Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gregory, Philippa - The Kingmaker's Daughter (The Cousins' War #4) Start Date: August 15, 2014

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:48AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30807 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Spies, poison, and curses surround her...

Is there anyone she can trust?

The Kingmaker's Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the "Kingmaker," Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters, Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker's daughter will achieve her father's greatest ambition.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I can't wait to start this one! What date are we starting?

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Greta wrote: "I can't wait to start this one! What date are we starting?"

The 15th.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments As it's the 17th, I have my copy of this book from the library, and am about to start reading!

message 6: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Nicole, I just got my copy from the library and will start ASAP...I have to finish one book for sure first though.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Hehe, I finished three books over the weekend already ;)

message 8: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I'm jealous!!

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I had a lovely weekend!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Well, I'm getting close to about halfway through the book and... I'm not actually disappointed. I think this book had a lot of potential to be disappointing as, for those of us who have read the books in order for this series, there isn't any event that is going to come as a surprise anymore.

However, I find myself invested in the character of Anne and, as she is slightly separate to the court for a lot of the book, we haven't seen so much as heard hearsay on her story up till now.

How are other people finding it?

message 11: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I am about 1/4 way through and am enjoying it. I like hearing Anne's story so far. I agree, you would think that by the 4th book you'd lose interest in the same story but I just find it fascinating to read from all of these different perspectives.

message 12: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I finished this and really liked it, 4 stars. I loved reading Anne's perspective since it differed so much from Elizabeth Woodville's. It is amazing how many misunderstandings there were between the two women and sides! They both paint such different pictures of each other and I really feel like it was so interesting to read both points of view.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Do we actually have a reading thread for White Princess? I can't find it anywhere, and the newsletter has no information on it this month :(

message 14: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I don't know. I'd love to read it though!

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I would love to read it with you! Wonder if we can convince a mod to create a thread?

message 16: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments That would be great :-) I think Lisarenee has created them in the past. I will message her.

message 17: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Never mind, it was the mods. I will message them.

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14221 comments Mod
Lisarenee has run off with a handsome pirate but I can set up a thread for you when I get home later today. When would you like to start it?

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Tomorrow! I dunno, I've got the book ready to go cause we've always started around this time of month. When would you like to start, Greta?

message 20: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I have a couple books I need to finish first but you can start it whenever & I will start ASAP.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I too have two books I should finish. Let's have it start Monday/Tuesday and we'll get to it in a couple of days.

message 22: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ok, I've set up book 5 here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

and took the liberty to set up book 6 here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

:)
-Karen

message 23: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Thanks!

Nicole, your plan sounds great!

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments This book took much longer than I expected to read. Usually Philippa Gregory books are pleasures for me and I can read through without wanting to put them down. However, this one seemed to drag a lot and be bogged down by the same rumors and suspicions over and over. I did really enjoy reading about Anne Neville. She is someone I haven't thought much about and is rarely mentioned in other books (other than as a pawn in her father's and husbands' schemes). It was interesting to compare this time from her point of view versus Elizabeth Woodville's. Mrs. Gregory has a great talent for setting not only the tone of the book, but molding your opinions and feelings to those of the main character. In previous books, I always sympathized with Elizabeth, but in this novel I really felt I understand Anne's plight and her many fears.

I wish there was more action involving Anne in this story, though I understand that would be hard because not much is known about her. Though there was so much happening throughout the country, I felt like all we got was Anne's fear of Elizabeth over and over and over. I got a little tired of it by the end and just felt like something was missing from this story. Also, I was definitely missing some of the romance that is typical of Mrs. Gregory's novels. One of the reasons I love her books if for the soap-opera feel, which was a little lacking here.

Overall I did enjoy this book, but it was not my favorite of the series. I am hoping for more in The White Princess.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Kingmaker's Daughter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philippa Gregory (other topics)