understanding how to set up the track.

TBR:
The Outside..."

I completely agree. Maybe it's something we'll see in the future! :)

message 28: by Rawan (new)

Rawan Manjal (rawan_manjal) | 6 comments Im gonna be a bit busy, but I'll try to get as much read as possible!

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1) by Holly Black

hours 1-6:
hours 7-12:
hours 13-18:
hours 19-24:

message 29: by Jacqueline (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

Jacqueline Ann | 4 comments I'm in!! Looking forward to just reading all day :)

Currently reading:The Prisoner in the Castle

Pages: 93

Finished:

message 30: by Erin (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:47PM) (new)

Erin I'm in.

Currently Reading: Last Call The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent 113pages, In Plain Sight The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders by Kathryn Casey 20pages, The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X 17pages

Pages:150pages

Finished: Last Call The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent In Plain Sight The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders by Kathryn Casey

message 31: by Meera (new)

Meera | 13 comments I'm in!

Currently Reading: Hunted by Meagan Spooner
Pages:
Finished:

message 32: by Karen (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 1446 comments Mod
I'm in. Not sure if I will get much reading done, but I'll try to get a few pages read.

Pages read: 174
Books finished: Change Management (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #23) by Sharon Lee (89 pages) Due Diligence (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #24) by Sharon Lee (85 pages)

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Hope everybody is having a great time reading today!!! I'm going to do a reading sprint from now until 5 PM EST if anybody wants to join me. I'll be posting for it on Twitter. @nickelgrl1986

message 34: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 449 comments A bit late, but here it goes:

Currently reading: The Humans by Matt Haig

Pages:

Finished:

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Leticia wrote: "A bit late, but here it goes:

Currently reading:The Humans by Matt Haig

Pages:

Happy to have you!!! Merry meet, my friend!

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Well it's 0:44 for me! For those of you still reading, go go go! For those of you who are already past midnight, how'd it go? You read as much as you wanted to? It's been fun! I can't wait to hang out with y'all next month! Thank you for joining!

message 37: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 423 comments Thanks, Nicole. I read more than I expected so the readathon was good. Though I was disappointed with my book choice The Memory Box. I had wanted to read it for ages, it started well but became weird. Without the readathon I might not have bothered to finish it.

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Trisha wrote: "Thanks, Nicole. I read more than I expected so the readathon was good. Though I was disappointed with my book choice The Memory Box. I had wanted to read it for ages, it started wel..."

I've had many books like that. I was so excited to read them. Got antsy to just read them above all but kept my patience. And then I finally read it and I'm like meh about it. You're stronger than I am. I would have picked up another book anyways!

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 1446 comments Mod
Thanks Nicole, this readathon really helped push me to finish up some books that have been on my radar.

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Karen wrote: "Thanks Nicole, this readathon really helped push me to finish up some books that have been on my radar."

Awe! I'm glad to hear it! I'm the same way with the readathons! Hope you join in next month!

message 41: by Aindrea (new)

Aindrea (the_book_monger) I finished my goals of finishing The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Fruits Basket volume 3. Even with a raging migraine. All in all I would say pretty successful for my first readathon.

message 42: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 449 comments Nicole wrote: "

Happy to have you!!! Merry meet, my friend!"

Thanks! I still didn't finish the Humans, but started another book. I'm not finishing many books lately but leaving a trail of started books. Eventually I'll finish them.

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Aindrea wrote: "I finished my goals of finishing The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Fruits Basket volume 3. Even with a raging migraine. All in all I would say pretty successful for my first readathon."

Even if you just read a page, it's successful! With a migraine though! Wow I'm very impressed! I hope you're feeling better! I also hope you join us next month! It was great to have you!

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Leticia wrote: "Nicole wrote: "

Happy to have you!!! Merry meet, my friend!"

Thanks! I still didn't finish the Humans, but started another book. I'm not finishing many books lately but leaving a trail of started..."

I've been the same way. Don't sweat it babe! You'll get there!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.