Terminalcoffee discussion

Entertainment ... and sports too > Worst Movie of the Year

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments A new topic for the grist mill that is Terminal Coffee.

What is your anti-recommendation for the worst movie you have viewed this year? ( please include Calendar year with title) A link to a movie web site is optional.

Getting the ball rolling with the first nomination for 2018:

Red Sparrow (2018)

This 'memorable' Jennifer Lawrence starring cinematic mess features the main character uttering to her Uncle the following line:

You sent me to Whore School.

It got worse, or already was . . .

Your nominations? ? ?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments I'm reading the novel now, and it's not great, so I'm not surprised that the movie wasn't great, either.

I don't go to see movies at the cinema much any more, and I'm picky when I do, so I'm not going to be able to contribute much to this discussion of bad movies for 2018.

I can say that Passengers with Lawrence and Pratt was pretty crappy. Jennifer needs some sage advice about movies she chooses.

As far as worst movie of the year, it's probably not something any of us chose to watch.

message 3: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Scout wrote: "I'm reading the novel now, and it's not great, so I'm not surprised that the movie wasn't great, either.

I don't go to see movies at the cinema much any more, and I'm picky when I do, so I'm not g..."

It's a quest that I pursue every so many years. Started in the 1980's when I went to a theater once a week or more.

Now I can watch almost everything anywhere within at most a few weeks of release. Some I see in the theater, some from the comfort of my couch, and some via the phone while waiting around in parking lots, waiting rooms, lobbies, etc.

The addition of the year to the title is that there are lots of potentially 'good' movies that I want to watch that are older and every so often a truly bad movie slips in to view. THAT is what jumps out.

Or in other words - HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 1 & 2 (2010 & 2015). I'll let you, gentle reader, do you own search and due diligence on these two. Don't say you were not warned . . .

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Here's a really bad one from 2017: Snatched. I only saw it at the theater because my friend objected to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which was a much better movie. Snatched was a lousy movie.

message 5: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Snatched is not a "good" film, but parts of it crack me up. (Granted I didn't pay to see it in a theater.) It's stupid/funny, so you have to be in the mood for that kind of movie. The part where she comes back to the hotel drunk off her ass and has an argument with her mom KILLS me every time.

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments The worst move I saw in the theater recently was The Fate of the Furious in 2017. Not that I was surprised, mind you.

message 7: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 5 comments I do have to say Red Sparrow is a terrible film. Honestly there could be more development within the characters and the plot in my opinion. Usually if I liked a film that has a book I would go out and get the book and then read it, then rewatch the film. But with this film I have no intention in doing so.
Many people may hate for what I am going to say now. But I don’t really rate the twilight films/books. The plot is predictable, there is hardly any character development and I just think it is over rated. That is my opinion, some of you are bound to disagree.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24389 comments Mod
Bridgette wrote: "Many people may hate for what I am going to say now. But I don’t really rate the twilight films/books. The plot is predictable, there is hardly any character development and I just think it is over rated. That is my opinion, some of you are bound to disagree."

I seriously doubt that...

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

"Florence Foster Jenkins" was pretty bad.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jan 18, 2019 11:51AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments "Bohemian Rhapsody" was er, sort of slow. I pulled it in on the Firestick so it's not like I'm out any money, but that's two hours I'll never get back.

The prosthetic overbite on the guy that played Freddie Mercury still haunts my every waking moment.

message 11: by CD (last edited Jun 29, 2019 06:37PM) (new)

CD  | 1570 comments I've got to vote for Aquaman(2018) as being really terrible.

The story line was thin. The acting talents of the couple of cast members with them were poorly used. In fact they were almost parodies of performance. At least two main characters were just trite.

If you've seen the film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets , you've seen all the visual effects. At least Valerian had Rhianna and Cara Delavingne.

message 12: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Reviews for CATS(2019) look pretty grim.

Not much love for the Star Wars Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker.

message 13: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Ad Astra was disappointing, but not the worst.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments Yes, Ad Astra was baaaaaad.

message 15: by CD (last edited Dec 25, 2020 04:59PM) (new)

CD  | 1570 comments After the 2020 year of watching far more films than I perhaps ever have, one 2020 release just jumped out here recently
Let Them All Talk(2020) .

This movie starring Meryl Streep, Candace Bergen, Diane Wiest among others and is directed by Steven Soderbergh. They.Should.Be.Ashamed! This is a dreadful waste of talent and time. The editor should lose their card(Soderbergh). The screen writer should turn in their card. The improvised dialogue was just dreadful and caused the film to drag even more profusely than one could imagine. These are talented actors but their improv skills need a lot of work.

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Try getting past the first five minutes of The Prom with Meryl Streep. Maybe quarantine was a good idea.

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments French Exit with Michelle Pfeiffer. I wasted my money on this one. Terrible.

message 18: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Scout wrote: "French Exit with Michelle Pfeiffer. I wasted my money on this one. Terrible."

Glad to know as I had considered watching it.

message 19: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Georgetown (2019).
click here -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4669252/...

NOTE: Goodreads has decided to no longer allow neatly HTML referenced links outside of their own site! Older such links are holding up at this time. This only going to make this site uglier than ever. :(

Great cast. Great disaster. Huge waste. So sad.

This is based on a true story. Names have been changed and the story arc altered as is often the case with this genre. The movie fails on many merits (or lack of) including a script that seems to have been improvised and rewritten constantly.

Regardless of the cast of Vanessa Redgrave, Christoph Waltz and Annette Bening, AVOID!

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Creating html links is still working for me.

message 21: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Creating html links is still working for me."

Try creating a link like the ones in message 11 or 15 above. Following the template from the (some html is ok) at above right will now result in a security warning.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Aug 24, 2021 09:12PM) (new)

Oh yes, that's because there are some bad actors creating spam links. In fact I've been flagging these to GR myself. Sometimes in your feed you'll see the "more" html link, inserted by GR when someone's comment goes over a certain number of characters. Clicking on "more" should just expand the comment. But spammers were using the word "more" as text to insert an href link behind it, taking you to external sites like Amazon or other sales sites.

However, I did insert an href link into a review just yesterday. See if it lets you insert one in a review.

message 23: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Vanquish, 2021. Ruby Rose and Morgan Freeman.
This one is sooooo bad on every level. Unbelievable!!! The special effects, though not cheap, suck. The script, acting, supporting characters, suck. This movie is plain bad. Morgan Freeman is obviously collecting a paycheck. Ruby Rose is just weak.

message 24: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Encounter with Octavia Spencer and Riz Ahmed. A waste of time.

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments The Lost Daughter is pretty bad, despite a great cast.